View Poll Results: Best 2A by a lady: Pick 3.

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mao Asada

29 20.00%
  • Oksana Baiul

13 8.97%
  • Tonya Harding

51 35.17%
  • Sarah Hughes

13 8.97%
  • Midori Ito

63 43.45%
  • Kim Yu-Na

52 35.86%
  • Anna Rechnio

9 6.21%
  • Gabriele Seyfert

5 3.45%
  • Irina Slutskaya

28 19.31%
  • Elena Vodorezova

8 5.52%
  • Elaine Zayak

3 2.07%
  • Other

39 26.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Holly Cook's 2 axel was amazing. I'd never seen Kowai's before -- she gets more height than any I've seen. (Perhaps the camera angle?)

From the time when the double axel was a required jump in the SP (not sure when that was) it was such an important jump that skaters just didn't get very far without it. I can remember some with bad technique, but competitive senior ladies seemed to fall on the double axel quite rarely, and I don't think that there were (or are) edge issues. Very different than the lutz or the flip or even the loop.

It's funny but I always think of Holly Cook as the skater who accidentally won the world bronze in 1990 over Kristi Yamaguchi. Holly never even made the USA world team again. So I never really paid attention to her. Now I will need to go back and watch her 2A.

About the double axel edge isssues, you are right that it's not like the lutz/flip issues, since the skaters absolutely has to take off from the forward outside edge for the axel. Dick Button often talks about that treacherous forward outside edge which is harder to control. In pairs we see a lot more falls/problems on the 2A because I believe the skaters have less time to practice it.

IMO some skaters just struggle with the axel jump, and so they never make it to the world level. The 2A does require 2.5 revolutions, so it is considered a difficult jump. IMO we don't see many falls on it because only the strongest survive.

vCash
    I voted for Mao Asada love her 2A the entrance the air positioning,the smooth landing, and most of all how effortles she makes it look.
    i also voted for kim because she also makes it look effortles
    and last but not least i voted for midori for her HUGE 2A with her monstrous height

vCash
    Holly Cook's 2axel

She gets so much DISTANCE, and there's tremendous speed coming out, such a strong edge.

vCash
    It's funny but I always think of Holly Cook as the skater who accidentally won the world bronze in 1990 over Kristi Yamaguchi. Holly never even made the USA world team again. So I never really paid attention to her. Now I will need to go back and watch her 2A.
    Holly was as surprised as anyone. Her coach was great at teaching the 2 axel. There were several other skaters trained by Chris Sherard who also had excellent 2 axels.
    This is the best video quality I have found of her 2 axel My memory says she landed a couple of 3 axels in practice that last year before she stopped competing.
    Last edited by A.H.Black; 06-09-2012 at 04:56 AM.

vCash
    Midori and tonya obviously had exceptional 2As.. Noteable mentions should go to Yuna Kim, Asada, Slutskaya and i also think elene vodorezova has a good one

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Interesting point.

Holly had excellent basics, and if it hadn't been for the elimination of figures at the international elite level in 1991, may very well have made the world team again bound for Munich had she skated a clean four triple routine at Nationals. Though she attempted it in Minneapolis, I'd never seen her land the triple loop in competition.

Looking at 1990 Worlds, apart from Trenary, Ito, and Yamaguchi, Holly really was competitive with the rest of the potential medal contenders jump for jump, (who also had good compulsory figures).

Natalia Lebedeva (URS), Patricia Neske (FRG), and Evelynn Grossmann (GDR) all had the triple toe and triple salchow in their free skating routines, which they repeated, or planned to. Although, it appears Grossmann at that point had lost the triple flip.

Canada's Lisa Sargeant had these jumps as well as the triple loop.

Yamaguchi in finishing 4th, had much stronger jump content than the above, but much weaker figures (where she placed 9th.)

vCash
    Ahhh the good old days when the US was almost guaranteed to medal at Worlds for ladies. Think about it 3 of the top four at Worlds in 1990 were US skaters and of course the next year they swept the podium. How far we've fallen that a top 4 finish at Worlds is considered good now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    This is the best video quality I have found of her 2 axel
    lol The exact same 2axel I linked to. It was a beauty.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Holly must have been pretty good at something because she was so much of a nobody on the international level that an accidental gift from the judges at Worlds was very unlikely. I've actually wondered if they were not making up for her figures scores being lower than her actual performance. I've heard her outside rocker was just breathtaking.

Whatever it was, the judges rewarded her for a decade and a half of patching the last time they could.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 06-09-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Holly had great figures, great speed, a "+3" double axel, and a "+2" triple toe.

People recall that she was great at figures, but forget that she was also a short program skater. Her free skates, though, were often .

vCash
    For me,Lu Chen's is excellent as well.

Vacant
    vCash
    The cards fell just right for Holly Cook at 1990 Worlds. She was strong in figures and skated well when the free skating big guns of Ito and Yamaguchi bombed. Then came the SP where she was the ONLY one of the top figures placers to really hold it together and deliver. Was she 3rd in the SP to Ito and Kristi? Trenary obviously had problems. Had Yamaguchi skated anywhere near her best in the free, the likelihood is that Kristi would have got bronze and placed above Trenary in the free giving Ito the title. Instead she had the meltdown of her career and Holly just about held it together to land 3 triples, place 4th in the free and win the bronze.

vCash
    Liza! I love her tano 2a, the height she gets on that jump is just

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    The cards fell just right for Holly Cook at 1990 Worlds. She was strong in figures and skated well when the free skating big guns of Ito and Yamaguchi bombed. Then came the SP where she was the ONLY one of the top figures placers to really hold it together and deliver. Was she 3rd in the SP to Ito and Kristi? Trenary obviously had problems. Had Yamaguchi skated anywhere near her best in the free, the likelihood is that Kristi would have got bronze and placed above Trenary in the free giving Ito the title. Instead she had the meltdown of her career and Holly just about held it together to land 3 triples, place 4th in the free and win the bronze.
    Was the artistic mark the tiebreaker that year or the technical? If the artistic mark was the tiebreak I dont see anyway Kristi would have beaten Jill in the free skate that year even skating cleanly personally. She wasnt a very strong artistic skater at that point.

Lebedeva and Neske skated very good short programs but their performances didnt have the excitement of Cook's.

vCash
    Holly Cook for sure.

I always thought Sasha Cohen had a good 2A because the "step up" into the jump (as Dick Button would say), tight rotation, and strong landing position. It was a very precise jump for her.

Nicole Bobek also had a 2A with great lift and suspension. All four (!) in this program were excellent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omjd6usnS_U

Lisa Ervin also had a nice one.

Gotta disagree about Vanessa Gusmeroli. She was an interesting skater but muscled a lot of her jumps. Her 2A often landed on wobbly edges.
    Last edited by all_empty; 06-12-2012 at 04:44 PM.

vCash
    So hard to only pick 3.... they are all so amazing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123