View Poll Results: Who is the weakest link?

Voters
233. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alexei Urmanov

57 24.46%
  • Todd Eldredge

54 23.18%
  • Elvis Stojko

22 9.44%
  • Ilia Kulik

3 1.29%
  • Alexei Yagudin

4 1.72%
  • Evgeni Plushenko

2 0.86%
  • Stéphane Lambiel

2 0.86%
  • Brian Joubert

12 5.15%
  • Jeffrey Buttle

27 11.59%
  • Evan Lysacek

41 17.60%
  • Daisuke Takahashi

5 2.15%
  • Patrick Chan

4 1.72%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Men's ROUND 1

Inspired by SamuraiK's Ladies' Champions Survivor game, I thought I'd start one for Men.

The contestants are the last twelve men to win a World or Olympic title.

The choices are:

Who is the weakest link? Use whatever criteria you want!

vCash
    Had to go with Urmanov here. Next is probably Jeffery Buttle then Lysacek.

vCash
    As much as I like him, had to pick Todd. Only one world title, and no Olympic medals, despite attending multiple Olympics. Almost went with Jeff Buttle, since a lot of his medal-winning performances weren't close to clean in the jump department, but he does have an Olympic bronze. Joubert was another candidate but I think he has more world medals than Todd.

vCash
    LOL, Vagabond, I was planning to star one for the men tomorrow but you beat me to it It's ok though, if you need help with starting the next rounds let me know

Men's probably my fave category and I like every single skater here. Well except Chan but he definetly deserves to stay around a few rounds. So I'll go with Eldredge. His skating is by far the less memorable.

vCash
    Finally- the poll I have been waiting for

I picked Jeffrey Buttle. In terms of technical ability he was the weakest champion, and he had to get lucky to win the world title. He was beautiful to watch, but he was the most inconsistent jumper among top level skaters. He did win an Olympic bronze, but he made several mistakes even in that. I see him as a talented artist who was very weak on the athletic side.

I am surprised that Todd and Urmanov are getting more votes than anyone else. Todd was a medal contender for many years, and he won other world medals too; just not an Olympic one. Urmanov is hated in N.America because he beat Elvis Stojko in the Olympics. Urmanov had perfect jump technique and he definitely had a style, with lines and posture. IMO he is the most underappreciated (even unappreciated) Olympic champion ever.
    Last edited by Vash01; 06-06-2012 at 07:51 AM.

vCash
    Tough one. Voted Urmanov.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Lysacek, simply because he is the only skater whose programs I have absoutely no desire to rewatch. Eldredge and Buttle would be next, but I can find a bit more to enjoy in their skating.

vCash
    Urmanov was an excellent stylist, despite North American TV people making fun of his costumes.

I picked Buttle.
    I thought his win in Gottenberg was a serious fluke.

vCash
    It was a tough choice between Eldredge and Lysacek. I voted Lysacek, but probably should have gone with Eldredge. Neither one ever had a shred of originality, or were memorable in any way.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Voted Todd. All these men are great, but to put Todd in the same company as Yagudin and Plushenko, never mind Kulik and Lambiel and Takahashi does not compute with me. My husband used to call him "No quad Todd."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    Lysacek, simply because he is the only skater whose programs I have absoutely no desire to rewatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    I voted Lysacek, but probably should have gone with Eldredge. Neither one ever had a shred of originality, or were memorable in any way.
    Voted Lysacek for the same reasons.

vCash
    Evan.

vCash
    I know this poll has just started, but wouldn't it be shocking if one of the OGM winners (Urmanov or Lysacek) gets booted out FIRST?

vCash
    It's difficult because they are all really good. But in term of pure skating abilities, I think Evan Lysacek is the worst.

vCash
    Eldredge is the weakest. In his own era he didnt achieve the success of Stojko, Urmanov or Kulik. Even Candelero, mostly a showboat skater, managed 2 Olympic medals to 0 for Todd. His non rivalry with Stojko was embarassingly bad, Stojko could even not attempt or fall on his quad and still beat a clean Eldredge, whereas vs the Russians Stojko would need his quad to beat them if they skated cleanly. Eldredge went from 1991 to 2001 with only 1 win over Stojko in total. In his World title year he lost U.S Nationals and came last at the GP final. He has never won the GP final, an Olympic medal, and without Stojko's short program fall or Kulik's brain cramp early in his LP wouldnt even have a World title.

Lysacek would have been my second choice. I didnt vote for him though as he could do what Eldredge almost never could do. Win. He also had more powerful jumps (apart from the axel which Todd's was much better), more performance quality even if he was over the top and forced at times, much harder choreography, better footwork, more charisma, and almost equally strong spins.

I would never vote for Jeff. His World title winning performances would have won every Worlds or Olympics from 2007-2010 (Takahashi at the 2010 Worlds would have been the only close call) so I dont see how he was lucky. He certainly is a better skater than Eldredge or Lysacek, even if nowhere near as consistent. All 3 skating cleanly though with their quadless programs, Jeff would blow the other two away.

vCash
    I voted Evan because of the poor 3A.

Todd was an amazing skater, great spins, good technique and powerful programs. I wouldn't vote him off yet. I'm not going by medals but by who performed the strongest overall programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    Todd was an amazing skater, great spins, good technique and powerful programs. I wouldn't vote him off yet. I'm not going by medals but by who performed the strongest overall programs.
    ITA. I guess it's a matter of perspective, but I'm shocked Eldredge has so many votes. He did win 6 World medals, including a World title. That's made more impressive by the fact he did this over a 10 year period, so he had longevity and consistency.

Sure, he didn't win an Olympic medal, but that's not the barometer that I used to measure things. In fact, in the three Olympics he competed in, he was really only favoured to win a medal in Nagano. Timing and injuries just weren't his friend with regards to the Olympics.

My vote went to Urmanov. Even though I don't love his style, I acknowledge he's an excellent skater, but he just underperformed at most major championships except for the 94' Olypmics. He couldn't crack the World podium once after his Olympic win. I mean, when you look at his record at major championships (Worlds and Olympics), he basically has the same record as Sarah Hughes.

vCash
    I didn't vote for Eldredge because he has good skating skills, or at least, better than Lysacek's. But he was awfully Zzzzzzzz.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I know this poll has just started, but wouldn't it be shocking if one of the OGM winners (Urmanov or Lysacek) gets booted out FIRST?
    Not shocking given the large anti-Lysacek sentiment on FSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Not shocking given the large anti-Lysacek sentiment on FSU.
    Anti-Lysacek ?
    Evan was a hero when he won over Plushenko !

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast