Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Nik Wallenda's tightrope walk over Niagara Falls

Is anybody here planning on watching this? Apparently it will be a primetime event. June 15th.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...news?p=1&tc=pg

I guess it's a pretty big deal? I should've tried to get tickets! But I dont know if I dare to watch. It makes me nervous imagining that man so vulnerable above the falls!
    Team Peeps!

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badams View Post
    Is anybody here planning on watching this? Apparently it will be a primetime event. June 15th.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...news?p=1&tc=pg

I guess it's a pretty big deal? I should've tried to get tickets! But I dont know if I dare to watch. It makes me nervous imagining that man so vulnerable above the falls!
    there has been all sorts of rumours about financial concerns.. also annoyed people because the sponsors or authorities are requiring him to wear a harness and the tradition of the infamous Wallenda tradition is to always do it without but apparently he has no choice..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Yeah, he's not happy about the harness. But since they aren't having much luck actually getting the wire across the falls, I'd hate to think about the struggle to rescue him if something went wrong!
    Team Peeps!

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Yeah, he's not happy about the harness. But since they aren't having much luck actually getting the wire across the falls, I'd hate to think about the struggle to rescue him if something went wrong!
    but would make for interesting viewing actually i would make it part of the deal that there is no rescue - as seriously not fair to put lives at risk.. hence I think he should be allowed to go with no harness.. not that I think I could watch though
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Let him go without a harness--if he dies he is doing exactly what he wants to be doing when his life ends. He knows the risks more than anyone. If he does proceed he should make it clear that he does not want rescuers to put themselves in harms way to save him if he falls since he made the decision not to use the harness. Now will the rescue crews obey?

vCash
    The Falls area search and rescue teams are excellent, by sad circumstance.

vCash
    I still remember Karl Wallenda falling to his death back in 1978. Not at all interested in seeing this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    I still remember Karl Wallenda falling to his death back in 1978. Not at all interested in seeing this.
    I'm old enough to remember the horrible fall (while he was part of the 7-person pyramid) more than a decade earlier which killed 2 members of his family and paralyzed another.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Did anyone see the documentary about the guy who tightroped across the World Trade Center Towers? It won an Oscar in the documentary category a few years ago.

At one point, he even started dancing on the rope!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    Did anyone see the documentary about the guy who tightroped across the World Trade Center Towers? It won an Oscar in the documentary category a few years ago.

At one point, he even started dancing on the rope!
    Yes, that was Man on Wire about Philippe Petit and it was a very, very absorbing documentary. His actual walk across the WTC towers was astounding, but all his preparations and the logistics of actually setting it up were fascinating as well.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Man on Wire was great. And that guy is bonafide crazy. I can't imagine doing that. He was up there for what, 40 minutes or so? Yikes.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I'm old enough to remember the horrible fall (while he was part of the 7-person pyramid) more than a decade earlier which killed 2 members of his family and paralyzed another.
    As am I.
    I understand the tradition of which he is a part; still, I prefer not to watch, if he attempts this.

vCash
    About an hour and 15 min and he's going across, anybody watching?
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    I just don't know if I can watch!

vCash
    I'm watching. But I will change it if anything goes wrong. I honestly hope he's successful and accomplishes his dream.
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    Is that cable attached to him enough to keep him alive in case something goes wrong?

vCash
    Yes. The sponsers made him wear it. Holy hell...he's into the mist. Goodluck to him!
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    My husband has it on right now. I want to smack the commentators. They are just filling dead time and trying to make it more suspenseful. STFU

vCash
    It's amazing, seeing him up there so tiny compared to those falls.
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    Yay! He did it!
    Team Peeps!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast