Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    YES YES YES! This news (kinda) makes up the Shpilband/Zoueva fiasco. Now to hope those dates work for me. Work ain't important, right?

vCash
    YES! A nationals I can finally attend! And in an Olympic year!

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    I'm going to guess that the USFSA would never have accepted a bid that didn't include decent negotiated hotel rates, so I'd expect once the announcements come out we'll see hotel rates less than that.
    Some people will always find something to whine about no matter how good the location, the venue, the logistics, or the costs. It's not like they have any value to add to just about any discussion anyway.

In any case, yay Boston! Plenty of historical sites to check out, great independent eateries, and plentiful public transit that negates the need for fan shuttles.

Edited to add: a recent thread with Boston travel tips. Here is a walking itinerary that will take a full day if you have time.

If you also have free time, check out the Museum of Fine Arts and the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum nearby.
    Last edited by UMBS Go Blue; 06-05-2012 at 07:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Hmm... they want decent "negotiated rates" for them. Not sure they really worry about the rest of us...

Plus "decent" is in the eye of the beholder. There was a lot of whining about rates this year for example, but once again it was a high $$ hotel cost city so the rates weren't bad, but they weren't what you got in Greensboro. Of course you can use public transport in Boston and won't need a car.
    For 2001 Nationals, the Boston LOC did a fabulous job negotiating hotel rates. I paid between $120 and $130 for a room at a Marriott. Even 12 years ago that was an incredible deal. I just hope the same people will be negotiating this time! That said, if you need to keep your costs way down, it will be harder in Boston than in Greensboro.

vCash
    AHHHH I'm GOINGG!!!! With my mother of course. So excited the northeast gets a major event again!
    Last edited by personwhoishere; 06-05-2012 at 07:22 PM.

vCash
    I am so excited!

Last Boston Nationals I drove home in a blizzard, but I don't care!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    Also, the Regionals and Sectionals host cities for fall 2013 are announced below the news about Boston.
    Too bad Easterns isn't being held at Ballston instead of the auto-oriented suburban blahness of Ashburn. Oh well. Assuming I'm still in the DC area, I'm sure I'll venture out to the boonies to catch some of the action.

As for Boston, while it's an absolutely fantastic city, I'm not getting excited until I know ticket prices. It's already an expensive city, but when you factor in the hype of a pre-Olympic Nationals, you have the recipe for an astronomically expensive vacation.
    Last edited by Aaron W; 06-05-2012 at 07:39 PM.

vCash
    Yesssssss... I am going.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Press release link posted in the other thread:

Dates are January 5-12, 2014 and the venues will be TD Garden and the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center.
    They're going to use the convention center as a rink? Wow. Big building in a very nice location. Major contemporary art museum right across the street. The T (subway) does not stop directly outside, but it is in walking distance - a few blocks-ish.

The TD Garden is directly on the T, in a neighborhood with many food options.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    So happy! Can't wait. A little surprised about the convention center being used, but there are huge hotels there, so it makes sense to get the practice rink near the hotels.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    So happy! Can't wait. A little surprised about the convention center being used, but there are huge hotels there, so it makes sense to get the practice rink near the hotels.
    I was also surprised at that. Have they ever put ice down in the convention center?

It's really nice, for a convention center. Very new. I remember the food inside being okay, not as gross as most convention center food.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    They're going to use the convention center as a rink? Wow. Big building in a very nice location. Major contemporary art museum right across the street. The T (subway) does not stop directly outside, but it is in walking distance - a few blocks-ish.

The TD Garden is directly on the T, in a neighborhood with many food options.
    It does, and I've been to BCEC multiple times. The MBTA Silver Line stops at the World Trade Center directly across the street. It is directly linked to BCEC via a large bridge with super-wide pedestrian sidewalks. The MBTA Red Line is also at South Station, a short 10-15 minute walk away across Fort Point Channel. And, of course, the FleetCenter TD Garden is directly above the MBTA Green and Orange Lines (and MBTA commuter rail to the northern/northwestern suburbs) at North Station. Because it's the Garden, there are plenty of sports pubs around open late, and the North End with its Italian eateries is a short walk away, including Mike's Pastry.

Lots of fabulous, trendy new restaurants in the BCEC area, which is the newly gentrified Fort Point neighborhood, including upscale Menton and my favorite, the super casual Flour Bakery, made famous by Joanne Chang who beat Bobby Flay in a sticky bun challenge.

vCash
    OH MY GOD IT'S DURING MY BIRTHDAY!!!
    HELLO 26TH BDAY GIFT!!!

(okay, I'll stop screaming now)

vCash
    After nearly 20 years of skating fandom, this is only the third time I'll be able to stay at someone's house and go to an event. Looking forward not having to deal with a hotel and going "home" after everything is over with. And an added plus is I love being in Boston. Such a great city! Can't wait!

vCash
    Would love to go to my first US Nats - fingers crossed it'll be possible!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    YES YES YES! This news (kinda) makes up the Shpilband/Zoueva fiasco. Now to hope those dates work for me. Work ain't important, right?
    Nowhere near as important as Nationals . Prioritizing is very important and I just wrote that on my yearly review. I failed to mention I will be prioritizing skating over work in January 2014, but that's a small detail.

vCash
    Boston. I can live with that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Some people will always find something to whine about no matter how good the location, the venue, the logistics, or the costs. It's not like they have any value to add to just about any discussion anyway.

In any case, yay Boston! Plenty of historical sites to check out, great independent eateries, and plentiful public transit that negates the need for fan shuttles.

Edited to add: a recent thread with Boston travel tips. Here is a walking itinerary that will take a full day if you have time.

If you also have free time, check out the Museum of Fine Arts and the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum nearby.
    I am thrilled with Boston. I am not whining... I kind of know what hotel costs in major cities are... HIGH I think Boston did a job last time and have high hopes for this one.

It's a great city, good food, good transport... a little cold that time of year, but it is skating so..

I know in the Christmas season you can skate in the Boston Common. Wonder if that will still be an option.

vCash

Wink

What NO West Coast?? Waaaaaah!!!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    YIPPEE!!!! 2001 is the only Nationals I ever went to, so I'm really looking forward to catching at least one of the events in 2014!

Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast