Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash

Hundreds missing as South Korea ferry sinks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27045512

Almost 300 people remain unaccounted for after a ferry carrying 459 people capsized and sank off South Korea.

The ferry, carrying mainly school students, was travelling from the port of Incheon, in the north-west, to the southern resort island of Jeju.

Emergency teams are using floodlights and flares to search the stricken vessel through the night. Those rescued have been taken to a nearby island.

Four people are now said to have died and dozens of others have been hurt.

South Korean officials had earlier said that 368 people had been plucked to safety, but later said there had been a counting error. They have now revised down the number rescued to 174.

South Korean TV networks are constantly replaying dramatic footage of the rescue efforts before the ferry sinks. It shows an armada of small boats motoring right up beside the ferry, which listed heavily on its side before sinking.

Rescuers are seen desperately grabbing teenagers out of the water before they are swept away by the currents and undertow. Other footage shows helicopters throwing orange life rafts to passengers bobbing on the sea. Some of the passengers are then winched to safety.

What makes this accident even more distressing is the fact that among those on board were high school students on a trip to a holiday island.

Relatives and friends of those on board are posting on social media sites asking for any news or information about loved ones.

On Facebook many South Koreans are re-posting a yellow ribbon to symbolise the hope that the missing may still be found alive.

"Please, please survive and come back," the message reads. "We love you guys."
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Prayers and thoughts to the victims and their families.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    I read this earlier. How sad!

vCash
    What a dreadful tragedy.

vCash
    Awful for any reason---but so many young people lost---so sad.

vCash
    What a disaster... I've read that the passengers were asked not to move and remain seated, but when the floor became uneven, it became hard to walk and get out. It's too early to tell if that contributed to the high death toll, but I guess I will keep in mind after reading this to also follow my instinct, should I find myself in a dangerous situation...

vCash
    This is heartbreaking.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Such a tragedy. Those poor families

vCash
    Such a tragic and heart-breaking story....

vCash
    How terrible.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    The captain survived. I think his life is going to get pretty unpleasant.