Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

Thumbs up 2012 Michael Weiss Foundation "Ice Champions Live!" Show ~ Sept. 8 in Arlington, VA

This year's show will be held again at Kettler Capitals Iceplex in Arlington, Virginia - date/time is Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 4 pm, with a Silent Auction at 3 pm.

http://www.michaelweiss.org/index.html
    Cast of World & Olympic Champions is growing ... currently confirmed are:
    Ashley Wagner,
    Richard Dornbush,
    Dan Hollander,
    Sinead & John Kerr,
    Steven Cousins,
    Ryan Bradley…
    and many more
    to confirm soon!”
    Seating chart: http://www.michaelweiss.org/chart.htm

To purchase tickets: http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/Sal...ventId=4611885
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Cool. Glad it is earlier this year. Hope I can make it again & get some shots.
    Last edited by RD; 06-08-2012 at 01:26 AM.

vCash
    Goody! I ended up missing it last year -- this year I'm SO there!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    We just ordered our tickets! Hope to see you there (love meeting up with other board members).

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    @MichaelWeiss2 tweeted yesterday:
    "Come support Ice Champions LIVE! and my Foundation please...VIP tickets ON SALE now!"
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Like last year, I might wait until more skaters are confirmed (and my schedule becomes clearer) before committing.

vCash
    I went last year and will definitely be going again this year!

vCash
    Nagasu has just been added

I've decided to bite the bullet and order a ticket.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    As of today:
    currently
    confirmed are
    Brian Boitano
    Ashley Wagner,
    Richard Dornbush,
    Dan Hollander,
    Sinead & John Kerr,
    Steven Cousins,
    Ryan Bradley
    Mirai Nagasu
    Kimmie Meissner
    Rockne Brubaker & Mary Beth Marley
    Capitol Steps Synchro Team
    The Next Ice Age
    Elise Romola
    and many more
    to confirm soon!”

vCash
    Hmm, most were there last year as well. Nagasu and Marley/Brubaker are really the only notable additions IMO.

vCash
    And now Marley & Brubaker are gone. And when I bought tickets just this morning too, having originally thought I wouldn't be able to make it this year.

vCash
    Yeah- I was just wondering. Are they still going to do this show or is the split effective "immediately"?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Yeah- I was just wondering. Are they still going to do this show or is the split effective "immediately"?
    EDIT 8/19: M/B have been removed from the list of confirmed participants, so that's that.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

vCash
    Just two days to go. I cannot wait to see this, especially Ashley's new program (SP or LP).
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Ashley tweeted that she will be debuting her new SP (The Red Violin).

vCash
    John Kerr is going to be skating solo as Sinead isn't there. Should be fun!

vCash
    Just got back! And a great time was had by all. Will report fully later, but I have a couple of things I have to take care of first. Unfortunately, I didn't get any good pictures except a couple of the bows at the end. And I missed running into any FSUers, though I tried to find some. Sorry, guys.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    The view was pretty terrible, as it often is at this venue. Next year I think I'll just spring for on-ice seats. But I did get to be by the "bullpen" again, which I love. Half the fun at these things is watching the skaters mill around down there. Saw some cute stuff, like Ricky and Mirai striking a dance pose or two for someone's camera (I hope that one shows up online), and the skaters making a "tunnel" for Michael Weiss when he went out to do his encore.

Anyway, the on-ice action! I'm afraid I couldn't identify a lot of the music (and it didn't help that the sound system sucked). But I'll give you what I can. And I apologize in advance for not being able to identify jumps very well.

Elise Romolea -- young local skater. Very cute and perky.

Luca & Gigi Becker -- intermediate dance champions. Skated to something bossa-nova-ish.

Next Ice Age -- skated to some instrumental piece I didn't know.

Dan Hollander -- did a Popeye routine, complete with big foam "muscles." Very cute.

Michael & Rachel Parsons -- local ice dancers. Didn't get their music either, but it was a nice routine.

Richard Dornbush -- did his "nerd" exhibition, complete with enormous cowlick. Lots of fun, but looked like he was overrotating some of the jumps. I devoutly hope that's not a new habit he's picked up! No falls or pops, though, just a stumble here and there. And for the finale, when every skater got a chance to do a move or two, he whipped off his nerd glasses and did a beautiful Tano lutz.

Mirai Nagasu -- "Even Crazy Dreams Come True," Carrie Underwood. Dark dress with sparkles. Nailed one jump and popped two. But she moved absolutely beautifully, and her skating looks a lot more mature to me.

Steven Cousins -- white T-shirt and . . . jeans, I think? I didn't recognize the song, but it was a simple, serious number, which I don't think I've seen before from him. Looked good.

Kimmie Meissner -- "Skinny Love," Bon Iver. Sparkly lavender dress. Very pretty number. They couldn't get her music started at the beginning, and she had to wait forever, but she was a really good sport about it and danced around a bit to entertain the audience.

Ryan Bradley -- "Footloose," in jeans and a sweatshirt that he later took off, to finish in his T-shirt. Lots of energy, a big crowd-pleaser. And he was unfazed when the song faded in and out a couple of times!

John Kerr -- as Lanie said, he was on his own. They announced that Sinead had gotten stuck in Great Britain, but that John, "like the class act he is," was going ahead. White shirt, black pants. He skated to "Ain't That a Kick in the Head," singer unknown (maybe Michael Buble?), and did great. Once or twice he looked like he was doing some sort of solitary dance hold, but most of the time he did a very convincing impression of a singles skater. Even threw in a single jump. His number got a huge reaction. And BTW, he's even better-looking in person.

Brian Boitano -- "Nessun Dorma." Burgundy shirt and black pants. Beautiful number, very well done, with a fantastic delayed . . . something (double axel, I guess). ETA: No, I'm wrong, not delayed -- the opposite of delayed. Where you finish rotating and hang in the air for a second before you come down. Sorry -- I told you I was lousy at describing jumps. Anyway, the crowd still loves him!

Ashley Wagner -- did her new SP to "The Red Violin," as Sylvia said. Black sparkly dress with a pretty skirt (not long, but with a bit of flair to it). Now I know I'm biased toward Ashley, but WOW. This number is gorgeous, and she skated it so beautifully, I got goosebumps! She put so much expression into it, especially at the beginning; toward the end she started to look a mite tired. But this has potential to be a masterpiece. Jumps were good -- just one two-foot that I saw.

Capitol Steps -- synchro group. Skated to "Feelin' Good" -- Buble again, I think.

Michael Weiss -- skated two numbers; I didn't know either song. For the first one, his daughter sang, after Michael carried her out to a platform on the ice -- very cute, and also very necessary, as she was wearing sky-high heels.

Finale was to two songs: One I can't remember, and the other was (of course) "Call Me Maybe."

Hopefully others can fill in the gaps I've left. It was a really fun show and I'm so glad I made it this year!
    Last edited by Wyliefan; 09-09-2012 at 01:12 PM.

vCash
    Thanks Wyliefan. I'm glad you had a good time.
    I can't wait to see Ashley's SP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast