Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

vCash
    Just a note.. a lot of hotels won't book more then 11 to 12 months in advance. Patience is a virtue

I expect hotel cost to be much higher the Omaha, but that's true almost year round..

I go to the Boston area a couple of times a year for visits with a friend and if I can get a hotel near her for $150 I am doing GREAT!

vCash
    I'm going to wait for those "negotiated rates, at plush hotels" that Boston2014 mentioned!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Just a note.. a lot of hotels won't book more then 11 to 12 months in advance. Patience is a virtue

I expect hotel cost to be much higher the Omaha, but that's true almost year round..

I go to the Boston area a couple of times a year for visits with a friend and if I can get a hotel near her for $150 I am doing GREAT!
    Hopefully the local organizing committe will price the All Evant Ticket packages very reasonably to offset the hotel costs. The Ticketmaster fees that are being charged for 2013 Nationals are outrageous. At least the San Jose LOC initially handled the ticket sales, which saved the purchaser the added Ticketmaster fees.

vCash
    The hotel tax rate in Omaha will be 18.16% as opposed to 14.45% in Boston. Those who will be paying $159 per night in Omaha will be spending $187.87 based on that effective tax rate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Hopefully the local organizing committe will price the All Evant Ticket packages very reasonably to offset the hotel costs. The Ticketmaster fees that are being charged for 2013 Nationals are outrageous. At least the San Jose LOC initially handled the ticket sales, which saved the purchaser the added Ticketmaster fees.
    I bought my tickets at San Jose for Omaha and I don't think I was hit with any Ticketmaster fees...

Hopefully Boston will be in Omaha to take the orders in person. (Yes, I will wait until then!)

I have actually pretty much decided that going forward it has to be Championship weekend only. I wind up every year missing so much of the other stuff that it's just become a waste of money to buy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    The hotel tax rate in Omaha will be 18.16% as opposed to 14.45% in Boston. Those who will be paying $159 per night in Omaha will be spending $187.87 based on that effective tax rate.
    I booked my hotel in Omaha at the Team USA rate which is $92.65 per night.

vCash
    I booked my hotel in Omaha at the Team USA rate which is $92.65 per night.
    Great deal for you! I was just using the max rate for one of the official hotels in Omaha for comparison purposes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Great deal for you! I was just using the max rate for one of the official hotels in Omaha for comparison purposes.
    I don't see the relevance of your comparison. Sure the effective tax rates are different (a difference of $3.71 per $100) Based on your example, a $159 room would cost $187.87 in Omaha & $181.97 in Boston. However, the average hotel rate in Boston is substantially higher than Omaha. You mentioned a maximum rate of $159 in Omaha. The minimum rates that hotels near the venue in Boston are higher than $159 per night.

vCash
    I don't see the relevance of your comparison. Sure the effective tax rates are different (a difference of $3.71 per $100) Based on your example, a $159 room would cost $187.87 in Omaha & $181.97 in Boston. However, the average hotel rate in Boston is substantially higher than Omaha. You mentioned a maximum rate of $159 in Omaha. The minimum rates that hotels near the venue in Boston are higher than $159 per night.
    Point taken.

vCash
    Another thing to consider about Boston: the T does not run very late compared to subway systems in other large towns. By the time the event finishes and you find some where to eat, the T could be finished for the night. Added to that, cabs are NOT plentiful compared to other major cities.

If you plan to stay further to get a cheaper hotel room, be sure to factor in the cost of getting a cab back and the time it takes to find one.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Any word/inside info on ticket sales yet?

vCash
    Sorry about the delay but we've been waiting for a few things to be finalized, including the schedule, which the event referee needs to approve. We are hoping to have everything resolved within the next few weeks so that we can launch our web site and start taking all-event ticket orders right after Labor Day (we will be offering the opportunity to order directly from us for a small shipping & handling charge to avoid Ticketmaster charges).

We will post an update here as soon as the site is launched or about to launch, but those interested in receiving a direct email notice should sign up for our mailing list.

Thanks for your patience and trust that we are as anxious to get things underway as many of you are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston2014 View Post
    ...we will be offering the opportunity to order directly from us for a small shipping & handling charge to avoid Ticketmaster charges.
    Thank you thank you thank you. I'm still upset about Omaha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Another thing to consider about Boston: the T does not run very late compared to subway systems in other large towns. By the time the event finishes and you find some where to eat, the T could be finished for the night. Added to that, cabs are NOT plentiful compared to other major cities.

If you plan to stay further to get a cheaper hotel room, be sure to factor in the cost of getting a cab back and the time it takes to find one.
    Boston cabs are also extremely expensive compared to most other big cities - going from TD Garden to Fenway or Longwood via cab can easily run you $15-20, and it can reach $35-40 if you're staying on the outskirts of the city.

Let's see what I can offer...
    Both Kenmore and Fenway have Best Westerns, though I'm not sure about anything else for either of them. (Kenmore/Fenway also has the Hotel Commonwealth, which is easily one of Boston's best but will easily run $300-ish a night.) Hotels in the city are obviously quite expensive - you're looking at around $250 and up for downtown and around $175 and up for Back Bay, which is a more pleasant area but not as close to TD Garden.
    Cambridge is a good deal (have gotten a room at the Hyatt for $120 before taxes/fees recently), but be mindful of the neighborhood - the closer to Kendall, the better in terms of convenience, and areas such as Harvard Square are actually quite pricey. Also, it might actually be worth considering hotels close to Logan if proximity and budget are the biggest issues - they're right across the tunnel from TD Garden and are usually a bit cheaper than the downtown or waterfront options.
    If money is no object, though, the Liberty is fantastic and within walking distance...

vCash
    How far apart are the two venues, and is there one line that goes between them? Which venue will have most of the events? Thanks.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    TD Garden should have all the Championship (Senior) events: http://www.tdgarden.com/getting-here/index.html

ETA that UMBS Go Blue and others have posted useful information earlier in this thread, starting here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...88#post3586688
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-17-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks

vCash
    Thanks, Boston2014. Just wanted to start making plans!

vCash

2014 All Event Tix on Sale Monday, September 24!

Hello FSUers -

The 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships web site is (finally) up. Please go to www.boston2014.com for information about the event, including all event ticket options, hotel information and a preliminary event schedule. There is also an extensive FAQ section, which we will continue to expand as we see what types of additional questions you have.

We will begin taking advance all event ticket orders on Monday, September 24. This is your chance to secure the best possible seats, so now is the time to start making plans.

We hope to see a large and enthusiastic crowd from FSU at the event, and we'll be ready for you.

Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast