View Poll Results: Which successful partnership's breakup(other than Shpilband-Zoueva)was most shocking?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michelle Kwan & coach Frank Carroll

97 55.75%
  • Yu na Kim & coach Brian Orser

40 22.99%
  • Grishchuk-Platov

13 7.47%
  • Yankowskas-Coughlin

8 4.60%
  • Sale-Pelletier & coach Gauthier

5 2.87%
  • Mishkutenok-Dmitriev

6 3.45%
  • Other

5 2.87%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I heard that Shae-Lynn and Victor split after winning the 2003 Worlds because he had no interest in being a 'pro', he wanted to continue competing and she didn't. I don't remember exactly where, but I think I read that multiple times.
    Yes I heard that as well but the thing is I think he lead Shae-Lynn to believe he was interested in being a 'pro' and then goodbye and all the hard feelings that came after. Obviously I don't know the real story but it just seemed like he got what he wanted and then left Shae and she didn't seem to see it coming at all. I guess I just wondered if there was alot more to it but perhaps we'll never know. That said I still love them both and they will always be one of my favourite teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mattiecat13 View Post
    I voted for Michelle & Frank. It was one of those moments when you remember exactly where you were when you heard the news (I was at Skate America in Colorado Springs and heard it from the receptionist at USFSA headquarters). I always suspected her father was behind the split.
    I still don't know why her father was the one with her in SLC. He was not a coach & a coach was the one thing she really needed.
    He also did not look like he really helped her that much. Maybe he thought that if Michelle won the Gold then Frank would get too much credit.
    On the subject of Bourne/Kraatz. I saw her skate solo in several shows & she was amazing. It was a really nice thing to see her skate like that.
    I think it was at Fashion On Ice that I first saw her.

vCash
    I think I remember in 1997 that Michelle's father wanted her to go to the NHK Trophy as she was being offered a lot of money to go but Frank did not want her to in the run-up to the Nationals & Olympics. So they clashed then.
    Michelle then got injured between Skate America & Skate Canada so could not go.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    Yes I heard that as well but the thing is I think he lead Shae-Lynn to believe he was interested in being a 'pro' and then goodbye and all the hard feelings that came after. Obviously I don't know the real story but it just seemed like he got what he wanted and then left Shae and she didn't seem to see it coming at all. I guess I just wondered if there was alot more to it but perhaps we'll never know. That said I still love them both and they will always be one of my favourite teams.
    Victor , initially was portrayed as the 'bad guy" in that split.

I have one word "Morosov".

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I voted for the MK/Frank split, it was shocking.

ETA: sorry for 2 posts in a row, my computer is going cuckoo.

vCash
    I was shocked @ the timing of Michelle & Frank's parting, but am glad that they have made their peace since that time, and seem to be very respectful of each other. I guess that most shocking split for me was the one with Yuna & Brian.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    I still don't know why her father was the one with her in SLC. He was not a coach & a coach was the one thing she really needed.
    He also did not look like he really helped her that much. Maybe he thought that if Michelle won the Gold then Frank would get too much credit.
    On the subject of Bourne/Kraatz. I saw her skate solo in several shows & she was amazing. It was a really nice thing to see her skate like that.
    I think it was at Fashion On Ice that I first saw her.
    Now that you mention it, How did her father get to stand at the boards? In the U.S. You have to attend many hours of training and take tests to get coaching credentials at qualifying competitions. Many former world class skaters have grumbled about having to do all of that before they can stand at the boards with their students.

Did he actually do all that training?

vCash
    I voted for Michelle splitting with Frank. I still remember it was a big shock and kind of sad. I also do not think it was a smart choice and not having a coach at the Olympics would be hard in my opinion.*

I was also sad by Grishuk & Platov's split because I love them and they didn't even get to skate pro together at all since Evgeny ended things right after Champions on Ice. Maya Usova really held Evgeny back in the pro programs they did, in my opinion.*

Bourne and Kraatz's split was sad to me as well. I still really don't know the story behind it and in previous years, Victor seemed like a nice guy to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    I was shocked @ the timing of Michelle & Frank's parting, but am glad that they have made their peace since that time, and seem to be very respectful of each other. I guess that most shocking split for me was the one with Yuna & Brian.
    I think mk and frank was more shocking just because it came before the olys, and yuna and Brian came after.

Yes, it's true that mk and frank handled the whole thing with class, while yuna and Brian both behaved classlessly. But that's how they split. The split itself wasn't as shocking IMHO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12