Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    How many Skating Uniforms/Dresses do you own per Discipline?

    Ok my fellow Skaters who compete....Today I want to know...how many Skating Uniforms/Dresses do you own per (for each) Discipline? Please include your Disciplines? As well as color of Dresses. For example...2 blue Synchro.,4 yellow Pairs,etc.

  2. #2
    Watch me move
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    16,756
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't classify my dresses as being for a particular discipline. Almost every dress I have, I've worn for both singles (freeskate and artistic) and for ice dance. The only dresses I think I *haven't* worn for more than one discipline are a few that were made for artistic programs and wouldn't really work well for other kinds of skating.

    I don't do synchro but I have a few dresses that I bought second hand from synchro team members. However, I am scared to wear them in competition, because I'm afraid that someone who bought a dress at the same sale will be in my category
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,763
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    15381
    Hmmm...

    Well, I only have one dress that I bought. The rest I made myself. I have three dresses for performances, one practice dress that I never wear (it was the first dress I made, sort of an experiment).

    The store-bought one was for my "Gladiator" program. It's pretty, but spending $140 on a dress was a bit much for me. So I made the dress for my new technical program and also for my artistic program. It's a simple pattern, but it's amazing what you can do with a simple pattern if you mix up the fabric. I also put stones on them myself.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I don't classify my dresses as being for a particular discipline. Almost every dress I have, I've worn for both singles (freeskate and artistic) and for ice dance. The only dresses I think I *haven't* worn for more than one discipline are a few that were made for artistic programs and wouldn't really work well for other kinds of skating.

    I don't do synchro but I have a few dresses that I bought second hand from synchro team members. However, I am scared to wear them in competition, because I'm afraid that someone who bought a dress at the same sale will be in my category
    COOL!!!! Do you know which Team owned them?

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    83
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I have been skating since I was 5...I have too many dresses to count. . I do hae favourites like my synchro dress from last year and a few ally ancient dresses that wo old not be in style at all nowadays but back in the day many people thought were spectacular and considering my mom made them all was high praise. My very most favourite was my "miss America" waltz dress made out of a cream velvet.

    If I had to guess for dresses I would wear nowadays, I have at least 4 synchro dresses, a tango dress, a dress that has done multiple duty as a quickstep waltz and tango dress (various accessory changes), a blue dance dress, purple bluesy dress and a few practice dresses. There are probably about 20 dresses in my old closet at my parents' house that wouldn't fit or are just outdated.

  6. #6
    Watch me move
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    16,756
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    COOL!!!! Do you know which Team owned them?
    I do. It was one of the teams that skate in my region, and they had a sale of old dresses and other things to raise money for travel to competitions.
    Unfortunately, the upper bodice of the dress (shoulders/upper chest) is made out of a flesh-coloured material that snags really easily, so there are some flaws in it that are pretty noticeable. So I only wear the dress to practice in.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    10,417
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I have one synchro dress (though it is actually dance length, they ordered it too long for me, but it was too expensive to want to cut...) It is red and black.

    I have a few freestyle costumes. I have two that I currently wear- a pretty blue dress and a pretty red one. I have an old green one that I like. I think I've gotten rid of most of the others.

    I have a practice dress. It is pink. I got rid of my other ones because I never wear dresses.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    peregrinating
    Posts
    4,942
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15150
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I have a practice dress. It is pink. I got rid of my other ones because I never wear dresses.
    Me neither! I kept one practice dress and the 3 dresses I competed in/took FS tests. Anything else has gone up on ebay or to younger skaters at the rink.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I have one synchro dress (though it is actually dance length, they ordered it too long for me, but it was too expensive to want to cut...) It is red and black.

    I have a few freestyle costumes. I have two that I currently wear- a pretty blue dress and a pretty red one. I have an old green one that I like. I think I've gotten rid of most of the others.

    I have a practice dress. It is pink. I got rid of my other ones because I never wear dresses.
    Dance Length? I didn't that a Dress had to be a curtin Length for Dance.

  10. #10
    Watch me move
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    16,756
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    Dance Length? I didn't that a Dress had to be a curtin Length for Dance.
    It doesn't. But a dance dress often has a longer skirt than a freeskate dress, because it makes the dress look more like a ballroom gown, and because it looks really pretty and graceful when it moves. And hopefully makes you look pretty and graceful too
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    10,417
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Overedge is right, there is no certain length for dance, but you rarely see dancers in skirts as short as freestyle skaters. Synchro skaters usually wear skirts that are just between the lengths, not as long as a dance dress, not as short as a freestyle skirt.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,142
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3151
    I still have all my dresses from the olden days. Probably have 10 or so all up. I re-used competition dresses a lot, so i dont have that many.

    I dream of the day i can zip them up again!

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    460
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Two test dresses, 2 comp dresses and one comp dress backup (last year's comp dress - it's very snug but in an emergency it would work). One practice dress. For nostalgia I have kept her first comp dress. It is super tiny!

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    City of Blinding Light
    Posts
    15,742
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4218
    I own one skating dress, which I wear for everything.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Age
    44
    Posts
    301
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17
    I dont' have any dress (nor do I compete, lol), but I'm totally mad of leggings with a lot of crystals, etc... I probably have ~10 of them

    FYI, here's one of my last purchase : https://fbcdn_sphotos_a-a.akamaihd.n...30437948_n.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •