Page 20 of 54 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Ditto on kwanfan1818's post.

As with most major urban areas, transit frequency slacks off after the evening rush hour ends, and the last trains generally leave the center of the city for the outskirts between 12:00-12:30am.

If you're hanging out inside the city, drinking, clubbing, or what not, it should not be hard to call for a cab (ask the bar to call, or head to a hotel bellman/taxi rank) before midnight; however, keep in mind that Boston is an extremely early city (last call is often around midnight to 1 on the weekdays and around 1-2ish on weekends) so if you don't catch that last train, you'll be competing with mobs of people for taxis at around 1 or 2. I've hung out until that hour plenty of times and had access to a car; otherwise, it's complete chaos with people literally jamming and walking into the middle of streets trying to hail cabs.

Edited to add: I took my parents to 2001 Nationals in Boston and the Saturday night event, which runs the latest to accommodate live TV, ran until 11pm (that's when the late-night major network local news begins on the East Coast). Medal ceremonies took another 20 minutes. We took the T (subway) from the suburbs and they were holding extra trains at North Station to accommodate extra event-goers and to make sure they filled up before leaving. I imagine they do this often for events at the Garden. The Garden is built directly above the tracks of North Station so it only takes a matter of seconds to get down there; you will have plenty of time to make that last subway train at midnight. If you're taking commuter rail, check the individual line schedules at the MBTA website.
    Last edited by UMBS Go Blue; 12-27-2012 at 05:31 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    I like staying at the official hotels because I like being in the thick of the action and feeling like I'm part of the event. Also, the official hotels will probably have some of the best rates available since they're special rates for the event. Boston is a fantastic city. What a great gift!
    I like staying in the official hotels but have often found better rates on my own then via the "booking agencies" Granted I sometimes wind up waiting until VERY late in the game (booked the Omaha "offical' hotel in late November for example) Not to mention the cancellation terms for "offical" hotels often is very punative when booked via these booking "agencies"

vCash
    Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I am just a little concerned about staying somewhere that won't have a shuttle because when I went to Greensboro last year sometimes I didn't get out of the events until after midnight. I don't want to get stuck missing the train but also don't want to have to leave an event early to catch the last train. Does anyone know when the official hotels will be available for booking? I think I heard sometime in January.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mposl View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I am just a little concerned about staying somewhere that won't have a shuttle because when I went to Greensboro last year sometimes I didn't get out of the events until after midnight. I don't want to get stuck missing the train but also don't want to have to leave an event early to catch the last train. Does anyone know when the official hotels will be available for booking? I think I heard sometime in January.
    Seems like they said the first of the year earlier in this thread.. and that makes sense since most hotel booking engines don't really allow for booking more then 11 or 12 months in advance so that would work with the hotel reservation systems.

I used the shuttle last time but also took the T several times and don't really recall any problems.

vCash
    Hi everyone - Yes, our official hotels will open for booking in January so we'll be live soon. Happy new year!

vCash
    Just my two cents. I LIKE shuttles....you sit with fans, skaters, coaches, and not all skaters stay at the official offical event hotels, I have found, so I expect we shall see some skating folk at the Ren and the Seaport hotels. And there is all that lushish food nearby.
    I have nothing against Mass transit...if you are a city person with friends, its fine. Its just that I get lost alot in life...I would ride forever 'neith the streets of Boston....
    Quote Originally Posted by mposl View Post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Just my two cents. I LIKE shuttles....you sit with fans, skaters, coaches, and not all skaters stay at the official offical event hotels, I have found, so I expect we shall see some skating folk at the Ren and the Seaport hotels. And there is all that lushish food nearby.
    I have nothing against Mass transit...if you are a city person with friends, its fine. Its just that I get lost alot in life...I would ride forever 'neith the streets of Boston....
    But i don't think shuttles are even an option for Boston, or did I miss something?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    But i don't think shuttles are even an option for Boston, or did I miss something?
    You missed something. We've been told that there will be a shuttle to the official hotels but details are forthcoming.

vCash
    Yes, we will have a shuttle for all-event ticket holders who book their rooms through us. Details and price are TBD and won't be finalized until Fall 2013.

http://www.boston2014.com/visitor-info/getting-around/

vCash

Boston it is! 2014 Nationals

I guess that is why I did not think they were an option. I won't meet the qualifications

vCash
    Hotel update

Received the email below. Posting in case some of you missed, it went to spam etc... Hilton rate looks good if the cancellation policy is resonable. Guess we have to wait and see
    Hotel Reservations for the Official Hotels are opening soon!
    Direct booking links will be added to the boston2014.com website on Monday, January 21st. The boston2014.com website will also be updated with reservation terms and conditions and specific hotel reservation information for each of the official hotels.

To enjoy the special U.S. Championships rate, reservations must be made from the links posted on the Hotels page. All reservations booked through the boston2014.com website are subject to the terms and conditions specified there.

The official hotels for the U.S. Championships include three in the Seaport District and one in Boston's Downtown Financial District.

The Seaport Hotel, Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel and the Westin Boston Waterfront are located in the Championship Village in the Seaport District. A special event rate starting at $159.00 has been guaranteed at each property.

The Hilton Boston Downtown/Faneuil Hall is located in the heart of downtown Boston, a short walk to Faneuil Hall Marketplace and the Freedom Trail. A special event rate starting at $149.00 has been guaranteed at the Hilton.

For more information and the link for reservations, please visit Hotels under the Visitors tab starting at noon (EST) on Monday, January 21st.

vCash
    I'd definitely want to be splitting a room to make that rate work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I'd definitely want to be splitting a room to make that rate work.
    I was actually very impressed with the rates. for a city the size of Boston etc.. I think they have gotten some decent rates at some good hotels. This is a high cost hotel area unless you have a long commute or some "questionable" hotels.

That said if you do Priceline/Hotwire I have done well in Boston in the past. Probably not a an "official" hotel on the shuttle, but for the weekend it's an especially good option!

vCash

2014 Official Hotels

I was just coming here to post the hotel info, but I see I've been beaten to the task. It's hard to keep up with you people.

Here's the info again, with links:

Direct booking links will be added to the boston2014.com website on Monday, January 21st. The boston2014.com website will also be updated with reservation terms and conditions and specific hotel reservation information for each of the official hotels.

To enjoy the special U.S. Championships rate, reservations must be made from the links posted on the Hotels page. All reservations booked through the boston2014.com website are subject to the terms and conditions specified there.

The official hotels for the U.S. Championships include three in the Seaport District and one in Boston's Downtown Financial District.

The Seaport Hotel, Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel and the Westin Boston Waterfront are located in the Championship Village in the Seaport District. A special event rate starting at $159.00 has been guaranteed at each property.

The Hilton Boston Downtown/Faneuil Hall is located in the heart of downtown Boston, a short walk to Faneuil Hall Marketplace and the Freedom Trail. A special event rate starting at $149.00 has been guaranteed at the Hilton.

For more information and the link for reservations, please visit Hotels under the Visitors tab starting at noon (EST) on Monday, January 21st.
    Those considering other options should factor in additional ground transportation costs (trains, rental car, parking, cabs) if staying outside of the Seaport or Financial District, which can add up quickly. Not to mention that if you stay at an Official hotel, you'll have more time to enjoy the event and local scenery, instead of spending your time in a car or train traveling to the suburbs.

vCash
    Thanks! I think you got some good rates for Boston. I expect that compared to Omaha there may be some sticker shock (That said I am spending $139 a night for a hotel not that close to the arena for several nights and a lot more then that for the weekend at the Hilton!)

vCash
    I think those rates are great considering it's in a major US city!

vCash
    When I was considering Omaha, the rate I saw for the Hilton Garden Inn was $159 (or was it $155?). $159 was the price for most of the hotels in San Jose. Checking out the websites for these hotels and their normal rates, I would say the LOC got a good rate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I was actually very impressed with the rates. for a city the size of Boston etc.. I think they have gotten some decent rates at some good hotels. This is a high cost hotel area unless you have a long commute or some "questionable" hotels.

That said if you do Priceline/Hotwire I have done well in Boston in the past. Probably not a an "official" hotel on the shuttle, but for the weekend it's an especially good option!
    Did I say the organizing committee had done something wrong? Or that the rates were bad? I know it's a high cost area. And that doesn't change the fact that, in general, I would need to split a $150 hotel room to make it work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Did I say the organizing committee had done something wrong? Or that the rates were bad? I know it's a high cost area. And that doesn't change the fact that, in general, I would need to split a $150 hotel room to make it work.
    Boy you sure read a lot into my post...

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Boston2014, I received that same e-mail today. Thanks for all the information, everyone. I'm also considering going if I feel my situation is better and I'm stronger by that time. My question is how long do I have before I make the decision. I know and realize I probably can't wait too long.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Page 20 of 54 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast