Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jeans Whine

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am not a woman but I also don't like jeans. I have 2 pairs. One is my go to pair that I wear when I go to dinner or in the winter when shorts just wont do. The other pair is a tighter pair that look a little dressier and not too casual. We have jeans day at the school I work at and at the program I am in this summer. I never participate. People always ask why and they are shocked when I tell them that I am infinitely more comfortable in my regular slacks than I am in jeans. I also hate getting my cell phone out of my pocket in my jeans, even the pair that isn't as tight fitting.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan1 View Post
    Hi. Little bitty Dayton, Ohio here. Where's the closest Nordstrom, Chicago???

And I've seen the NYDJ advertised, but I can't remember where? Macy's? We DO have one of those. I'll check. There's a new H&M about half an hour from here, maybe that was it?
    Macy's, Von Maur at The Greene, and Get Dressed in Oakwood carry them.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Macy's, Von Maur at The Greene, and Get Dressed in Oakwood carry them.
    Dillards in Cincinnati should also carry them.

vCash
    AG's are amazing. I love them. They come in so many flattering styles and cuts. They're expensive but you can usually find them on sale if you look and they last forever.

vCash
    For those of us with hips and thighs and small waists, Gap's curvy sizes are a good fit. The only line I have found that has cuts made for women who are small but curvy--since most size 4s and 6s, even 8s, are made with no room for hips. I've never bought the jeans (cause of $) but I have dress pants.

As for Levi's, they come in so many cuts and styles, it is a matter of finding the right one. I wear Levi's jeans, but only in one specific cut. You just have to try until you find the right one.

But for the love of all that is holy...if you are carrying weight in the hips or thighs, take a good long look at what tapered pants are doing to you--they point straight to that area and can make you look disproportionate. A straight leg or narrower boot cut is much more flattering.

vCash
    Replying to everybody this way cause I can never figure out how to reply to multiple posts in one:

Princess Leppard - I only wear flats, so no boot cut for me, huh?

MacMadame wrote: I get mine at Old Navy and I don't get stretch jeans. They have a bunch of different cuts and at least 3 of them fit me fine.

I actually went there Saturday, and all of the different cuts were stretch. I even asked the salesperson. She suggested I try Levi's (which they do not carry at Old Navy). So I went to JCP and tried on a few (no luck), and their brands, like St. John's Bay (no luck). Got too depressed - went home. I guess I am getting paid back for wondering for years why you always heard complaints about not being able to find jeans that fit, and having to try on an average of 30 pairs. While I was trying on a couple pairs of CK just to make sure they fit and wishing I could buy both colors.

Prancer - you live in this area, don't you? I checked for NYDJ at Macy's online - $110. I'll go try some on at the mall Saturday, hoping there is a big sale and a coupon in the paper, if they fit! I will also ask a salesperson what else they might have in natural waist, not stretch. I know not CKs though. They only show them in lower waist and stretch on the website.

KCC wrote: I used to wear nothing but Levi's. Then, I got older/weight shifted and their styles got younger, so I left them for other brands.

Exactly! Even though they had that horrid gap in the back that I could put my whole fist in. Then I saw an article in Glamour magazine (which tells you how much younger I was) about jeans for different body types. They said to make you look like you had hips, buy CK. I was scared to death of the price, but I tried them on, and that was it for me for the next 20 years. Over the years, I always bought them on sale in different washes, straight leg, tapered leg, slim, (one relaxed fit from the Goodwill store - like $3.50 - that had been shrunk enough that they weren't quite so "relaxed"), size 8's and 10's, depending...........until now.
    And - re the NYDJ, we used to have a Dillard's at the Towne Mall in Middletown. It went out of business a couple years ago. l liked that store. And I'm sure I bought CKs down there too!

luna_skater wrote: Boot cut" can mean a lot of different things depending on the brand. I have a few pairs of Wranglers that I ride horseback in,

That reminds me of something funny, when my cousin from Tucson came here for a visit she wore Wranglers because that's what everybody wore out there. We would never be caught dead in them here because they were the "cheap jeans" for farmers !!!!! ha ha ha So.........I went out there in my Levi's. You guessed it - "we wouldn't be caught dead in Levi's out here!".

PDilemma wrote: But for the love of all that is holy...if you are carrying weight in the hips or thighs, take a good long look at what tapered pants are doing to you--

That's how I feel about cropped pants. Unless you are tall and thin, you look like an ice cream cone from the back!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I think cropped pants should be outlawed. I don't know anyone who wears them who wouldn't look better in a pair of full-length.

I have one friend who is short and curvy and wears nothing but crops, making her look like she is shaped like a football. However she thinks she is a fashion maven and I'm not going to start a fight with her.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    I'm in my 50s and like the Bandolino brand stretch jeans from Macy's ("Mandie" style), which you can always get discounted with Macy's coupons for about $35-45. I love that they come in short lengths so that I don't have to hem them.

My daughter bought a pair of 7 For All Mankind (Dojo) jeans on sale at Nordstroms a couple of years ago, and they are the best denim fabric we've ever bought. They always look new and are very heavy quality fabric.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan1 View Post
    MacMadame wrote: I get mine at Old Navy and I don't get stretch jeans. They have a bunch of different cuts and at least 3 of them fit me fine.

I actually went there Saturday, and all of the different cuts were stretch. I even asked the salesperson. She suggested I try Levi's (which they do not carry at Old Navy). So I went to JCP and tried on a few (no luck), and their brands, like St. John's Bay (no luck).
    Really? Because they don't fit me like they are stretch pants/jeans. I never would have known.

Before I stop shopping at JCPenney's I only wore Lee brand jeans, which they sold then. Do they still?

Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    I think cropped pants should be outlawed. I don't know anyone who wears them who wouldn't look better in a pair of full-length.
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    However she thinks she is a fashion maven and I'm not going to start a fight with her.
    Even though she's wrong.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I really like Gloria Vanderbilt jeans. They're on sale at Kohl's right now!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by myhoneyhoney View Post
    I really like Gloria Vanderbilt jeans. They're on sale at Kohl's right now!

I tried on the Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda jeans. They were really cute, a light wash with little sparkly things on the back pockets. But they were too stretchy too. Made my thighs look twice as big.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Really? Because they don't fit me like they are stretch pants/jeans. I never would have known.
    If you are still talking about the Old Navy jeans? They all said stretch and or mid/low rise -- curvy, flirty, boyfriend, etc. I should know better than to go in there. The only thing I've ever bought was a t-shirt I saw from the window and it was so skimpy I had to buy an extra large.

All - Funny, if you go to the online comments under each ON jean, besides the "I ordered these online and they don't fit" (to which I would say "big fat hairy duh"), the other negative comments are that they stretch out and practically fall off after about 15 minutes/2 hrs., whatever, or that they are too low waisted for the "mature" female. Which brings me back to my original problem - why are ALMOST all jeans low waisted and/or stretchy if they are so unflattering to most of the female population?????????? Keep those for the teenagers and Hollywood people. Bring back jeans that fit normal adult women.

(I just remembered - whose post was about the little pockets? Maybe it is because the waist is so much lower on jeans that they can't put normal size pockets in them?)

And I noticed something else on the website, besides Old Navy, there are buttons for Gap and Banana Republic too. And a couple other stores I've never heard of. So, I'm guessing it wouldn't do any good to go to those stores because they would have the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Before I stop shopping at JCPenney's I only wore Lee brand jeans, which they sold then. Do they still?
    They sell them everywhere I have been looking for jeans (Kohl's, JCP, Kmart, etc.). They are the ones I bought at Kohl's that fit in the dressing room, but stretch out when I sit and stay that way when I stand up. Unfortunately, the waist feels great.

vCash
    I actually own one pair of stretchy skinny jeans, but I find that the only way that they look good is with a really long top. The bottom hem of some tops falls at a point that only accentuates the hips/thighs - not attractive!!

I like jeans, but other than the one pair of skinnies, I haven't bought a pair since 2008. The last pair I bought are Tommy Hilfiger and I don't think they're strtetchy at all. They're super comfy and I'm really dreading the day that I wear them out completely. It's one of those situations where I wish I had bought several pair, but a lot of times you can't really tell about jeans until you wear them for several hours or a day.

vCash
    Susan1--Gap and BR are each a level more upscale than ON.

Have you looked at NY & CO? My mother lives in their jeans. Lots of trouser jeans there and they are not tight in the hips and thighs and are not stretch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    For those of us with hips and thighs and small waists, Gap's curvy sizes are a good fit. The only line I have found that has cuts made for women who are small but curvy--since most size 4s and 6s, even 8s, are made with no room for hips. I've never bought the jeans (cause of $) but I have dress pants.
    I have bought one of those GAP curvy jeans. I have a tiny waist but my hips and thighs are not insubstantial. Apart from the sticker shock (most money I've ever spent on jeans, and totally regretted it) I don't find them to be very good quality. They got a hole in them just through regular wear and tear within 2 months, something that's never happened to me before. Also they fit perfectly in the dressing room, but within 2 weeks, they are falling off my butt even when zipped up. I know most jeans sag and get a little bigger as you wear them but never seen a pair do it to this extent. Now the pair I bought looks a size bigger than me even though I haven't lost weight.

To the OP, both DKNY (you can find them at Macy's) and American Eagle make very good, non stretchy jeans. Look for 100% cotton on the label.

vCash
    Yesterday I went to Target and tried on 10 pairs of jeans, in different styles and sizes. I walked away with 2 I'm fairly happy about. One pair was $25, the other $30. I feel like this is too much for Target jeans, but they look nice on me, and my last pair of Target jeans lasted me a long time (two pairs ago, I guess technically the last pair I ended up hating.)

Now to hem them. The short are about 3 inches too long, the regular, even longer. (They have tall too...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    I have bought one of those GAP curvy jeans. I have a tiny waist but my hips and thighs are not insubstantial. Apart from the sticker shock (most money I've ever spent on jeans, and totally regretted it) I don't find them to be very good quality. They got a hole in them just through regular wear and tear within 2 months, something that's never happened to me before. Also they fit perfectly in the dressing room, but within 2 weeks, they are falling off my butt even when zipped up. I know most jeans sag and get a little bigger as you wear them but never seen a pair do it to this extent. Now the pair I bought looks a size bigger than me even though I haven't lost weight.
    I've had two pairs of the Gap Curvy jeans. You have to buy them at least one size down, which the staff told me. I did so and they fit perfectly after I "broke them in" wearing them around the house a bit. Mine each last at least a couple of years before fading or tearing. One of my favourite go-to jeans brands.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    American Eagle make very good, non stretchy jeans.
    About two years ago, a co-worker/friend and I went into American Eagle at a local mall. She was looking for some shorts. She was 25 at the time. I am older than that, but I look younger than I am.

She flipped through some shorts on a rack and said to me "I kind of want something longer". A lovely young sales clerk (probably only 2 or 3 years younger than my friend) was very close to us and turned and said, "We really don't have anything for older people like you."

My friend told her that if that's how the store feels, we won't bother ever purchasing anything there. And I won't.

vCash
    ^^^
    UGH!

vCash
    I cannot wear jeans or any other kind of trousers with stretch. I know they're supposed to be more comfortable, figure-flattering, etc., but for me they're just the opposite. I have several well-fitting pairs of capris I purchased a couple of years ago and would love to replace them or have more in different colors to wear in the summer since I just don't wear shorts in public any more. I have searched stores and the internet til I'm blue in the face, and the brand and styles that worked so well for me are all made with Lycra now. It's very discouraging.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast