Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Does anyone think that Bob Costas is the new Dick Clark? As in, ageless in a creepy way?

Seriously, man. I remember him being a fairly good looking guy back in, oh, 1988, when he first did this Olympics ringmaster thing. Some 25 years later and. . . he looks frighteningly similar. Whether it's makeup or plastic surgery or a combination, it's scary.

Also, last night, hubby was commenting on how all the commentators' eyes had a glint in them. Sure enough, when I looked, they all had a glint in them, like there was a light right in front of each commentator. Which couldn't have been the case as they were all in different venues. He contends they were added post-production.
    I thinks it's more likely the lights that shine in their eyes constantly with those shiny reflectors over the top. With some of them it could also be contac lenses.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    The NBC online feed is shit. It keeps freezing on me. All versions are shit.

vCash
    A big WARNING to those who try this:
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Live stream here, no comments, good quality:
    http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/2/104/v-430464.html
    (Got it over in the men's gymnastics thread)

It is BAD. It opened the floodgates on my computer to all kinds of malware. YMMV with whatever virus protection you have (let me just tell you, whatever's built into Windows 7 is NOT sufficient), but I had to have my hubby reset my computer to the day before I downloaded it. Hosed my new computer big time.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    The NBC online feed is shit. It keeps freezing on me. All versions are shit.
    rant
    X Infinity. Very disappointing. I wish I knew who to write at NBC to let them know I'm making a list of the advertisers - the only thing on the feed that streams smoothly - so I know what NOT to buy over the next 4 years!

/rant

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
    rant
    X Infinity. Very disappointing. I wish I knew who to write at NBC to let them know I'm making a list of the advertisers - the only thing on the feed that streams smoothly - so I know what NOT to buy over the next 4 years!

/rant
    Don't even try it. I gave it a shot yesterday and their contact us system doesn't work.

It's awful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
    rant

/rant
    From past experience - comcast (Xfinity) has trouble in the heat. Is it hot in your area?

Also - I'm assuming you have done the essential things that might help

- clear your cache (on all browsers)
    - reset your modem
    - try a different browser (firefox, Chrome, safari for Macs).

vCash
    My only real complaint about NBC's coverage is the fluff pieces - they seem to particularly nauseating this time around. The only one worth watching so far was that one they did with Ryan Lochte where he showed off his Cross-fit type of workouts - the tires he tosses around, etc.

vCash
    For those recording - tonight's Prime Time went overtime. Thank heaven I could go back and catch what my recording missed. It also means the late night show times will be affected.

vCash
    One gets comfortably to watch commercials on NBC and they keep interrupting the pleasure showing some sports from London.

vCash
    Change.org petition imploring NBC to broadcast the "biggest events" of the Olympics live

http://www.change.org/petitions/nbc-...lye_PrqGhddvjI

While viewers in most countries around the world get to watch the Olympics live, we in America are stuck waiting for hours until NBC airs the events in primetime. By the time NBC gets around to showing the events, we've already seen the results on Twitter, on Facebook, on news websites, and even announced by Brian Williams on the NBC Nightly News.

It makes me so angry that big networks like NBC still control how Americans perceive reality. The Olympics are supposed to mean something AND THEY DO to many of us. Every two years, the whole world comes together to watch our best athletes compete. That should be more important than how much money NBC makes for two weeks.

Olympic athletes train their entire lives, waking at the crack of dawn for years hoping just to make it to the Olympics. I want my three kids to be inspired by these athletes and the dedication it takes to compete at that level. That's why I'm asking NBC to do two things:

1. Air the 2012 Olympics live.
    2. Pledge to air future Olympics live as well.

It's fine if NBC wants to tape the Olympics and air the tapes during primetime viewing hours. But they should be showing the Olympics live so that we can experience the emotional intensity that defines the Olympics and makes it so special.

I’m no athlete but I do love the excitement of watching a great competition and I certainly want to experience history AS IT HAPPENS – not when the media decides they can make enough money to show it to me.
    Not sure how much good it will do. I don't think NBC gives a flying fart about what viewers want.

vCash
    I tuned in last night specifically to see the valt heard 'round the world, and settled in to watch the competition. Saw a few minutes of gymastics, had no idea what they were doing technically, or why their routines were good/bad, because they waste so much time letting Al Trautwig bloviate about nothing instead of actually explaining what was going on. I know they're all good, but other than the mile long vault, what makes one superior to the other?

Why do they split up the coverage so much? Gymnastics is the marquee event, and deserves uninterupted coverage. The second time they cut away for skeet shooting or snails mating or whatever, I gave up and went to bed. I'm sure the skeet shooters/snail mating event was wonderful, but 6am comes too early for me to care.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    Change.org petition imploring NBC to broadcast the "biggest events" of the Olympics live

http://www.change.org/petitions/nbc-...lye_PrqGhddvjI

Not sure how much good it will do. I don't think NBC gives a flying fart about what viewers want.
    It's all about the money (ratings). This Olympics it looks like NBC will be in the black - barely. I think they lost money in Vancouver.

If it can be proven that NBC will make money by broadcasting the events live, they will do it. I think their major sponsors require -

- The major events be broadcast during prime time (live or not)
    - The major events ONLY be broadcast during prime time.

Swimming heats are shown during the day but finals are only on in prime time. It has always seemed crazy to me that we only see limited coverage of the biggest sports - gymnastics, swimming, track and field, even diving (figure skating in winter). Other sports are broadcast completely - soccer, basketball etc. - on specialty channels and on the periphery networks.

I'm sure it has to do with the advertizing dollars and the offers that are made to advertizing companies. Again, if it can be proven that NBC will get the ratings and the money by showing complete coverage, they will change quickly.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    I tuned in last night specifically to see the valt heard 'round the world, and settled in to watch the competition. Saw a few minutes of gymastics, had no idea what they were doing technically, or why their routines were good/bad, because they waste so much time letting Al Trautwig bloviate about nothing instead of actually explaining what was going on. I know they're all good, but other than the mile long vault, what makes one superior to the other?
    I watched the NBC broadcast of the men's TF, and later the BBC stream with my proxy. Louis Smith's PH routine was shown on both, and it was SHOCKING how lacking the NBC commentators were. (I believe it's when the NBC commentator went, "No. No, that won't do it." Well WHY??? ) The BBC commentators will actually name the moves as the gymnasts are doing them, and state when something is "undercooked." I actually learn something!

15" laptop for BBC vs my friend's giant HDTV for NBC, I'm sticking to my computer.

vCash
    It's an hour and a half into the broadcast, and just talk, commercials, and Misty May looking bitchy.

I am going to assume that the prettiest Russian gymnast with all the hair glitter is the best, but I doubt they will even show her. At least she isn't saddled with the cringe inducing moniker "Flying squirrel". Really dislike all the fluff, and I don't care much how they got there, just show them competing already!

Yay, Michale Phelps making a constipated face, and now a commercial.

vCash
    Leesaleesa-they split up gymnastics coverage BECAUSE it is the marquee event. It forces you to watch the whole night.

vCash
    I know, and it pisses me off because it's so much filler. I'm sure Phelps is a wonderful person, but do they have to cut to him making dumb faces so often?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    It's all about the money (ratings). This Olympics it looks like NBC will be in the black - barely. I think they lost money in Vancouver.

If it can be proven that NBC will make money by broadcasting the events live, they will do it. I think their major sponsors require -

- The major events be broadcast during prime time (live or not)
    - The major events ONLY be broadcast during prime time.

Swimming heats are shown during the day but finals are only on in prime time. It has always seemed crazy to me that we only see limited coverage of the biggest sports - gymnastics, swimming, track and field, even diving (figure skating in winter). Other sports are broadcast completely - soccer, basketball etc. - on specialty channels and on the periphery networks.

I'm sure it has to do with the advertizing dollars and the offers that are made to advertizing companies. Again, if it can be proven that NBC will get the ratings and the money by showing complete coverage, they will change quickly.
    The On Demand service with Cox Cable has a category for these Olympics. So I think great-- I want to watch full coverage of certain events. What I thought that would mean is that I could watch other teams besides Americans and Russians in ladies gymnastics. Nope. For the ladies event they start with the Russians vaulting and go from there. It is what was shown in prime time and that is it so far. They have a separate category for Maroney's vault and it was spectacular but I want to see the WHOLE event. I feel like the world is watching the 2012 Olympics and we are watching back in say--1996.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    The On Demand service with Cox Cable has a category for these Olympics. So I think great-- I want to watch full coverage of certain events. What I thought that would mean is that I could watch other teams besides Americans and Russians in ladies gymnastics. Nope. For the ladies event they start with the Russians vaulting and go from there. It is what was shown in prime time and that is it so far. They have a separate category for Maroney's vault and it was spectacular but I want to see the WHOLE event. I feel like the world is watching the 2012 Olympics and we are watching back in say--1996.
    You do know that whole events are available on line, I hope. The on demand features are usually just those that have been on TV.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    You do know that whole events are available on line, I hope. The on demand features are usually just those that have been on TV.
    could you clarify a bit? where on nbcolympics.com may i find these whole events? and can you only catch them live or can you watch them after the event has already concluded?

i have cable subscription high-speed internet and was able to watch some events live, but since so many events take place at once and during the work day...

thanks in advance

vCash
    Here is an NBCOlympics.com link for today's women's all around. There is a main feed, plus you can open windows for each event. I've been opening 4 windows to watch all 4 simultaneously!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/online-li...t-2/index.html

For future events like event finals, click on the correct day towards the top of the page.

For events that have already occurred:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/gymnastic...t&vx=grid&px=1

Click on the arrow next to "Event" and it will show you a list of what has been archived. You may not find everything that was streamed live, but it's a lot more than you will get on NBC TV.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast