View Poll Results: Who is the weakest link?

Voters
233. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alexei Urmanov

57 24.46%
  • Todd Eldredge

54 23.18%
  • Elvis Stojko

22 9.44%
  • Ilia Kulik

3 1.29%
  • Alexei Yagudin

4 1.72%
  • Evgeni Plushenko

2 0.86%
  • Stéphane Lambiel

2 0.86%
  • Brian Joubert

12 5.15%
  • Jeffrey Buttle

27 11.59%
  • Evan Lysacek

41 17.60%
  • Daisuke Takahashi

5 2.15%
  • Patrick Chan

4 1.72%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by satchelpooch318 View Post
    Aww, don't feel upset, it's just a game! Hooray for Games! Also, I don't think anyone would want to run this risk of sounding just like a Kwazed Kwaniac by listing by rote all of her/his favorite's athletic accomplishments to make a logical point. Y'know, the whole "9 Nationals and 5 Worlds and 2 Olympic Medals and 50 gazillion 6.0s and LEGEND" bit, except catering it for other über-accomplished skaters...

But I digress.

Back on point, I don't think there was a requirement to use any kind of logical thinking process to pick who gets offed. Although if one wanted to be reasoned and logical, that is totally, absolutely her/his prerogative. Yup, yup, yup!
    Why are you so opposed to logic? That poster took the time to post all the accomplishments of that skater. Would you rather have illogical hatred in making the decision about the weakest link?

vCash
    Had to go with Urmanov... Next would be buttle then lysacek....... They just seem the weakest to me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Why are you so opposed to logic? That poster took the time to post all the accomplishments of that skater. Would you rather have illogical hatred in making the decision about the weakest link?
    Oh, I'm not opposed to logic...not at all! Especially in real life. For example, I enjoy Science and Math(s), so a logical thought process is absolutely necessary to understand/appreciate the various concepts/theories/etc. in those fields. But sometimes being silly and illogical can be FUN! Loads of fun! Like in some random pseudo-Survivor elimination game on some random figure skating message board where in the grand scheme of the Universe, being weird and logically out-of-whack doesn't really have any long-lasting negative repercussions to humankind. (Well, not yet at least -- this is FSU, after all. )

Hmm...matter and anti-matter collisions can have some pretty nasty effects on the Universe. Perhaps Plushy and anti-Plushy collisions could also have the same result! Research!

vCash
    I voted Urmanov since he is so forgettable.. Todd at least had great spins..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodance2001 View Post
    I voted Urmanov since he is so forgettable.. Todd at least had great spins..
    Urmanov had great jumps, and great flair. He had some very good performances.

I liked Todd also. He was a very complete skater who was hurt by the lack of a quad in a quad dominated era. He really developed as an artist after he turned pro.

vCash
    Voted for Stojko. He's just a good jumper. I can't sit through his whole program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, he was lucky to be a rather dominant figure during an era where there were no male skating stars (i.e. mid 90s). Petrenko and Browning were on their way out (or made mistakes in 1994), and Yagudin / Plushenko hadn't emerged yet.

Eldredge, Kulik and Urmanov were his closest competition but they were not consistent. But once they semi-delivered they almost always beat him.

He was the male Ando - dominating only because the better skaters were inconsistent.
    Eldredge was consistent. He just wasnt good enough to beat Stojko. Stojko could miss his quad or not even try it and still beat a clean Eldredge. Kulik and Urmanov were the only two who could beat Stojko other than a fluke mistake from Stojko.

vCash
    Lysacek. Weakest 3A ever, no sense of rhythm, style, musicality. Most overrated skater ever (and that includes Chan). He checked a bunch of CoP boxes while having seizures on the ice that some of the judges mistook for presentation.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Lysacek. Weakest 3A ever, no sense of rhythm, style, musicality. Most overrated skater ever (and that includes Chan). He checked a bunch of CoP boxes while having seizures on the ice that some of the judges mistook for presentation.
    LOL, I love you!

vCash
    Oh wow, some equally nutty person just voted for Yags...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    How was Stojko's era the weakest exactly?
    You took the question right out of my mouth.

What supposedly makes Stojko's era weak? What supposedly makes the era of other skaters strong?

vCash
    no way is his the weakest EVER

Comansnala?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by satchelpooch318 View Post
    Oh wow, some equally nutty person just voted for Yags...
    ... must have been crs ...

vCash
    I wanna have YOUR Baby!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post

What supposedly makes Stojko's era weak? What supposedly makes the era of other skaters strong?
    Yeah.. I'd actually argue that the late 2000s (after the retirement of Yagudin and the first retirement of Plushenko) could be considered just as weak as Stojko's era. Lambiel, Buttle, Chan, and Takahashi were all very inconsistent technically and while Joubert was quite consistent his programs weren't COP-friendly (as Weir's weren't either). As everyone knows, the technical content in programs by men went DOWN in general in the late part of that decade. Even when Plushenko was still around, after Yags was gone he lacked some of his old spark and he definitely had hardly ANY of that spark in 2010.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post

Good question, actually.

I have to admit an era with Candeloro as a multiple medalist is an era I'll frown upon.

But the top skaters of the era?

94-98 OG: Stoijko dominates. Kulik gets a medal at Worlds but is unmemorable until the Olympic season, where he is undeniably the best. Four solo world medalists (Kulik, Yagudin, Galindo, Zagorodniuk) suggests that the pack behind the top was either phenomenally strong or unusually weak, depending on your preference (see current day ice dance for a corollary). Earlier this thread, Marco said: "Even 3 years after his Olympic win, he was still seen by the judges as the best when all the top skaters skated clean (1997 Worlds short program). He had interesting choreography and textbook jumps.". When the skater the judges deem the best cannot win a worlds medal in that time frame, you've gotta wonder about the strength of the era.

98-2002 OG: Huge improvement. Firstly, only ONE solo medalist - the dominant guys (Yagudin and Plushenko first, Weiss and Eldredge next) are quite dominant - very few fluke medalilsts here (Stoijko, it could be argued, fluked into his medal in 2000. The rivalry between Yagudin and Plushenko outclasses the previous field, imo.

2003-06 OG: Retirement of Yags means that Plushenko stands alone at the top of the hill. Like Stoijko, he has three world titles (though only two in this era). Unlike Stoijko, there's no denying that if everyone skates clean, he wins. But we also had the rise of Joubert and Lambiel as genuine competitors. But FIVE solo medalists (four of them going onto win world titles, though - Lambiel, Joubert, Buttle and Lysacek) suggests a melange era. Admittedly, a Plushenko-less worlds was a genuine disappointment, though.

2006-2010 OG: I'll agree that this era rivals 94-98 re: paucity of strength. But I happen to like the skaters more. That Joubert (inconsistent, injury plagued, with dumbed down programs) is able to dominate a season (undefeated in the 06/07 season); that Buttle (a terrific interpreter, but also inconsistent, also hindered by injury, with lesser jump arsenal) can destroy the field at worlds (recall - he's the only skater from this Worlds era that won both programs - Lambiel, Joubert, Lysacek - each lost either the short or the long). That Lysacek can win worlds and Olympics... well, I'll leave that up to others to discuss. That Takahashi can set a world record in one competition and then miss the podium in the next; that Lambiel - top flight skater - can basically lose the triple axel. Again, lots of solo medalists

On the other hand, there are more skaters, more programs, from this era of figure skating that I'll treasure and revisit.
    Last edited by Proustable; 06-11-2012 at 12:06 AM.

vCash
    No way Urmanov is going before Evan! Seriously?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallFairy View Post
    No way Urmanov is going before Evan! Seriously?
    The scary thing is that Lysacek might go before Stojko, who's basically an even less artistic, less talented version of Timothy Goebel, with worse posture, horrific sit-spin positions, and so little musicality it appears to be outright disdain for the concept of skating to music!

With that in mind, I have decided that I will post additional links to Stojko programs until he is voted out.

Here is just a taste to get things started:

1994 Olympics SP
    1994 Olympics FS

C'mon folks, this is serious!

vCash
    Try this one.

This is my favorite Elvis performance because of the delayed start of the required standing ovation from the audience.

Audience: "Well that was god awful.... oh wait, it's Elvis! Standing ovation!"

Last edited by casken; 06-11-2012 at 10:21 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    The scary thing is that Lysacek might go before Stojko, who's basically an even less artistic, less talented version of Timothy Goebel, with worse posture, horrific sit-spin positions, and so little musicality it appears to be outright disdain for the concept of skating to music!

With that in mind, I have decided that I will post additional links to Stojko programs until he is voted out.

Here is just a taste to get things started:

1994 Olympics SP
    1994 Olympics FS

C'mon folks, this is serious!

Stojko was the best jumper of his era and one of the best of all time. Stojko pushed the sport forward technically. Stojko didnt need major mistakes from his competitors to win titles. Stojko dominated his era. Artistically Stojko stood his own ground and had his own style, refusing to compromise to his many critics. Evan was none of those things. It would be a travesty if Evan, the weakest Olympic Champion in skating history, doesnt go before Stojko.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast