Page 24 of 54 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

vCash
    http://www.newtonboutiquehotel.com/transportation.shtml
    is very close to the Riverside “D” branch of the Green Line, which should take you right into North Station where the TD Garden is. (If your train’s last stop turns out to be at Park Street or Government Center, just wait on the platform for a train marked North Station or Lechmere, and get off that train at North Station.)

This is a hotel in Braintree which may or may not have shuttle service to the Red Line in Quincy or Braintree. You would have to ride the Red Line to get to the Green Line. I’d advise calling the hotel to find out. There is an airport shuttle station close by to this hotel.
    http://www.braintree.place.hyatt.com...e/services.jsp

I do NOT recommend that you use the Motel 6 in Braintree which is walking distance from the Braintree Red Line station. This particular Motel 6 has a bad reputation for drug activity and other crime.

vCash
    Funny, I've lived in the north end for the past five years, and never really thought of it as actually in the north end, more on the outskirts! It's located pretty much right in the middle of the West end and North end, so there's a lot of options for places to eat. It's probably easier to get to the restaurants in the West End/Beacon hill just because the streets are wider and less crowded than the north end. But if you're dead set on North end pizza, Regina's or Pushcart are both delicious. The heart of the north end is only a 10 minute walk from the Garden. There's also a good selection of bar/restaurants directly across from the Garden that serve traditional American sports bar type of food. Oh, and if you want Mike's Pastries, go early in the morning, as that's usually the only time there's not a mile long line out the door I like modern pastry better, but they have a smaller selection than mike's. Also, don't forget about Bova's pastry shop...open 24 hours a day!

As far as hotels, I agree with those who say official is the best option for the price being offered. It's such a fantastic deal, and taking public transit to the city from the suburbs can be a pain at times. The easiest places to stay outside of the city are probably Revere, Somerville, Cambridge, ect.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    I like Modern Pastry better than Mike's, too. And I second the recommendation for Pizzeria Regina - YUM! I love everything about the North End. I've never seen it during winter when there's snow everywhere, so I'm looking forward to heading over there during Nats!
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    For those fans still looking at hotel options, the Marriott Long Wharf has just been added as an official hotel for 2014 ($179), http://www.boston2014.com/visitor-info/hotels/ . It's in a great location, especially for those looking to walk around and do some sightseeing.

vCash
    I am considering it but after talking with Susan, I think I will continue to stay at the Seaport ($159) near my friends at the Westin. Susan is such a treasure. She patiently answers all my questions. The MBTA is really a very friendly system once you study it. It costs $18 a week and the buses and trains run frequently. It is probably much better than the fan shuttle which will, I am guessing, run $100 to $200. The buses and trains run roughly every 5 to 9 minutes and the bus from the WTC to South station goes through an underground tunnel and only takes four minutes. Then its two short train rides to the TD gardens. Susan also said this Silver line bus runs from the WTC to the airport for free. Now its time to go back planning for worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    For those fans still looking at hotel options, the Marriott Long Wharf has just been added as an official hotel for 2014 ($179), http://www.boston2014.com/visitor-info/hotels/ . It's in a great location, especially for those looking to walk around and do some sightseeing.

vCash
    Thanks for posting this, Tammi.

For those of you considering the Marriott Long Wharf, please be aware that their reservation system is a little klugey as it is is not really set up for personalized group online reservations. In order to choose between a double bedded room or a king bedded room, please do the following:

• On the first page of the reservation site, you will select “dates” and “room types”, but “room types” on this first page is really the number of room occupants since the choices are single, double, triple or quad.
    • On the second page, you will need to click on the “+” symbol on the left hand side of phrase “Room & Accessibility Preferences (optional)”. This “+” symbol is below the room rate.
    • Once you click on that “+” symbol, then you can select a king or double bedded room.

The Marriott Long Wharf is about equidistant from the BCEC and the TD Garden, making both venues equally accessible. It's also right in the middle of a number of tourist attractions, like Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and the New England Aquarium. And it's right on the water, which provides for some simply spectacular views.

vCash

Boston it is! 2014 Nationals

I am tempted to move from the Hilton to the Marriott , but the price at the Hilton is so good

vCash
    The price difference between the Hilton vs Marriott Long Wharf is only about $5 when you consider the Marriott includes internet access, but the Hilton charges about $15/day for in-room internet access.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FridaCat View Post
    The price difference between the Hilton vs Marriott Long Wharf is only about $5 when you consider the Marriott includes internet access, but the Hilton charges about $15/day for in-room internet access.
    I get free internet at Hilton so.,,,,,

I changed. I should get free breakfast at the Marriott and I love collecting Marriott Rewards (better hotel options in Paris then Hilton )
    Last edited by Carolla5501; 02-24-2013 at 11:20 PM.

vCash
    I know it is too early for any official schedule. But to those that have attended many US Nationals, are the various parts of the competition similar year to year. That is - Senior - short programs are Thurs/ Fri and long programs are Sat /Sun
    Juniors - between Mon - Wed
    This is what I see for Omaha.
    Do you think the days will be the same for Boston?
    I probably can't get the whole week off work, so I am trying to figure out how see as much as I can.
    Thanks.

vCash
    Tentative schedule.

Looks like they are spreading the Juvenile and Intermediate events more evenly throughout the week, although there may be some changes - I don't see a Juv PD event and Int Pairs SP is listed, but I don't think they have an SP - unless the rules are changing.

Junior go from Tuesday through Friday.
    Last edited by Debbie S; 03-03-2013 at 10:58 PM.

vCash
    The 2014 Boston nationals website shows the corner loge tickets at 495, but the Ticketmaster website is showing those seats at 695. Do you know if this is a typo, and if so, what the right price is? I was looking at it from my iPad so it might not be formatting correctly- I just want to make sure .
    "You may know what you need, but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have." ~ Stephen Sondheim

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffClair1979 View Post
    The 2014 Boston nationals website shows the corner loge tickets at 495, but the Ticketmaster website is showing those seats at 695. Do you know if this is a typo, and if so, what the right price is? I was looking at it from my iPad so it might not be formatting correctly- I just want to make sure .
    The price is listed a few spaces below the category (End/Corner Loge, Row 11+ $495, correct on both sites). When viewed on a smaller screen, you're probably only seeing the price from the more expensive section above.

vCash
    The price is listed a few spaces below the category (End/Corner Loge, Row 11+ $495, correct on both sites). When viewed on a smaller screen, you're probably only seeing the price from the more expensive section above.
    Thanks!!! Love my iPad mini, except for times like this! :-D
    "You may know what you need, but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have." ~ Stephen Sondheim

Watch me move
    vCash
    Just to bump this thread with an accommodation recommendation - of course, while hoping that everyone will support the official hotels with their great rates.

This past week I spent a few nights at the Boston youth hotel, which is an excellent value. It is in a newly renovated building, and is very clean and modern. And for those of you who last stayed in a hostel, er, more than a while ago - you don't have to bring a sleeping bag, and you don't have to do chores There are cleaners who do all the cleaning. There were people of all ages staying there and it was a very sociable place. It has a huge kitchen with industrial-size fridges and storage space, and free breakfast every morning.

I stayed in a room with a private bathroom that had a double bed and a bunk bed, for $149 US/night. It easily could have accommodated two or three people. There are also 4-bed and 8-bed dorm rooms, with shared bathrooms, although I was told that there are plenty of the shared bathrooms and they are very clean.

The hostel is really close to the Chinatown and Boylston T stops, and I felt very safe wandering around the neighbourhood by myself, even at night.

The website is bostonhostel.org
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    Tentative schedule.

Looks like they are spreading the Juvenile and Intermediate events more evenly throughout the week, although there may be some changes - I don't see a Juv PD event and Int Pairs SP is listed, but I don't think they have an SP - unless the rules are changing.

Junior go from Tuesday through Friday.
    The Intermediate Pairs SP is a new segment for this season.

vCash
    For those of you who have not yet booked your hotel for the 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships, we are pleased to announce that due to the overwhelming demand for hotel rooms from our spectators, we have added the Boston Harbor Hotel as an Official Event Hotel for the event. Reservations are open now for booking. For more information about the Boston Harbor Hotel and how to book a hotel room, please visit the Hotels section of our website.

There is another major event in Boston at the same time as the championships, so we would advise that you make your lodging arrangements sooner rather than later, to avoid being stuck with an inconvenient location and/or an exorbitant rate.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Boston2014, do you know when the Skating Spectacular tickets will go on sale?

vCash
    We are targeting the end of September. If you're on our mailing list, you should receive advance notice. I will also post here once the date is confirmed.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston2014 View Post
    We are targeting the end of September. If you're on our mailing list, you should receive advance notice. I will also post here once the date is confirmed.
    Thanks!

Page 24 of 54 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast