Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jeans Whine

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan1 View Post
    I tried on the Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda jeans. They were really cute, a light wash with little sparkly things on the back pockets. But they were too stretchy too. Made my thighs look twice as big.
    See, I am not a fan of sparkly pockets. But then again, I am 50, so don't feel a need to put sparkles there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan1 View Post
    I tried on the Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda jeans. They were really cute, a light wash with little sparkly things on the back pockets. But they were too stretchy too. Made my thighs look twice as big.
    A bootcut or wide-leg jean might balance out your lower half.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

garden freak
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    I think cropped pants should be outlawed. I don't know anyone who wears them who wouldn't look better in a pair of full-length.

I have one friend who is short and curvy and wears nothing but crops, making her look like she is shaped like a football. However she thinks she is a fashion maven and I'm not going to start a fight with her.
    Baggy cropped pants are truly scary, especially if you are a short person. But it is better than wearing shorts on a lot of people

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    A lovely young sales clerk (probably only 2 or 3 years younger than my friend) was very close to us and turned and said, "We really don't have anything for older people like you."
    One reason I love Anthropologie is that, more than once, I've commented to salesgirls (and they are girls) that I have to be careful what I buy there, much of what they have is interesting but not age-appropriate. They all say that the brand is meant for upscale, casual women of all ages and that plenty of middle-aged women shop there.

It doesn't matter whether it's true or not, it's smart training to say that. And at least around here, I do see older women shopping there.

Incidentally, their slacks, especially the wide leg, fit me absolutely perfectly true to size. Strongly recommend them, I have two pairs that are now five years old and I'm still wearing them to work.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Did anyone see the new TLC show last night called Big Brooklyn Style? The owner of Lee Lee's Valise is a plus size designer, and her latest venture is trying to figure out what features women hate/want in their jeans and make them herself. I believe future shows will show what she comes up with. She has a good grasp of what looks flattering on curvy women.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    I have bought one of those GAP curvy jeans. I have a tiny waist but my hips and thighs are not insubstantial. Apart from the sticker shock (most money I've ever spent on jeans, and totally regretted it) I don't find them to be very good quality. They got a hole in them just through regular wear and tear within 2 months, something that's never happened to me before. Also they fit perfectly in the dressing room, but within 2 weeks, they are falling off my butt even when zipped up. I know most jeans sag and get a little bigger as you wear them but never seen a pair do it to this extent. Now the pair I bought looks a size bigger than me even though I haven't lost weight.

To the OP, both DKNY (you can find them at Macy's) and American Eagle make very good, non stretchy jeans. Look for 100% cotton on the label.
    I'll be going to Macy's Saturday. I'm still hoping for a sale and a coupon in the paper before then. I have to go to Kohl's to use my 30% COUPON - for tops.

Some of the comments on the Old Navy site were about their jeans ripping near the zipper. I really don't need that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KCC View Post
    See, I am not a fan of sparkly pockets. But then again, I am 50, so don't feel a need to put sparkles there.
    I know, me too, but they were so pretty - really light blue (I had a couple CKs that light and they were called "sugar wash" instead of "stone wash".) I thought maybe the sparklies up higher would take the attention off my thighs!! :-)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Yesterday I went to Target and tried on 10 pairs of jeans, in different styles and sizes. I walked away with 2 I'm fairly happy about. One pair was $25, the other $30. I feel like this is too much for Target jeans, but they look nice on me, and my last pair of Target jeans lasted me a long time (two pairs ago, I guess technically the last pair I ended up hating.)

Now to hem them. The short are about 3 inches too long, the regular, even longer. (They have tall too...)
    I've never been able to buy anything at Target. Everything looks too young and trendy for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    I cannot wear jeans or any other kind of trousers with stretch. I know they're supposed to be more comfortable, figure-flattering, etc., but for me they're just the opposite. I have several well-fitting pairs of capris I purchased a couple of years ago and would love to replace them or have more in different colors to wear in the summer since I just don't wear shorts in public any more. I have searched stores and the internet til I'm blue in the face, and the brand and styles that worked so well for me are all made with Lycra now. It's very discouraging.
    They had lots of "cottony" capris at Kohl's when I was looking for jeans. I'd pick them up and find out they were not long pants. They had lots of colors, and they were natural waisted and some had drawstrings at the top. If I didn't have such skinny ankles, I would try to wear them. We can wear them at work if they are below the knee. I'm just not sure I would be comfortable in them. I'd rather just wear long skirts to work in the summer.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I have a couple of big, complicated summer shirts that absolutely require skinny pants or I will look like a balloon. I went to Loehmanns today and tried on about ten pairs, not the really skinny ones which would look ridiculous but just narrow-cut straight legs.

This included some incredibly high-end brands like Dolce & Gabbana. (Good ole' Loehmanns.) And Seven for All Mankind and J, two brands I know are trendy.

And you know what, I ended up with another pair of straight-leg NYDJs. Black, with a few sparkles on the back pockets but what the hell, these shirts/tunics are voluminous. Not only that, but the nice lady next to me who, uh, really did not look so good in the white pants she was considering, went out and got the same jeans in white, tried them on, practically cried in relief and bought them.

Just sayin.' They were only $60 at Loehmanns.

vCash
    Re: Gap jeans - I found a pair at the Goodwill that are my absolute favorites. They sit just below the waist when just below the waist really meant that. The boot cut is the regular boot cut, not the skinny jeans boot cut. Well constructed and of decent jean material. Sadly they do not make them any more. Since all jean makers seem to think that even the petite people of the world will wear 4 inch heels, it is very difficult to find them that fit, are just right length, and while slightly stretchy do not loose their elasticity when wearing them

I know that it is not popular to admit or even acknowledge that they exist, but after months of trying on jeans, I slunk into Christopher and Barnes one day and found a pair that I have gotten tons of compliments on. Even the fashion icon of Princess Leppard complimented me on them
    just don't let her know I told you

I hate jean buying.

vCash
    There are people who don't wear four inch heels?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizziebeth View Post
    Baggy cropped pants are truly scary, especially if you are a short person. But it is better than wearing shorts on a lot of people
    But if the cropped pants are the made for the regular size (over 5'4"), they are a great length for those of us under 5'4"

vCash
    Numbers123, are you saying the jeans were too long? If so, just buy them and hem them! Take it from someone who used to work for a major jeans manufacturer - Levi's, Gap, Old Navy, et al. design their jeans for 16 - 20 year old fit models, not real women. Yes, they cut some styles to sell to other demographics, but they don't put a lot of thought or effort into it. If you're not built like a fit model, you're going to have to get some alterations made, whether it's hemming, or taking in the waist to get rid of the gap, or whatever. Buy 'em on sale, fit the widest part of you, tailor the problem areas. If you try to find the perfect fit off the rack, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

ETA: Don't go by the numbers on the label. Try the jeans on. These manufacturers typically have a 1 inch allowance up or down, so a 30" waist might actually be a 29 or a 31. And if you're buying the Old Navy brand, turn the pants inside out and check if the the seams are straight.
    Last edited by Nomad; 06-07-2012 at 03:14 AM.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    jeans are not only too long, but too low, low, low rise and pockets on the curve of the butt. None of which look good on anyone and no amount of tailoring will help with that. If you have to do that much tailoring, you might just hire someone to make them for you.

And yes, I am saying that jeans and slacks in general are way too long for anyone except 6'1" women in 2 inch heels like my niece.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    jeans are not only too long, but too low, low, low rise and pockets on the curve of the butt. None of which look good on anyone and no amount of tailoring will help with that. If you have to do that much tailoring, you might just hire someone to make them for you.

And yes, I am saying that jeans and slacks in general are way too long for anyone except 6'1" women in 2 inch heels like my niece.
    Check out levi.com. The 512 at waist slimming boot cut jeans might be what you're looking for.

vCash
    I'm 5'2 and wear a size 4 and I hate wearing jeans. I have ONE pair and they're a cute pair of dark denim skinny jeans that I only wear in the winter when I have boots to tuck them into since I don't like the look of skinny jeans with flats or sandals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    There are people who don't wear four inch heels?

Of course this would come from you! You know, I just bought my very first 4" heel pumps last month and I luuuurve them! Actually comfortable enough that I was able to JOG in them to let the dog out in time.

Now back to jeans... if I wear them with heels, where is the hem supposed to be? I've always worn jeans with sneakers/flat sandals... does it matter?

vCash
    ^ The pants should be long enough to cover your instep.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I'm from the hippie generation that thought jeans had to drag on the floor to be cool. I remember my oldest aunt yelling at me because the dirty strings of my jeans bottoms were dragging on her pristine kitchen floor.

But yeah, leaving my old standards aside, if you wear jeans with heels they should be about a half inch up from the floor in the back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast