View Poll Results: Who is the weakest link?

Voters
233. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alexei Urmanov

57 24.46%
  • Todd Eldredge

54 23.18%
  • Elvis Stojko

22 9.44%
  • Ilia Kulik

3 1.29%
  • Alexei Yagudin

4 1.72%
  • Evgeni Plushenko

2 0.86%
  • Stéphane Lambiel

2 0.86%
  • Brian Joubert

12 5.15%
  • Jeffrey Buttle

27 11.59%
  • Evan Lysacek

41 17.60%
  • Daisuke Takahashi

5 2.15%
  • Patrick Chan

4 1.72%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    People are only voting for Lysacek because he beat Plushenko....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    I agree. I always get a good laugh when people claim that Lysacek lacks skating skills. Since 2006, how many times did Lysacek finish off the podium in a competition? Twice (4th 2006 Olympics & 5th 2007 Worlds)

vCash
    Plushenko is anything but a fan fave around here so I seriously doubt that.

vCash
    Urmanov actually followed his Olympic win with a couple of very strong skates in the following years (1995 Euros, 1996 GPF, 1997 Euros), even though he was never too consistent or healthy at Worlds after 1994. Even 3 years after his Olympic win, he was still seen by the judges as the best when all the top skaters skated clean (1997 Worlds short program). He had interesting choreography and textbook jumps. He was a damn good skater.

Lysacek won both Worlds and Olympics and didn't really have any significant flaws as a skater or competitor other than the 3axel technique. He is by no means my favorite but he also does not deserve to be out of the game before some of the others do.

Voted for Stojko. Without the jumps he really has nothing. He was a great athlete, great jumper, but just an average skater and a poor artist.

Eldredge was dull but I admire that he worked hard to become a great spinner when spinning wasn't at all valued by the system back then. I do think he was lacking in versatility. Was torn between him and Stojko but would prefer to see a great spinner stay for one more round.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aidan View Post

My vote went to Urmanov. Even though I don't love his style, I acknowledge he's an excellent skater, but he just underperformed at most major championships except for the 94' Olypmics. He couldn't crack the World podium once after his Olympic win. I mean, when you look at his record at major championships (Worlds and Olympics), he basically has the same record as Sarah Hughes.
    Haven't decided who will get my vote, but ... to set the record straight, Urmanov did go on to win both a GPF (when it was called the "Championship Series Final) and a European title after his OGM, so I think his record is quite a bit better than that of Sarah Hughes.

vCash
    Plushenko is one of the most hated skaters on this board. People have their own reasons for voting for Lysacek and they have nothing to do with Plushenko.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    I voted Evan because of the poor 3A.
    As if he's the only one on the list who had a poor 3A!

vCash
    Which quality of Evan's was so worse than say, Brian's? To be clear, I'm no hater of both but I'd definitely put Evan ahead of Brian for being stronger.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Urmanov actually followed his Olympic win with a couple of very strong skates in the following years (1995 Euros, 1996 GPF, 1997 Euros), even though he was never too consistent or healthy at Worlds after 1994. Even 3 years after his Olympic win, he was still seen by the judges as the best when all the top skaters skated clean (1997 Worlds short program). He had interesting choreography and textbook jumps. He was a damn good skater.
    ITA. Moreover, Urmanov probably would've won 1997 Worlds if he didn't get injured and was forced to withdraw before the FS. Urmanov won the QR, SP, and based on how mediocre much of the skating was among the top men during the FS, would probably have no problem winning overall even if he made a couple of mistakes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Haven't decided who will get my vote, but ... to set the record straight, Urmanov did go on to win both a GPF (when it was called the "Championship Series Final) and a European title after his OGM, so I think his record is quite a bit better than that of Sarah Hughes.
    That's why I specified I was comparing their records at major championship (Olympics and Worlds). See quote below.

Quote Originally Posted by aidan View Post
    I mean, when you look at his record at major championships (Worlds and Olympics), he basically has the same record as Sarah Hughes.
    It's difficult to compare results across other events, because Worlds and Olympics are the only two events where the Worlds best compete against each other.

Euro's is a regional competition and the GPF excludes many skaters who have elected not to compete in the GP for whatever reason.

And for the record, Sarah did win a couple of medals at the GPF. And while their is no true Euro's equivalent, if she chose to compete at 4CC, she likely would have captured a few medals.

I'm definitely not a fan of Sarah Hughes skating and would never compare her abilities to Urmanov (who IMO was a better skater than Eldredge and Stojko), but sadly their competitive records at major championships is basically the same.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vodkashot View Post
    ITA. Moreover, Urmanov probably would've won 1997 Worlds if he didn't get injured and was forced to withdraw before the FS. Urmanov won the QR, SP, and based on how mediocre much of the skating was among the top men during the FS, would probably have no problem winning overall even if he made a couple of mistakes.
    It was a very unfortunate injury. Urmanov was skating really well at that time. He had to withdraw from the LP, which cost Russia a spot on the 98 Olympic team, which cost Urmanov to defend his 1994 title. He was a much better all around skater in 97 than he was in 94 when he won the OGM. Dick Button often commented on him as "Very interesting skater".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    It was a very unfortunate injury. Urmanov was skating really well at that time. He had to withdraw from the LP, which cost Russia a spot on the 98 Olympic team, which cost Urmanov to defend his 1994 title. He was a much better all around skater in 97 than he was in 94 when he won the OGM. Dick Button often commented on him as "Very interesting skater".
    Interesting, yes, even if I'm not fond of Mishin's choreos. But at first, he was a very very good technical skater.

vCash
    Oh. I thought people were voting for Evan because he stole Frank from Kwan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    No, he just took her leftovers

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post

vCash
    If Lysacek had beaten board favorite Yagudin, ok. But Plushenko????

vCash
    I'm surprised that people are citing Jeffrey as weak in the jumping department when Stephane was also somewhat weak in the jumping department and still has no votes...

vCash
    Had to go with Todd, even if he is a sexy beast who can polish my Lalique chandelier anytime....uhhhh....

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I picked Jeffrey Buttle. In terms of technical ability he was the weakest champion, and he had to get lucky to win the world title.
    Please explain this comment. He clearly out-skated every other competitor by a country mile at 2008 Worlds winning both the SP and LP segments. "Luck" had nothing to do with it. You almost make it sound as if he won by the skin of his teeth, like Lysacek did in 2010.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 06-07-2012 at 03:07 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    Had to go with Todd, even if he is a sexy beast who can polish my Lalique chandelier anytime....uhhhh....
    Sexy beast? I don't know if this is a mainstream POV...

Did you get that Lalique Chandelier at the old Trophee Lalique?

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Please explain this comment. He clearly out-skated every other competitor by a country mile at 2008 Worlds, IMO. "Luck" had nothing to do with it.
    Possibly was lucky Lambiel and Brian did so poorly? But even if they had skated well, he had a great skate and could have won.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast