Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thank you so much for the review, Wyliefan. So many great skaters. Maybe we'll see some of this online (hopefully). It would be fantastic if it came out on DVD.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    I just put up my full review of the show including quotes from several of the skaters: http://icemusings.blogspot.com/2012/...ions-live.html

Ashley's program is going to be great. She's already showing so much potential. Nagasu skated a show program and it was gorgeous. She looked so at ease on the ice.

I think one of the cutest things I saw was Elise Romola running around after the show collecting autographs from the other skaters

It was a great show and all of the skaters were so gracious as always. They hung around in the meet and greet and talked to fans for about an hour and then signed autographs for people waiting outside on their way out as well.

vCash
    Really nice job, icemusings! You got some good quotes.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Thanks, Wyliefan!

vCash
    thanks for the reviews. especially glad to hear about mirai and ashley skating beautifully.

vCash
    Got back from the show...not a whole lot to add, but I will say this: Wagner's fans are in for a treat this season if the preview we saw of her SP is any indication.

Nagasu was MUCH better than when I saw her on SOI two years ago. We need to see more of this Nagasu in competition.

It was a great show...it seemed to go by so quickly, though!

vCash
    I don't have much to add to Wyliefan's report except to expound on Ashley's gorgeous new SP to 'Red Violin.' She went all-out and tried all elements in the program except for doing a combo...in other words, her jumping passes were, in this order:

solo triple (loop, I think)...likely will be the spot for her combo in the future
    2 axel
    3ple flip ... slight 2-foot.

The passion and musicality are extraordinary. Great choreography. Ashley is becoming quite the dancer and performer out there; much, much more than a competetent skater. She oozes self confidence...like a true champion. Brava!

The cuts of music are from soft to wildly fast. Begins with a slow vocalise...then the slightly-dissonant slow music (remember that from Kwan's LP to same music)...then very fast for final circular footwork, immediately into combo spin, ending in a sudden bold pose. This has the makings of a masterpiece.

Dress - she wore the plainish-black spaghetti-strap dress that we've seen her wear before at a couple of G-P events in the past. This is surely not her final competition outfit. I can't wait to see this program in 'full bloom' with proper make-up, hair, outfit...and that 3ple-3ple combo intact!

All in all, a great start to this program & Ashley.

Other notes: John Kerr did a great job on his own, garnering huge applause for his solo hydroblading. RYAN BRADLEY had THE most applauded and 'woo-hoo'ed' program of the day (well, Capitol Steps synchro group came pretty close). The guy is electric!!!! Mirai had lovely spins and flow. Finally, I was pleasantly surprised by the great progress in the singing of Annie Mae Weiss; this is the best number I've heard from her, pitch-wise, with resonance and feeling. Her dad, of course, was his usual magnificent self. I enjoyed the entire show. "First rate," as Uncle Dick Button would say.

p.s. I filmed from up high but, alas, don't know how to upload my DVD to You Tube. One of these days I'll learn.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 09-09-2012 at 10:47 PM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Thanks for the review. John Kerr's number sounds great.

vCash
    A couple of years ago I had an on-ice seat and just felt awkward sitting there. When I saw the option for sitting on a hockey bench instead, I went for it. Good place to sit (with a cushion, of course). It's slightly elevated from the on-icers, plenty of personal space, and a clear view of most of the rink.

I took video of the last minute of most performances. I've asked Weiss for permission to post it. I haven't received a response yet, but if he wants me to remove it, I will.

http://youtu.be/wt3wgRQZHKk

vCash
    I ran into a really bad storm and got to the rink a bit late, so I missed Gigi and Luca’s performance,
    which I was looking forward to.

Overall it was a great show and am very thankful to Mike and those
    who made this happen.

Since there are excellent reviews already here, I'd just add a few comments with some photos I took:

- John Kerr's solo was awesome!
    His performance included an axel jump (he said he did it because people bet on if he can do it, lol),
    the eagle with his hands in the pocket, a solo death-spiral (is that how it is called?), etc.
    http://twitpic.com/asmsrm/full
    http://twitpic.com/asuwf8/full

- Richard Dornbush did a funny "nerd" program.
    A bunch of his hairs always stood up even when he did jumps and break-dancing. Wondering if his hair was set?
    http://twitpic.com/asm41o

- Mirai Nagasu did her signature moves such as ina-bauer and a Bielman spin,
    but what I was impressed with was her eagle - it was beautiful!
    http://twitpic.com/asmbos/full

- Brian Boitano is still one of the fastest skaters out there!
    http://twitpic.com/asnjap/full

- Ashley Wagner did her passionate SP routine.
    A very promising program!
    http://twitpic.com/asvuih
    http://twitpic.com/asnq9h/full
    Last edited by YukiNieve; 09-09-2012 at 06:59 PM.

vCash
    Wonderful pics!!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thanks y'all for sharing the review, pics and video! I appreciate it!
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Sounds like a great show, I wish we got more chances in the UK to see shows other than Disney or Holiday on Ice, but i know that historically audiences have not turned up in sufficient numbers.

People being surprised that John Kerr can jump are maybe forgetting he competed as a singles skater up until about 17/18 and had most of his triples, trickier on dance blades I know but a single axel shouldn't be too tricky for him.

DId I read on twitter or somewhere that Sinead had issues reentering the States?

vCash
    Going through my pics...hopefully I should at least have Nagasu, Meissner and Wagner to share by today, or late tomorrow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    I don't have much to add to Wyliefan's report except to expound on Ashley's gorgeous new SP to 'Red Violin.' She went all-out and tried all elements in the program except for doing a combo...in other words, her jumping passes were, in this order:

solo triple (loop, I think)...likely will be the spot for her combo in the future
    2 axel
    3ple flip ... slight 2-foot.
    I'm pretty sure the flip was at the beginning and the loop was toward the end (in the new second-half bonus), but those were the jumps.
    Who knows whether she might end up rearranging for competition during the season.

Nice to see a strong, mysterious program from a woman.

Other notes: John Kerr did a great job on his own, garnering huge applause for his solo hydroblading.
    This was my favorite because of the complexity of the skating in between what elements there were. Leave it to an ice dancer.

vCash
    Thanks to all for the reports!

vCash
    Thanks to everyone for their reviews and photos. Sounds like it was a wonderful show with a great cast.

Nice to hear that Brian is still performing in shows.

vCash
    Thanks for all the reviews...I can't believe I didn't go to this event- I live 15 min away

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I was supposed to be out of town, but I couldn't go, so I could have gone to the show had I gotten tickets. Boo!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast