vCash

Blind kitty...what to do?

Today when I went to my mosque, there was a cat in front of the building. When he realised that my husband and I were there, he woke up and began to meow. It was then that we realized he was blind. He was also very malnourished, hence his painful meows. We gave him some water and fed him some cat food. I don't think he's a feral. He came right up to us and he rubbed against me, my husband and another person who goes to our mosque. We stayed at the mosque for over and hour and when we left he was still there. I left more food for him.

I'm not sure what to do. I know because he's blind, he's very vulnerable. Our humane society is closed on Mondays, so I can't take him tomorrow. I'm going to check on him tomorrow to see if he is still there. If he is, I will give him more food. The humane society opens again on Tuesday, so I was thinking that maybe we could take him there then in a carrier.

What do you all think? Have any you ever encountered a similar situation?
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    I have known of deaf cats but not a blind cat.

I am sure he has probably adapted to his condition, but he also needs a good home. It is very good of you to be so concerned and want to help him.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I've seen cats who are blind but they adapt very quickly. The poor thing, thank you for helping it. If you can take it to the humane society and find out what you can, does it look old? If it's still relatively young and you can take it in I would do it. Chances of it being adopted would be next to nil and then it would be put down pretty quickly Just keep putting some food and water out until Tuesday and then take it to the vet and find out what you can then.

ETA - OOPS, meant quickly not slowly
    Last edited by kylet3; 06-03-2012 at 11:58 PM.
    Kyle

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I have such a soft spot for injured animals, I probably would have found a box to take him home in immediately. That's what I did for a bleeding pigeon I found outside one of my college buildings.

I think cats do okay when they're blind, if they still have their whiskers and their hearing. Probably not outside though. Same with blind dogs, if they're living indoors, don't move the furniture around too much, it probably freaks them out.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    You are so wonderful to help that poor little guy! Big hugs!

However, I wouldn't take him to the Humane Society unless it's definitely a no-kill shelter. An animal with a problem as big as being blind would be immediately put down. See if there are any animal rescue groups in your area. They can pick him up even tomorrow and try to find a foster home for him. Cats have such good instincts beyond sight, he could live in a safe place like a home very comfortably, and it sounds like he is very loving.

Where do you live? My daughter just adopted a rescue dog, and there are many of these groups and they are networked. I'd be happy to ask her for a contact who might be able to alert a rescue group in your area.

I hope he is rescued! Thank you for your efforts!

vCash
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "and then it would be put down pretty slowly". But hopefully there is a no kill shelter in modern muslimah's area that she can take the cat to if keeping it isn't an option.

vCash
    Do you have Blind Cat Rescue in your area? They would probably go get the kitty.

vCash
    Even some "no kill" shelters could put that cat down. I would take the cat in or find a sanctuary shelter.

vCash
    I hope kitty is still there tomorrow. Very kind of you to take action.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    A blind cat cant live outside. Some shelters do put down handicapped animals immediately. There are shelters for blind cats such as the Blind Cat Sanctuary in NC that might be able to direct you to an appropriate shelter in your area. If you are not sure which shelters in your area are no kill, I know that Tinami keeps a list.

FWIW, blind cats can be great pets as long as you dont move things around.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    You might check with the folks here: www.rollingdogfarm.org They have had blind cats before and may know about resources to help you and the kitty.

vCash
    My brother-in-law and sister-in-law in northern California adopted a neglected neighborhood cat that had a badly abcessed eye, and the vet removed its eye. I think the good eye was damaged from infection as well because the cat was basically blind. She lived a long and healthy life with them both indoors and outside in their well-fenced and large back yard. Cats have very keen senses and can do just fine without eyesight, since their owners take care of all food and shelter necessities. Hopefully some cat-loving folks will adopt this animal and give it a good home in a safe environment.

vCash
    I have no idea how this can be handled, but thank you so much for your kindness toward this poor cat. I hope he is still there tomorrow.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "and then it would be put down pretty slowly". But hopefully there is a no kill shelter in modern muslimah's area that she can take the cat to if keeping it isn't an option.
    A no-kill might hold off on euthing him for a while and then put him down for health reasons, a high-traffic shelter without a 'no-kill' policy might euth him immediately as a very hard placement. Which fair enough. money doesn't grow on trees and there aren't homes for every small animal out there. (Our local county shelter handed over management for a private 'humane' group and now they're overrun with cats.) Most shelters of either variety have to put their resources towards the animals they can reasonably expect to get adopted. (Shelters that keep everything forever no matter what its condition and who do ten-page, nearly-impossible-to-pass 'applications' for adoptions aren't really shelters. They're hoarders with a business name. Beware them.)

We've had a one-eyed cat and I have a friends whose kitty lost vision in both eyes. If they're in a relatively secure environment with which they're familiar, the do just fine without vision and live a normal life with minimal accommodation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Shelters that keep everything forever no matter what its condition and who do ten-page, nearly-impossible-to-pass 'applications' for adoptions aren't really shelters. They're hoarders with a business name. Beware them.
    This is extremely insulting and inaccurate. Yes, there are some shelters like this, but the majority that operate like this IMHO want to ensure that the animals, no matter what condition they're in, will go to good homes that will accommodate whatever needs the animals have.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Thanks for all the feedback and advice. I did find a no-kill shelter in the area online. We were going to take him there today. This morning we went back to the mosque with the cat carrier but the cat was not there. In fact, the plate of food I left was also gone. I am praying that someone found him and took him in. I'm going to go back again and leave some food just in case he is still around. If he is maybe that will lure him back and if not, some other kitty will have a good meal.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    I hope the cat is OK. I talked to my friend who knows a lot about animals and she said that should you decide to adopt this cat, you don' have to worry about him being in your home because blind cats are very aware of where everything is. She recommended a book "Homer's Odyssey", which was written by a woman who had adopted a blind cat, and at one time the cat saved the woman's life.