Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeans Whine

vCash

Jeans Whine

Hi. I like to come here to vent! And to see if anybody else has the same problems or any solution. (This post is not for all you skinny 20 somethings!!!)

Am I the only person in the world who cannot wear stretch jeans? (Yeah, I know there are a lot of women who SHOULDN'T.) I am thin, but what weight I have gained over the years is in my thighs. It doesn't help that I don't have hips. I finally bought a new pair of summer jeans - Lee - that fit in the dressing room. The first time I stood up at work (we get to wear jeans on Friday), there was a big wrinkle across the front of both legs that did not go away when I stood up. And when I sat down again, the area between my hip bones was all bunchy. So they stretch out and don't stretch back?

I can't wear mid-rise jeans because I am high waisted (and remember, no hips). I tried on a pair yesterday, and they fit in most places, but they were so stretchy and below my stomach, I could slide them them off without unbuttoning them (not zipped). I cannot wear jeans that would show my navel. Geez.

I've spent the last 25 years wearing straight or tapered leg, natural waist, Calvin Kleins. I've probably had 10 pairs. I have three left that fit well enough. Why doesn't anybody make normal regular DENIM jeans anymore? (Not $300 designer ones, please!) Do I need to go to Kmart and buy baggy elastic waist jeans? Now that I am in my 50's, am I supposed to dress like it? Other 50 something's don't.

I used to be so thin, I would tuck sweaters in my jeans to keep them up. I would have given anything for the "skinny" jeans back then. Now I weight 20 lbs. more than I did back then and have an average body for my height. But jeans have changed in the opposite direction.

I bought two pairs (different washes). I haven't taken the tags off the second ones. I am going to have to take them back.

AARRGGHH.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    Four words -- Not Your Daughter's Jeans. They're pricier, but you can often find them on sale for under $100. They have stretch, but it's stretch that works. And they're not mid- or low-rise. Rather perfect for us 50-something types.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    I hate jeans. Haven't owned a pair in ten years. I'm a size 8 and they make me look fat and they are scratchy.

vCash
    ^^^ Hear, hear. I don't wear them either.

vCash
    I thought I was the only person in the world who doesn't wear jeans.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    Four words -- Not Your Daughter's Jeans. They're pricier, but you can often find them on sale for under $100. They have stretch, but it's stretch that works. And they're not mid- or low-rise. Rather perfect for us 50-something types.
    Second this. I have three pairs. They stretch out, they stretch back, they're comfortable and flattering especially in the dark blue bootcut style. I've picked up cheapies at Nordstrom Rack.

They run big, I'm a 10 in other jeans but an 8 in this brand.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    Third here! I wear nothing else, and you can find them on sale. I believe there are some other less expensive lines coming on now because NYDJs have become so popular. I know Nordstrom has them, and Nordstrom Rack has great prices....

I do hear you...to the max!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    I thought I was the only person in the world who doesn't wear jeans.
    Me too!! Haven't owned a pair for probably 15 years now.
    just my two cents...

vCash
    Could the "no jeans" people start their own thread? You aren't really helping the OP.

Susan, if you can find them on sale, AG jeans are really nice. Pricey at full price ($175-$215), but made in America with an environmentally safe process. They also don't take long to dry in the dryer, so that's nice as well. Not stretchy, and with a higher rise.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Susan, if you can find them on sale, AG jeans are really nice. Pricey at full price ($175-$215), but made in America with an environmentally safe process. They also don't take long to dry in the dryer, so that's nice as well. Not stretchy, and with a higher rise.
    Second for AG Jeans. Zappos has them on sale every once in a while, too.

Re the rise - they have different cuts, some with lower, some with higher rises. All the rise measurements are listed on their web site so you can find the style that works for you.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Could the "no jeans" people start their own thread? You aren't really helping the OP.
    From the OP: Hi. I like to come here to vent! And to see if anybody else has the same problems or any solution. (This post is not for all you skinny 20 somethings!!!)

I, for one do not wear jeans for the simple reason that I am not a "skinny 20 something", and they make me look fat (what Bonita said - but I'm a size 16 on the "bottom".) My pants of choice are those knit stretch pants with the flared bottoms from Lane Bryant (damn them for no longer carrying the Veranesi pants!).

vCash
    I have the same problem trying to find plain, smart black trousers for work. I'm a complete mix of sizes - normally a size 10 (UK) waist but about size 12 hips and my thighs need about a size 14 (skating and dancing muscle leftover plus now I've got fatter!) I have one pair of black trousers I bought the year I started work about ten years ago, but when they collapse I have none left. I've tried just about every pair I can find whenever I'm out shopping but have no luck. Short of trying to sew a pair myself (which would not be a pretty sight) I've ended up wearing dresses to work most of the time. I really wish trousers and jeans would come in differing variations of hip to waist ratios.

vCash
    I was just ranting about jeans today myself - but not your issue, though I agree that a ton of jeans are just not at all comfortable. I really hate that women's jeans have the world's most useless pockets. I don't always want to have to drag my purse around, but on most of my jeans, if I put anything in my pockets it's in serious danger of falling out the second I sit down. That's so stupid. Luckily I have one or two pairs where this isn't an issue, and will definitely be prioritizing jeans with pockets that are actually useful in the future, but I hate that jeans companies emphasize tight jeans with no pockets for women.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Third here! I wear nothing else, and you can find them on sale. I believe there are some other less expensive lines coming on now because NYDJs have become so popular. I know Nordstrom has them, and Nordstrom Rack has great prices....

I do hear you...to the max!
    Hi. Little bitty Dayton, Ohio here. Where's the closest Nordstrom, Chicago???

And I've seen the NYDJ advertised, but I can't remember where? Macy's? We DO have one of those. I'll check. There's a new H&M about half an hour from here, maybe that was it?

$100+ for jeans? I used to get $40 CKs always on sale at least down to $25-30. Lee's are $19.99 $100 they better fit like a glove (or my old jeans!) for the rest of my life!

I sure can't order them online. I've had on size 8's when I left the house and tried on 10's that were too tight and 8's that were too big - in the same brand in the same store.

I love jeans. I used to work in an office where we could wear jeans every day, which I pretty much did. Then one place for a couple years, no jeans at all. Now I'm back to Fridays and specially announced days only. And I guess it's back to the old Calvins. One pair is getting kind of thin and I'm too old to wear ripped jeans. ha ha

vCash
    I finally found jeans that fit me a few years ago. Having a higher thinner waist compare to larger hips there was nothing. But before that I didn't wear them for about 20 years. The brands I got were Australia - Corfu and Grabrielle Frantini. The Frantini's are fantastic.

If you are a curvy person, I found boot leg jeans work best. Skinny jeans which seem to be the fashion here at the moment just do not work for many people.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash

1. No problem with the no jeans people hijacking (ha) part of the thread. I do know people my age who don't wear them. And I've seen plenty of women who shouldn't!!!

2. Way pricey!

3. I've never put jeans in the dryer. They get too tight in the waist.

In another post - boot cut? I tried them before (back in the days of regular rise and real denim). They didn't look right because my legs are too thin, and then they make a big "chunk" around the ankles. :-) (I don't know.)

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I love jeans. I get mine at Old Navy and I don't get stretch jeans. They have a bunch of different cuts and at least 3 of them fit me fine. With all the different cuts they have, maybe one would fix you, Susan.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan1 View Post
    2. Way pricey!
    Well, they are paying an American worker a living wage. So that costs some money. And they are putting out a quality product.

3. I've never put jeans in the dryer. They get too tight in the waist.
    Then they probably air dry much faster than your regular jeans.

In another post - boot cut? I tried them before (back in the days of regular rise and real denim). They didn't look right because my legs are too thin, and then they make a big "chunk" around the ankles. :-) (I don't know.)
    I wear boot cut with heels and it looks amazing. I don't think they look as good with flats.

vCash
    "Boot cut" can mean a lot of different things depending on the brand. I have a few pairs of Wranglers that I ride horseback in, all boot cut, and each a different width at the bottom since they are all different styles. One pair just barely fits over my cowboy boots, and another is more like a moderate bell-bottom.

That said, "cowgirl" jeans are a good option for people who want a more "traditional" jean--style and type of denim. They're especially great if you have extra long legs. It's easy to find 36+ lengths. I bought a 38 last year (they were on sale and fit me well in the hips/waist) and had them hemmed since I usually wear a 34 leg.

vCash
    I used to wear nothing but Levi's. Then, I got older/weight shifted and their styles got younger, so I left them for other brands. Overall, I guess I don't have as much of a problem as many others here, but I've spent hours trying on everything a store has to offer because no two brands are sized or cut the same. Higher prices do not equal a better fit for me -- no correlation at all.

On a whim, one day I went into a Levi's outlet, and a guy there measured me every which way you can, and he brought out the perfect pair for my body. Now, I have 2 pairs of KUT ($20 at Macy's, on a clearance rack, incredibly comfortable for me), 2 pairs of Levi's ($30 on sale), and one of Calvin Klein (about $45, black and dressy) and one other pair, don't recall the brand (dark/dressy style, $30 on sale at Macy's). Just can't bring myself to pay more than $50 for jeans. Ya, I'm "thrifty". Then again, jeans here in Idaho (Wrangler country) are every day and every where clothes, and the belt buckles & boots are generally fancier than the pants.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast