View Poll Results: Which successful partnership's breakup(other than Shpilband-Zoueva)was most shocking?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michelle Kwan & coach Frank Carroll

97 55.75%
  • Yu na Kim & coach Brian Orser

40 22.99%
  • Grishchuk-Platov

13 7.47%
  • Yankowskas-Coughlin

8 4.60%
  • Sale-Pelletier & coach Gauthier

5 2.87%
  • Mishkutenok-Dmitriev

6 3.45%
  • Other

5 2.87%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Which split (other than Shplilband-Zoueva) was the most shocking?

I decided not to include the most recent Shpilband-Zoueva in this poll because it is fresh and it would have trumped all others.

Successful partnerships (coach/pupil or pairs/dance partners) have ended surprisingly suddenly (to an outside viewer) in the past. Which one was the most shocking?

vCash
    Kwan with Carrol (most part because she stay along wothout any coaching)
    Rodnina-Zhuck (we talk a lot about him this days )
    Sasha Kohen-TAT (i thought she really love Sasha and gave her all she could)
    Sale-Pelletier - Richard Gauthier
    Belbin-Agosto - Z-Sh
    Yagudin-Mishin

Between coaches....
    Zhuck-Leonovitch
    Tarasova-Morozov

Teams
    Rodnina-Ulanov
    Anisina-Averbuch
    Muhortova-Trankov
    Khohlova-Novitskiy
    Coppely-Stagnionas (it was a reall drama for Jeythlyn)
    After sport
    Bourne-Kraatz
    Grishuck-Platov
    Usiva-Zhulin

vCash
    I chose Michelle Kwan splitting from Frank Carrol. I certainly didn't see that one coming and there didn't really seem to be a reason for it. Well I'm sure there was but we will never know. It was especially a shocker coming so close to the Olympics and it left Michelle without a coach for that season. Even Arutunian wasn't listed as a true coach, more like a consultant IIRC. I think that may have played apart in how Michelle skated and where she ended up at the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    I chose Michelle Kwan splitting from Frank Carrol. I certainly didn't see that one coming and there didn't really seem to be a reason for it. Well I'm sure there was but we will never know. It was especially a shocker coming so close to the Olympics and it left Michelle without a coach for that season. Even Arutunian wasn't listed as a true coach, more like a consultant IIRC. I think that may have played apart in how Michelle skated and where she ended up at the Olympics.
    IIRC Arutunian was only a jump coach; never a real coach who sat next to Michelle in the K&C. She was entirely on her own that season, which is crazy, IMO.

vCash
    Kwan and Carroll, I didn't expect it just before the Olympics !

vCash
    I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for this but the Carrol/Kwan split (Which still shocks me) made Kwan look like an ungrateful child that thought she knew better than anyone else. I'm a huge Kwan fan but this was the only time I thought she was wrong.
    An Olympics is the biggest event in the World & instead of having a wonderful & devoted coach who knew more about skating than most she had her Dad in SLC.
    It just looked wrong. Parents should be in the stands watching not trying to coach. I used to play tennis at junior level & saw many young girls being shouted at by their parents & looking so sad.
    While I'm not saying that Kwan's father was like this, I just feel that Kwan cost herself an Olympic Gold Medal by trying to be independant.
    Was I the only one who felt sorry for Carrol ?

vCash
    Kwan and Carrol split sounded like she thought she was too good for a coach. Im sure thats not the case, but it was weird that she decided to do it before olumpics

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for this but the Carrol/Kwan split (Which still shocks me) made Kwan look like an ungrateful child that thought she knew better than anyone else. I'm a huge Kwan fan but this was the only time I thought she was wrong.
    An Olympics is the biggest event in the World & instead of having a wonderful & devoted coach who knew more about skating than most she had her Dad in SLC.
    It just looked wrong. Parents should be in the stands watching not trying to coach. I used to play tennis at junior level & saw many young girls being shouted at by their parents & looking so sad.
    While I'm not saying that Kwan's father was like this, I just feel that Kwan cost herself an Olympic Gold Medal by trying to be independant.Was I the only one who felt sorry for Carrol ?
    Although I am not a big fan of Frank C., I sided with him in that split. I thought Michelle was so wrong in making that decision, particularly in the Olympic season! I am a big Michelle Kwan fan, but it just looked so wrong to fire the coach who had nurtured and trained her for so many years, and finally he had a chance to get his first OGM student, but she dumped him.

IMO she should have stuck with what had worked for her all these years- Lori and Frank packaged her well. She needed to trust that team instead of trying something completely different at the most inopportune time.

vCash
    I'm surprised Krall/Chan isn't on the list. They weren't together long, but had a lot of success together.

I thought Bourne/Kraatz was the most surprising. It is unusual for a skater to just quit after winning a World Championship and not spending at least a year or two touring as a pro. The fact that they also stopped speaking to eiach other until she divorced Morozov was odd too.

vCash
    I will forever be baffled and shocked by the Kwan/Carroll split. I do agree it was a weird time to decide to go sans a coach. I was shocked but both parties handled the split with class.

The same can't be said for the Kim/Orser split which is why I voted for them.

The amount of animosity that accompanied that split is what was so shocking to me considering what all they'd accomplished just a few months prior. It just spiraled out of control: name calling, accusations, rumors, attacks...it was so tacky, like watching an episode of Jerry Springer or Maury. The whole situation was handled terribly. IMO both parties were to blame and I lost a little respect for each by the end of it.

It was sad to see their relationship go up in flames like that and it really put an ugly taint on that skater/coach legacy.

vCash
    I thought Yu-Na and Brian's split was the most shocking since he propelled her to an OGM, but I do understand there were probably good reasons behind it. I wasn't following skating as much when Michelle split from Frank, but if I was I might have found that equally as shocking.

The Yankowskas/Coughlin split wasn't that much of a shock, since he originally said he was retiring, but him suddenly pairing with Caydee Denney was. If THAT was an option on the list, it might've got my vote.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post

I thought Bourne/Kraatz was the most surprising. It is unusual for a skater to just quit after winning a World Championship and not spending at least a year or two touring as a pro. The fact that they also stopped speaking to eiach other until she divorced Morozov was odd too.
    While I voted for Michelle and Frank. The whole B&K situation always baffled me and kinda upset me because I always loved them. I could just never figure it out. To me Victor just wasn`t the same person after they came back from her injury. While I still enjoyed them Victor just looked like he was angry and had lost all the joy he use to have. It was like he was doing what he had to do to win even though he didn`t enjoy it and all the crap they went through seemed to make him bitter. He was just different to me and maybe that`s my opinon but it was what I felt when I watched him after they came back. The to just bail out on Shae and say I quit and not talk to each other was sad. I still believe (just my opinion again)he didn`t like Morozov but gritted his teeth and hung with him to win and because Shae wanted to and he probably couldn`t believe she fell in love with him to top it all off and maybe didn`t want to stick around for the train wreck ahead. I just think it was all too bad but I hope they are on better terms now. Sorry for the ramble but I just always wanted to put my 2 cents in about that and wondered in anyone had any insight into it.

vCash
    I voted for Michelle/Frank ... the timing, and, nothing to indicate any trouble. She didn't strike me as thinking herself "too good" for a coach or anything like that. I just thought it a bad decision made by someone who was of an age (21) not always known for wise, balanced judgment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I decided not to include the most recent Shpilband-Zoueva in this poll because it is fresh and it would have trumped all others.
    Honestly, I think I would have voted for Michelle-Frank regardless. As soon as I heard she fired Frank, I said, "Well, there goes the Olympic Gold Medal!" And sadly I was right.

vCash
    Michelle Kwan is winning this poll too!

vCash
    No surprise Kwan-Carroll is leading they had been together so many years, and was so highly publicized as the ideal coach-student.

As Yuna would say, this poll has already been DECIDED.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    While I voted for Michelle and Frank. The whole B&K situation always baffled me and kinda upset me because I always loved them. I could just never figure it out. To me Victor just wasn`t the same person after they came back from her injury. While I still enjoyed them Victor just looked like he was angry and had lost all the joy he use to have. It was like he was doing what he had to do to win even though he didn`t enjoy it and all the crap they went through seemed to make him bitter. He was just different to me and maybe that`s my opinon but it was what I felt when I watched him after they came back. The to just bail out on Shae and say I quit and not talk to each other was sad. I still believe (just my opinion again)he didn`t like Morozov but gritted his teeth and hung with him to win and because Shae wanted to and he probably couldn`t believe she fell in love with him to top it all off and maybe didn`t want to stick around for the train wreck ahead. I just think it was all too bad but I hope they are on better terms now. Sorry for the ramble but I just always wanted to put my 2 cents in about that and wondered in anyone had any insight into it.
    I heard that Shae-Lynn and Victor split after winning the 2003 Worlds because he had no interest in being a 'pro', he wanted to continue competing and she didn't. I don't remember exactly where, but I think I read that multiple times.

vCash
    I voted for Michelle & Frank. It was one of those moments when you remember exactly where you were when you heard the news (I was at Skate America in Colorado Springs and heard it from the receptionist at USFSA headquarters). I always suspected her father was behind the split.

vCash
    Evora/Ladwig! When I first saw the press release, it took me a good few minutes to catch on. No, not a retirement--a split?! Still mind-boggling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Michelle Kwan is winning this poll too!
    Kwan wins all polls all the time! She can even beat purple! No one can beat the Kween!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast