Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I really don't think the average American knows who Joannie is (by name).

I asked 4 people in my office to name male figure skaters and got Browning, Boitano, and Hamilton (twice). When I asked for a current one 3 said Weir., the other no idea.All thought Kwan was a gold medalist. One thought she was still skating.
    None could name the Canadian ladies skater whose mother died rigbt before the Olympics. Three remembered the story.

Just like in a few months I'll know the names of tons of swimmers, but by December it will probably just be Phelps if I'm called upon to name one.
    Yes, non-skating fans don't know a lot of current skaters. I guess that's because skating was more popular in the 90s. When talking to non-skating fans, normally the only people they know are. Scott Hamilton, Brain Boitano, Johnny Weir, Michelle Kwan, Tara Lipinski, Oksana Baiul, Kristi Yamaguchi, Ekaterina Gordeeva. Some of them do know Lysacek, but some of them only know him because of Dancing with the Stars. None of the people I talked to knew who Joannie was.

vCash
    Nobody I know outside of the skating world knows who Johnny is. Some know Evan, because of Dancing with the Stars, Nobody knows who Yu Na is, nobody knows Mao, Many know who "the Canadian girl who lost her mother at the Olympics" is...it all depends on who you talk to and, means absolutely nothing.
    Team Peeps!

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314