Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Mad Men ~ the final season (first half)

Season 7 (first 7 episodes of 14) kicks off on Sunday, April 13 at 10 pm ET/PT: http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men

'Mad Men' Premiere: 7 Questions for Season 7 (no spoilers): http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...estions-695460
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Ooooh, I can't wait! I've been re-watching Season 6 this past week in preparation...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    So looking forward to this.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men

Just a heads up!

In the last scene of last season, Don brought Sally to whorehouse where he was raised.

Nixon was just elected president (1968).

The gang was spending more and more time in California.

Let's see what happens….

ETA: Interesting WaPo article: http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men

Cleverly juxtaposes the series and characters w/ the devolvement of the times (beginning of the 1960s to their end):

snip:

The show’s seventh season begins Sunday on AMC in the same hazy, anxious, uncertain manner that encumbered its previous season. It’s hard to tell if what we’re seeing is meant to be taken in any way as a linear story; more and more, it unfolds like a hallucination — David Lynch minus the dancing dwarf — or a vivid drug trip that’s appropriate to the era. Maybe this is how “Mad Men” is supposed to end, with less clarity and order than it started out with, as one giant analogy to the decade it portrays. Someone’s having this dream, but you’re not sure who it is.
    snip #2 (another analogy of the progression of the 1960s):

In its early seasons, “Mad Men” exulted in these features of the ’60s and then sullied them with adultery, cruelty, deception, depression.
    snip #3 (Mad Men will introduce to the 1970s):

Now “Mad Men” leans toward a hint of the 1970s, where all things go to seed. The show seemed uncharacteristically clumsy last season in its depiction of 1968, verging on a paisley-and-hippy themed costume party as it tried to get the details as perfect as it had in earlier seasons.

Here, in January 1969, the show has located that groove; it simply looks more confident and real again. Its characters are starting to adopt the casualness of the era. The freer they get, the more they let their hair down (literally or so to speak), the unhappier life seems. Surely this can’t only be a subliminal vibe occasioned by the costume department; “Mad Men” and its viewers find the encroaching ’70s repellent.

This is a commonly held aesthetic opinion about American culture: The ’60s were beautiful, and then the beauty was destroyed, in part by the mainstreaming of counter-culture. It’s an “Oz” effect, in which America goes from black-and-white to a vivid anarchy that prefers the sloppy, the poly-blend, the scantily unkempt. The ’70s will arrive just as the show winds down; the colors run together and become garish, leaving us in that Watergate-era beige brutalism that we’ve learned to love only ironically.

Does anyone ever page through a family photo album and remark at how much more beautiful everyone looks in the ’70s than they did in the ’60s? (Usually it’s the other way around — the ’60s photographs are rescued and scanned and shared on Facebook and funeral videos; the ’70s photos are mocked on Throwback Thursday.) This isn’t only about clothes; it’s a commentary about people: What happened to us? Where did it go wrong?
    Anyone old enough to remember this way? I was a small child, but the decade(s) of this period and the more radical changes in America fascinate me endlessly. I guess it's why I love the show so much.

vCash
    Thanks, olympic! Here's the link to the Washington Post article you meant to copy: http://www.washingtonpost.com/entert...245_story.html

Another WaPo article: Why ‘Mad Men’ needs Sally Draper
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men

Anyone old enough to remember this way? I was a small child, but the decade(s) of this period and the more radical changes in America fascinate me endlessly. I guess it's why I love the show so much.
    Yes, I remember it this way. I was born in 1960, and was a teen in the 1970's.

vCash
    I was born in 1961. My first awareness of the world outside my immediate circle started in 1968, but I do remember domestic, personal details from before then.

I don't remember the styles particularly more fondly from my childhood compared with adolescence. But I wasn't in a position to see high fashion as a young child.

I remember thinking that all teenagers were hippies and looked forward to becoming one myself.

vCash
    Sylvia, got your PM. I thought you were omnipotent ….

vCash
    I wonder what cult Roger's daughter got involved in....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    I wonder what cult Roger's daughter got involved in....
    That is an interesting question.

The writing in this 1st episode was not as muddled as some past episodes. The story lines were pretty clear.

I hope I see Betty Draper + kids soon. I wonder what they are up to …

I'm a little perplexed by Roger's story line, though: I thought the 60s was all about a generation gap. It seems odd that a WWII vet would be hanging w/ the counter-culture.

Don and Peggy - on the verge of nervous breakdowns. I think women are the glue Don needs to hold himself together. When they are not present, he falls apart. He can cheat on them, always be distant from them, but he really needs them in his corner. Peggy seems to be lonely and thus throws herself into her career. Prototype of what would be women's struggles in the years to come? Balancing career w/ a woman's societal expectations???

Couldn't figure out the woman on the plane, then realized it was Neve Campbell! LOL. Wow. You looked older in the 60s than in the present date.

Megan, alone, isolated in the hills overlooking L.A. in 1969. Don made a comment about it when he saw her home. I smell the Tate-LaBianca murders influencing her story line, the way Mad Men brings news of the day into the series.

Pete made me giggle for some reason. I wonder if we'll have a Gay storyline from him. Just an unsubstantiated hunch I have.

vCash
    It was shocking to see Pete so happy for many reason, and most of the others did seem at their most miserable, but it don't understand why everyone (read a few recaps this am) keeps discussing Megan only as a plot device and not a character. Like Pete, she seems really happy. Likes her house, her life in la, seems to be doing well in career. No one cares. All these seasons later and she's just talked about as a don prop, symbolism, like she's the tv. And this by the same bloggers who keep harping on the sexism Peggy and Joan face.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    It was shocking to see Pete so happy for many reason, and most of the others did seem at their most miserable, but it don't understand why everyone (read a few recaps this am) keeps discussing Megan only as a plot device and not a character. Like Pete, she seems really happy. Likes her house, her life in la, seems to be doing well in career. No one cares. All these seasons later and she's just talked about as a don prop, symbolism, like she's the tv. And this by the same bloggers who keep harping on the sexism Peggy and Joan face.
    That's the whole point, though. Don doesn't care either. To him, she really is just a "Don prop." She has moved on and seems to enjoy her new situation, so there really isn't much to say about Megan at this point, except that her teeth seem to look worse every season...

vCash
    ^Kind of like that. I hate it when actresses try too hard to look perfect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    ^Kind of like that. I hate it when actresses try too hard to look perfect.
    Perfection isn't realistic, but her chompers/gums/gaps are not appealing at all.

http://www.thesnipenews.com/thegutte...4-1024x767.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...%A9_(2012).jpg
    Last edited by nubka; 04-15-2014 at 02:57 AM.

vCash
    I almost felt like I was watching an episode directed by Scorcese at the start when Megan was walking around the car.

There were so many interesting things about the episode. Don working behind the scenes. Roger going all hippy (although that really isn't a surprise). Pete being happy.

Felt really sorry for Peggy. Whilst Don was a bit of a prick, at least he showed her respect for her work.

I love the way Joan works. She really is quite clever in playing the game sometimes.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    OK. It's Valentine's Day, 1969.

Poor Peggy, trapping herself in a comedy of errors re the roses. It was comical and sad to watch. She really is being pegged as a 'nobody' this season

Shuffling Secretaries seemed to be a big part of the episode. Joan seems irritated but gets some unexpected relief.

But, the big scenes were between Don and Sally. He loses his daughter's trust but really strains to get it back.

vCash
    I guess I'm the only one watching. LOL.

How the mighty have fallen - This was all about Don not being wanted at home or at work. Even Joan is kind of spitting on him.

I see that Peggy and Betty are traveling down the path of sullen bitterness. Betty is downright delusional

vCash
    I'm watching. I just posted in the Davis and White thread, Scheherazade started playing in the movie and worlds collided!

If they want me to sympathize with Don--mission accomplished. I need to re-watch the end of last season so I can go back to not liking him.

The show lights up when Ginsberg and Stan are on screen. Loved seeing Francine again, too. Otherwise, kind of meh so far.

vCash
    I always watch. I was pulling for Don to say "No" to their offer last night. You know Lou will never approve any idea that comes from him.

vCash
    I was thinking that at this point surely any alternate offer would be better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast