Page 22 of 54 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Generally, in my experience, group hotel rates, even discounted ones like the ones negotiated for Nats, are eligible for rewards points. And I say this not only as a Marriott Gold Elite and Hilton Silver VIP but also as someone who has used official skating event hotel rates in the past (before Hilton was the official sponsor) and gotten points for them.

The hotel rates that are not eligible for rewards points are deep-discounted ones like those seen on discount sites such as Hotels.com and the auction feature on Priceline.com.

All this having been said, the rates, top-tier business hotels, and super-prime locations negotiated by the Boston 2014 committee for such an expensive hotel city are phenomenal, points or no points.

vCash

Boston it is! 2014 Nationals

And in spite of my best intentions..., I bought an All Event ticket. The reasonable hotel combined with a few free nights at a friends and Boston
    (Which I love) won me over.

One request Boston, please go back to the REAL program. No $2 newspapers with day old articles

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    And in spite of my best intentions..., I bought an All Event ticket.

One request Boston, please go back to the REAL program. No $2 newspapers with day old articles
    I will pass that along to TPTB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston2014 View Post

I will pass that along to TPTB.
    Actually maybe I should hope you stay on the paper. It probably saved me money. I didn't buy the program ($10 for adds and "welcome to Omaha letters" LOL!) and I didn't buy the newspapers. (But I won't pay $2 for a newspaper that's not current and is reprinting articles that were in the free paper provided by my hotel a day or so earlier.)

vCash
    Actually maybe I should hope you stay on the paper. It probably saved me money. I didn't buy the program ($10 for adds and "welcome to Omaha letters" LOL!) and I didn't buy the newspapers. (But I won't pay $2 for a newspaper that's not current and is reprinting articles that were in the free paper provided by my hotel a day or so earlier.)
    The $2 daily paper included the start order for each event, and the bios for each skater that was competing that day.

vCash
    Does anyone happen to know from booking at the Hilton whether or not they zap your credit card for the whole thing now, or is the card just to make the reservation as is most common with other Hotels? I want to reserve early, but I worry that I'll get a surprise on my bill next month!!

Also, what hotels is everyone choosing? Do we know which hotel will have most of the skaters? I need to plan my lobbychiking before I book a hotel! I also want to make sure there will be FSUers to hang out with in whatever hotel I choose.

The Hilton is not near the other hotels, but is closer to the TD Garden... What does everyone here think?
    Last edited by JeffClair1979; 01-28-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    "You may know what you need, but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have." ~ Stephen Sondheim

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    The $2 daily paper included the start order for each event, and the bios for each skater that was competing that day.
    Yes, all of that used to be included in the program. I was not impressed with the "improvement". I want it all in one easy to locate location, not 10 days of newspapers....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffClair1979 View Post
    Does anyone happen to know from booking at the Hilton whether or not they zap your credit card for the whole thing now, or is the card just to make the reservation as is most common with other Hotels? I want to reserve early, but I worry that I'll get a surprise on my bill next month!!

Also, what hotels is everyone choosing? Do we know which hotel will have most of the skaters? I need to plan my lobbychiking before I book a hotel! I also want to make sure there will be FSUers to hang out with in whatever hotel I choose.

The Hilton is not near the other hotels, but is closer to the TD Garden... What does everyone here think?
    Skaters etc are at the Westin. Right now it's "blocked" by USFSA I did check online and can get a room for $599 a night... I don't think so.

The Hilton did not charge my card just used it for a gurantee. Cancellation is 42 days in advance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffClair1979 View Post
    Credit cards are to guarantee the reservation; no deposit is charged now.

vCash
    I booked a room from Thursday thru Monday just in case I end up going. Thankfully there is flexibility in the cancellation policy. I am hopeful, but doubtful that there will be a championship weekend package offered. I was thankful that I was able to book a room just in case. Asa teacher, I cannot leave my kids for lithe full week. I miss when the completion ended on Saturday as it allowed for travel day on Sunday.

vCash
    I wasn't at Nationals, but I knew those "newspapers" were actually programs.

Still, on TV, it looked as though people in the stands were leafing through their newspapers, rather than watching the skating.

I didn't think that was a good image.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Skaters etc are at the Westin. Right now it's "blocked" by USFSA I did check online and can get a room for $599 a night... I don't think so.

The Hilton did not charge my card just used it for a gurantee. Cancellation is 42 days in advance.
    The Westin is open to spectators Thursday-Sunday with the special $159 rate if anyone's only coming in for the latter part of the week.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash

Boston it is! 2014 Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    The Westin is open to spectators Thursday-Sunday with the special $159 rate if anyone's only coming in for the latter part of the week.
    Thanks. Is that on the Boston page for booking. Might move there, but I do like the Hilton location better. Decisions....

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Thanks. Is that on the Boston page for booking. Might move there, but I do like the Hilton location better. Decisions....
    Yep, it was there last week when I booked. I like being connected to the BCEC.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    Thanks to all! I think I'll book the Hilton tomorrow- hope there's an FSU cocktail night so we can all cut loose!!

I also really like the location of the Hilton- it's just about halfway between both venues.
    "You may know what you need, but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have." ~ Stephen Sondheim

clutching a very dry gin martini up with a twist
    vCash
    I'd like to see the scoring pages in a durable program. I save my Nationals programs and do refer to them later. I also like to have the starting orders and previous results handed out prior to the competitions. I like the media guide also. This is now available on line and I plan to take my ipad to Boston. (Now I just have to survive the learning curve!)

vCash
    Thinking of staying closer to Convention Center since I love to watch practices.
    Is the area around the Convention Center fine to walk at night?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post
    Thinking of staying closer to Convention Center since I love to watch practices.
    The senior level practices will be held at the TD Garden.

vCash
    The senior level practices will be held at the TD Garden.
    All of them?
    Usually, senior skaters also practice at the practice rink until the final weekend, don't they?
    Besides, I love to watch novice/junior level skaters if possible...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post
    The BCEC is in the Seaport District. While this area is fairly industrial (most of the older buildings are former warehouses that are now office space), the Seaport District has been transformed over the past several years into a thriving nightlife hub for both locals and tourists. In addition to three major hotels, there are two convention centers (the BCEC and the older World Trade Center), as well as a slew of very popular restaurants and bars that draw a lot of people, so there are usually a fair number of crowds around at night. (And there are more hot spots underway, including a new place by Mario Battali that should be open by next year.)

There are also several major employers who have headquarters or have large employee groups situated within the Seaport - Manulife Financial and Fidelity are two - so in addition to revelers, the area also has a lot of people who are there for work. And although the area used to be primarily commercial, over the past 5+ years they have been converting a lot of the space to super deluxe (and expensive!) condos.

I used to work there 15+ years ago when it was fairly desolate and an outpost of artists, and I never had any concerns walking around late at night. Everyone should use their own judgment in assessing their own personal safety, though, and use basic common sense: read your map beforehand so you know where you're going, don't walk around talking on a the phone (but do have your phone handy to dial 911 if needed), walk in lighted areas, cross the street if you see someone who makes you uncomfortable, and remain aware of your surroundings. But that's stuff we should all be doing no matter where we are.

In case people missed it, we have an article on the Seaport on our web site (as well as articles on other Boston neighborhoods).

Page 22 of 54 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast