Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,437
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    28303

    WWII Widow's 60 Year Mystery Solved

    I saw this yesterday on CBS and was so moved by it. Thought I'd share. Very heartening and at the same time maddening.

    Widow's Story

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,218
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    That poor lady.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,437
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    28303
    CBS Evening news is having a follow-up story about the widow travelling to France.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    15,996
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    18680
    Thanks for posting. What a handsome young couple they made. Glad she finally got her answers and ave a place to visit.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

  5. #5
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,346
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    2366
    I bet someone in that Rep's office is getting fired (they usually farm that sort of request out to staff or interns....)

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,873
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3930
    The representative's staffer was either lazy or incompetent, but surely the larger blame rests on the US military, who certainly ought to have helped this lady get some resolution sixty years ago, or any number of times since then.

  7. #7
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,346
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    2366
    It's World War II. They were dealing with hundreds of thousands of dead bodies in multiple theaters, including hostile territory--if anything it's surprising this is apparently THAT odd an occurrence from that particular war. There are probably still unidentified remains at the lab in Hawaii (there DEFINITELY are from Vietnam.) Meanwhile (while, yes, the family should have just asked for the whole file already--*I* can get military files, with the only thing redacted the medical and autopsy reports) all the staff at the Rep's office had to do was ACTUALLY make a phone call, instead of blowing it off.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Driving the Han Yan Fan Van
    Posts
    8,837
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh my gosh. That poor woman. That's some serious devotion of hers.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,873
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3930
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    It's World War II. They were dealing with hundreds of thousands of dead bodies in multiple theaters, including hostile territory--if anything it's surprising this is apparently THAT odd an occurrence from that particular war.
    That's why I said 60 years. Enumerating the graves and grave stones in 1952 -- or anytime in the next twenty years after that -- should not have been too much to ask of the military given that the war ended in '45.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,437
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    28303
    This was their follow up story. You might need your tissues.

    French Town Still Honors American Pilot

  11. #11
    engaged to dupa
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven for climate, Hell for company.
    Posts
    18,917
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1083
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    The representative's staffer was either lazy or incompetent, but surely the larger blame rests on the US military, who certainly ought to have helped this lady get some resolution sixty years ago, or any number of times since then.
    How did they not help? It sounds like she got conflicting information at the time. Sad and unfortunate but understandable in real time. Without knowing if she asked for help later (the article is unclear about that unless I'm overlooking something) I don't know if it's fair to say the military didn't help her. His death was recorded - it's in the National Archives and they get that kind of info from the military. How do you think it should have played out (particularly at a time when this was all without the benefit of computers)?
    3539 and counting.

    Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

  12. #12
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,346
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    2366
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    That's why I said 60 years. Enumerating the graves and grave stones in 1952 -- or anytime in the next twenty years after that -- should not have been too much to ask of the military given that the war ended in '45.
    Yes, because the military had absolutely nothing else to do between 1945 and 2012 besides go around triple-checking thousands of graves scattered all over the world. And at a certain point it wasn't the DoD any more anyway-the records passed to the NARA decades ago, as any military personnel files do at a certain point. Which, apparently, had the accurate location in the files all along, if ANYONE had bothered to request them.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    12,908
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16823
    An amazing story; with an even more meaningful continuation.

    Kudos to Mrs Harris and the people of Normandy who continue to honor and remember these heroes.
    Thank you, Steve Hartman.

    RIP, 1st Lt. Billie Harris.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,401
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    This was their follow up story. You might need your tissues.

    French Town Still Honors American Pilot
    I think you may need the entire box.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,873
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3930
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Yes, because the military had absolutely nothing else to do between 1945 and 2012 besides go around triple-checking thousands of graves scattered all over the world. And at a certain point it wasn't the DoD any more anyway-the records passed to the NARA decades ago, as any military personnel files do at a certain point. Which, apparently, had the accurate location in the files all along, if ANYONE had bothered to request them.
    I happen to think that the military has an obligation to the families of MIA or deceased soldiers to give them accurate, and reasonably timely data. Someone in the military hierarchy should have gotten back to the soldier's widow with correct information long ago -- the initial story makes it sound like she made multiple requests. I wouldn't have expected someone from this lady's era to have the skills to do database searches. NARA has a lot of information, catalogued rather strangely and inconsistently. I use it for genealogy, and it is very, very challenging for me.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,201
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    This family made the ultimate sacrifice for the United States. There are obligations to this family and sneering at this family and their sacrifice does not make things better or give a very good impression of those who sneer.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,437
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    28303
    An update on CBS tonight:

    Apology from Congressman

    I would like to share some comments on a recent news story regarding Mrs. Peggy Harris.


    My office maintains a strict rule that all constituent communications and correspondence are kept completely confidential. We do not share the actual content of our files or comment on it under any circumstances out of respect for people's privacy and to protect personal information. There are no exceptions. We shared this policy with CBS verbally and sent them a written statement confirming the policy before the broadcast of last night's story. They chose not to include it.


    I can only say that in 2005 my office contacted various organizations on Mrs. Harris' behalf, following standard casework procedures. Conflicting information was sent back to Mrs. Harris and we did not do enough to come to a clear, final answer. I have sent her a personal apology for the mishandling of this sensitive matter and for any distress she has suffered as a result.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    350
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't understand how he could have been moved from a French cemetery to an American cemetery and no one from the US military thought to notify his widow. God bless the people of Les Ventes though for honoring him in his widow's absence.

  19. #19
    engaged to dupa
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven for climate, Hell for company.
    Posts
    18,917
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1083
    Quote Originally Posted by mrr50 View Post
    This family made the ultimate sacrifice for the United States. There are obligations to this family and sneering at this family and their sacrifice does not make things better or give a very good impression of those who sneer.
    Who is sneering at the family?
    3539 and counting.

    Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •