View Poll Results: Who is the weakest link?

Voters
233. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alexei Urmanov

57 24.46%
  • Todd Eldredge

54 23.18%
  • Elvis Stojko

22 9.44%
  • Ilia Kulik

3 1.29%
  • Alexei Yagudin

4 1.72%
  • Evgeni Plushenko

2 0.86%
  • Stéphane Lambiel

2 0.86%
  • Brian Joubert

12 5.15%
  • Jeffrey Buttle

27 11.59%
  • Evan Lysacek

41 17.60%
  • Daisuke Takahashi

5 2.15%
  • Patrick Chan

4 1.72%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    A matter of opinion, but one can't deny his mark on the sport. He was without question the most consistent male skater of the 90's (6 World medals, 2 olympics medals, 4 Grand Prix medals, along with countless medals of other competitions), and he alone made the quad a staple of mens skating.
    Yes, he was lucky to be a rather dominant figure during an era where there were no male skating stars (i.e. mid 90s). Petrenko and Browning were on their way out (or made mistakes in 1994), and Yagudin / Plushenko hadn't emerged yet.

Eldredge, Kulik and Urmanov were his closest competition but they were not consistent. But once they semi-delivered they almost always beat him.

He was the male Ando - dominating only because the better skaters were inconsistent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    He was the male Ando - dominating only because the better skaters were inconsistent.
    But Stojko did add something to the sport. He usually brought the quad to competition. It's a pitty that he didn't at his two Olympics.

vCash
    Hmm, no obvious candidates to be voted off first. I went with Urmanov, largely based on competitive record, but now I'm sort of regretting it after reading the comments here. Given the choice again, I might have gone with Todd (sorry, Todd!).

vCash
    I voted for Eldredge, wish I voted for Urmanov. For all his strong qualities, his Olympic performance was so underwhelming. Chintzy choreography, mediocre spins, no 3-3 in the LP. I think it was deserving (Stoijko made a mistake and the gap, presentation wise, is huge) victory, but a pallid one nonetheless.

As for luck....

a) Stoijko was lucky to skate in perhaps the weakest men's era of post-figures age.

b) Urmanov was lucky that the reining world champion bombed the short program

c) Buttle was lucky that Takahashi/Joubert/Lambiel/etc didn't skate to their capabilities (though I'll point out that score-wise, only one man skated better than he did at Worlds that season - Takahashi at 4CC).

d) Lysacek was lucky that Chan was injured at the beginning of the Olympic season. Uninjured, improving in 09/10 like he did in 10/11, we'd be talking about significant challenger for the title.

Your competitors may have a bad day, and that contributes to your win. Definitely. But it's not as if Buttle had anything less than his greatest skates (unlike say Kostner or Ando recently).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    But Stojko did add something to the sport. He usually brought the quad to competition.
    Well given his skating qualities he NEEDED the quad. He was a better athlete / competitor because of his consistency on it, but he wasn't really a better skater. And to be honest, his jumping quality wasn't even that high.

I couldn't really sit through a whole program by Stojko or Eldredge. Too much contrast between them and Urmanov / Kulik skating wise. I would even prefer Eric Millot from the same era.

vCash
    I was initially going to vote for Urmy...but I instead voted for the one man in this game who just annoys the Hell outta me over all the others. I'll probably end up voting for this dude repeatedly until he is finally gone...but that may take a while, LOL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by satchelpooch318 View Post
    I was initially going to vote for Urmy...but I instead voted for the one man in this game who just annoys the Hell outta me over all the others. I'll probably end up voting for this dude repeatedly until he is finally gone...but that may take a while, LOL.
    So, are you the person who just voted for Plushenko?

vCash
    Now all we need is someone voting for Yagudin- LOL-, but that's not going to happen on this board. Not that he deserves the vote, but neither does Plushenko (and a few others, at this point). Anyway, it's a fun poll.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

That's probably going to be a very lonely vote for Plushy for the first few rounds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

Who me? Why, what would make anyone think that?

vCash
    Wow! Yagudin doesn't have a single vote (yet).
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    Wow! Yagudin doesn't have a single vote (yet).
    (SHHHHH! Don't jinx him! )

Comansnala?
    vCash
    Poor Eldredge has to goooo first!

IMHO ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post

As for luck....

a) Stoijko was lucky to skate in perhaps the weakest men's era of post-figures age.
    How was Stojko's era the weakest exactly?

vCash
    9 times Russian National Champion
    7 times European Champion
    3 times World Champion
    4 times Grand Prix Final Champion
    2006 Olympic Champion
    2002 & 2010 Olympic Silver medallist

And he is the weakest link? Oh boy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    9 times Russian National Champion
    7 times European Champion
    3 times World Champion
    4 times Grand Prix Final Champion
    2006 Olympic Champion
    2002 & 2010 Olympic Silver medallist

And he is the weakest link? Oh boy.
    Aww, don't feel upset, it's just a game! Hooray for Games! Also, I don't think anyone would want to run this risk of sounding just like a Kwazed Kwaniac by listing by rote all of her/his favorite's athletic accomplishments to make a logical point. Y'know, the whole "9 Nationals and 5 Worlds and 2 Olympic Medals and 50 gazillion 6.0s and LEGEND" bit, except catering it for other über-accomplished skaters...

But I digress.

Back on point, I don't think there was a requirement to use any kind of logical thinking process to pick who gets offed. Although if one wanted to be reasoned and logical, that is totally, absolutely her/his prerogative. Yup, yup, yup!
    Last edited by satchelpooch318; 06-09-2012 at 03:17 AM. Reason: I can't complete my thoughts in a timely manner...

vCash
    Aww, don't feel upset, it's just a game! Hooray for games!
    Besides, I don't think there was a requirement to use any kind of logical thinking process to pick who gets offed. Although if one wanted to be reasoned and logical, that is totally, absolutely her/his prerogative. Yup, yup, yup!
    The question is clearly "Who is the weakest link?". I think even the most ardent of Plushenko haters would have to admit he is by no means the weakest link in that list.

vCash
    The question is clearly "Who is the weakest link?". I think even the most ardent of Plushenko haters would have to admit he is by no means the weakest link in that list.
    That may very well be undeniably true...but as I stated above, strange "logic" and strange interpretations of "weakest link" can sometimes lead people to make very strange and illogical decisions in this game. Which are all allowed of course! Joy! Ahh well, such is life -- c'est la vie.

vCash
    If there is a tie at the end, will both skaters go?

vCash
    I'm not sure whether there's an Australian version of "Survivor," misskarne, but here in the United States, contestants get voted off for being disrespectful, bossy, gossipy, and even too strong.

C'est la vie.

ETA: I did say to use whatever criteria you want. If you want to use logic, I don't have a problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    If there is a tie at the end, will both skaters go?
    Yes. At least for now. I might issue a fire-building challenge when we get to the Final Four.

Last edited by Vagabond; 06-09-2012 at 04:57 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast