Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! WEST COAST!!

We got so many competitions but not the one that matters!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    I apologize for my stupidity. Been on pain meds for dental surgery, so I'm a little fuzzy.

Thanks, Maureen and Sylvia.
    (((((kwanette)))))
    Thinking of you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston2014 View Post
    Hello FSUers!

The Skating Club of Boston is thrilled to see so much enthusiasm for the U.S. Figure Skating Championships returning to Boston in 2014. We of course are extremely excited to host this extra special event, which will not only showcase top talent at all levels of our sport (including Olympic team hopefuls), but will also mark and celebrate the 100th anniversary of the U.S. Championships.

Since we only just got the news at the same time you did, we're still getting organized and working through a few details about the event with U.S. Figure Skating. We know you're anxious to find out about ticket packages and hotel options, so we're working on a website that will have all of that information and more. We hope to have everything set and ready to launch by early July, so please stay tuned.

In the meantime, there are a few things that we can tell you:

[/URL].
    WHAT! DID I JUST SEE A SKATING CLUB/ORGANIZING COMMITTEE THAT CARES ENOUGH ABOUT FANS TO GIVE US INFORMATION???? THAT WILL KEEP US INFORMED AND MAYBE ANSWER OUR QUESTIONS? I MUST BE DREAMING...PINCH ME....I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS KIND OF ATTENTION IN 15 MAJOR SKATING EVENTS....MAYBE I CAN AFFORD BOSTON AFTER ALL...I WOULD LIKE TO SHAKE THIS PERSON'S HAND. THANK YOU FOR TREATING US LIKE VALUED CUSTOMERS AND NOT NECESSARY EVILS....
    Chris going to darkest Montana for a week to recover from the shock

vCash
    Hello FSUers!

The Skating Club of Boston is thrilled to see so much enthusiasm for the U.S. Figure Skating Championships returning to Boston in 2014.

so this is legit? *faints*

vCash
    I'm planning to be there.
    I hope that the details fall into place, so that I can.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I'm planning to be there.
    I hope that the details fall into place, so that I can.
    Good!

vCash
    For getting to, from, and around Boston, this is a good place to start. The trains into and out of Boston are known as the "T".

http://www.mbta.com

I can ride the T into Boston from the town I work in. I will try to attend at least some of the events. Marissa and Simon have this maneuver where Simon grabs Marissa's feet and spins her around at an angle. It looks like Marissa's head is about to smash into the ice. It's pretty shocking the first time you see it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! WEST COAST!!

We got so many competitions but not the one that matters!!

Nationals 2012 - San Jose California

LOL!

(This is just proof that what folks are really saying is "it's not in MY backyard!")

vCash
    Well, this one will be the de facto Olympic qualifier.

vCash
    I hope I can make it there -- must start planning for it. I used to live in the Boston area, and it will be fun to go back to attend a U.S. Nationals in bean town!

Surely Ross Miner and other Boston area skaters must be stoked to have the 2014 Nationals taking place in their stomping grounds.

vCash
    If anyone familiar with the area can recommend reasonably priced hotels near a T stop, I'd appreciate it. Looks like many of the decent hotels in downtown Boston cost at least $200 per night. I want to go but prefer not to go broke either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by livetoskate View Post
    If anyone familiar with the area can recommend reasonably priced hotels near a T stop, I'd appreciate it. Looks like many of the decent hotels in downtown Boston cost at least $200 per night. I want to go but prefer not to go broke either.
    On the orange line, you'll find a holiday inn type hotels in Somerville, Medford, Malden. It would only be a 10 minute ride to the garden.
    On the blue line, there are cheaper options in Revere.
    On the red line, you should be able to find something in Quincy.

The hotels in Boston and Cambridge can be very expensive.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Just a note on the Braintree branch of the Red Line:

* North Quincy stop: Only one hotel nearby, the Adams Inn, which is... okay for functions, but sort of... meh... for lodging. It's also a mile away from the station; taxi cabs are always waiting at the station as there will not likely be any hotel shuttle late at night. Muggings have also increased in the area lately.
    * Wollaston stop: only one sketchy motel nearby, the Presidents City Inn. Anecdotal increase in muggings in this area lately.
    * Quincy Center stop: no motels/hotels nearby. Acute mugging problem here anyway.
    * Quincy Adams stop: the Marriott is in the nearby Crown Colony office park, about a half-mile away. They may or may not run a shuttle to the T stop but taxicabs are always available here. The Marriott may not give you enough of a price advantage over staying in Boston/Cambridge relative to the time/hassle involved in getting there. It attracts lots of business clients so may be more booked-up and expensive during the week. Should be no safety problem here as you're walking through an office park with plenty of private patrols.
    * Braintree stop: plenty of motels here of borderline sketchy quality. If it's a concern to you, the state sometimes puts homeless people and welfare families in these motels.

If you're going to do Red Line, I would consider Cambridge as a closer and more attractive alternative (and also close enough to cab/bus your way from the Garden). Several hotels at/near Kendall Square where MIT is, and several inns in the Harvard area. There may also be some motels of the borderline sketchy Braintree variety (as mentioned above) at Alewife.

Bottom line: search patiently and make cancelable reservations now within Boston/Cambridge if you find a good deal, but then go on Priceline/Hotwire in the weeks leading up to the competition to find better deals. If you do, then snap up the Priceline/Hotwire rates and cancel the original reservation.

Also consider booking something at Logan Airport as there are many more rooms here, and because public transportation between the airport and the Garden is very easy and very frequent, without any extra surcharge like in other cities... and then waiting for a Priceline deal later. Also, for your later Priceline deal, don't be afraid to consider an airport hotel if it offers you a super cheap rate.
    Last edited by UMBS Go Blue; 06-14-2012 at 09:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by livetoskate View Post
    As suggested earlier, we would recommend waiting until the official hotels are announced before making any definitive plans as we have very good negotiated rates for some rather plush hotels that will put fans right in the middle of all the action (less than $200 per night, for sure). (Sorry for the tease, but we are still waiting for authorization to release details. Should be only a few more weeks.)

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    As suggested earlier, we would recommend waiting until the official hotels are announced before making any definitive plans as we have very good negotiated rates for some rather plush hotels that will put fans right in the middle of all the action (less than $200 per night, for sure). (Sorry for the tease, but we are still waiting for authorization to release details. Should be only a few more weeks.)
    Thanks!

vCash
    Boston2014, I'll wait and make my plans after you are able to share the details.

vCash
    Thanks for the information! I love Boston and am looking forward to this. It's great to have nationals in a place where there's also tons of other things to do, plus easy public transportation.

vCash
    I am looking forward to nationals in Boston. Hopefully the hotel rates that Boston2014 mentioned will be at a substantially reduced rate. I went to Boston/Cambridge for 2012 Ice Chips and loved the area. However, hotels are very expensive. I paid $175+ per night with the AAA rate in Cambridge. At that rate, it will cost me over $1000 just for the hotel, which is double what I will be paying to attend 2013 nationals. Staying in a hotel close to the venue is something that I put a very high premium on because, in my experience, the competition finishes very late each night.

vCash
    Staying in a hotel close to the venue is something that I put a very high premium on because, in my experience, the competition finishes very late each night.
    I also appreciate a hotel where I can get a bite to eat and a drink, for the same reason!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I also appreciate a hotel where I can get a bite to eat and a drink, for the same reason!
    Especially when competitions finish close to 11 PM! Chances are there will be restaurants that will be open at least until midnight or at least be able to order from room service.

Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast