View Poll Results: Are you a fan of Starwars or Startrek?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Starwars

21 19.81%
  • Startrek

42 39.62%
  • Both

31 29.25%
  • Neither

12 11.32%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    I'm trying to watch DS9 again. Never been able to get into it. Halfway done through season 1, it's alright, but I'm not hooked yet. Does it get a bit more engaging in season 2?
    Yes. DS9 is by far my favorite Star Trek series.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    Yes. DS9 is by far my favorite Star Trek series.
    I liked the Worf/Judzia Dax storyline.

Too bad DS9 and Voyager weren't made into movies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    I love them both. Plus the Stargate franchises!!!
    I even liked Babylon 5 but I would put either in this poll.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    I liked the Worf/Judzia Dax storyline.

Too bad DS9 and Voyager weren't made into movies.
    Yep. When it was on, I watched it irregularly, and stopped watching completely when

Spoiler

but I've recently been watching all of them on DVD and have just started season 7. Watching everyone

Spoiler

Roll Tide, y'all!

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I've never understood how I've always been obsessed with Star Trek but have never been able to get into Star Wars, even though I've tried.

Voyager is my favorite, followed by TNG. I really think Voyager is quite underrated. Seven of Nine and The Doctor have to be two of the best sci-fi characters ever. Janeway rocks and is a great female version of Kirk, which was refreshing after Picard and Sisko. Unfortunately we also have to deal with the 0-developed and zzzzzzzzz Harry Kim and Chakotay.

I loooove TNG but I feel like it's a bit too idealized, sanitized. Riker is such a little bitch, man up, marry Troi, and take your own command the fourth time it's offered to you. And don't even get me started on the freaking Crushers...

I'm trying to watch DS9 again. Never been able to get into it. Halfway done through season 1, it's alright, but I'm not hooked yet. Does it get a bit more engaging in season 2?
    This post is word for word my feelings about all these series. I have all of Voyager on VHS tapes, and I've got a request out for the series on DVD. Someday I'm going to try to watch DS9, but I've got a lot in my "to watch" queue.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    Neither, I'm not a sci-fi fan at all.
    Me neither. I've never seen any Star Trek or Star Wars so I have no opinion on which is better.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Trek all the way. DH & I are currently working our way through all the series via Netflix. We just started Voyager, and Enterprise is next. So far, TNG and DS9 are pretty much tied for my favorite. For TNG, I adore Picard and Data. For DS9, I like the continuous storyline.

It's too early yet to tell whether I'll like Voyager or not... but there is one little thing that bothers me a lot already. In TNG, it's mentioned a few times that the Captain almost NEVER leaves the ship to head-up away teams, and that that is standard protocol in Starfleet. But in the roughly 7 episodes I've seen of Voyager, Janeway leaves the ship every chance she gets, and no one questions it. Yeah, like I said, it's a little thing.

vCash
    Oh, I remember so well that first scene where we met Locutus of Borg. That was chilling when he told them, "Resistance is futile.... Number one." It was great stuff.

I liked all the Trek series and I even thought Enterprise got better as it went along. Voyager used to annoy me at times, because it seemed like TPTB were nervous making Janeway the captain, and so she had to be more of an expert than her own experts in so many fields. Loved the Doctor on Voyager, though, and especially the episode where he had a family of his own, and as the program played out and one of the family members (I forget which) was going to die, he ended it. One of the other characters scolded him about wimping out, basically, and he went back and "lived" out the experience. It was very well done, I thought.

But I think Picard and Spock were my two favorite characters in all of Trek. Patrick Stewart did some great work as Picard.

vCash
    I like them both, but the one I'm wicked into is Star Trek. It started with TNG... I also liked Enterprise and the new film.

I haven't seen much of either Voyager or DS-9, as I was living overseas in a country where they didn't air.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    I loved Star trek and the New Generation but I never got into Deep space 9 and any other Star Trek series. I liked the movies too.

I loved Starwars- all 6 episodes (#1 a bit less than others)

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    Definitely, but where it really gets engaging is when the Dominion War begins.

vCash
    "Trekkies" has been playing on either the IFC or Sundance Channel. I watched it recently and wondered what had become of all of the people featured in the documentary. I wondered if the dentist still has his office and uniforms all "Star Trek" all of the time. Odd but terribly inventive...and who am I to judge anyway? The "trekkies" seemed like a fairly happy bunch which is more than I can say for lots of people.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    This series definitely improves as it goes along. Most of season 1 suffered from what I call the "Gene Roddenberry cheeze effect" (TM). But then it recovered.

Even though Sisko is my least favourite Captain, DS9 is my favourite series of the franchise overall. Mostly because it's so, well, human: while the other series tackle social issues in an oblique, metaphorical way, but on DS9 they're part of everyday existance. Racism, classism, gender roles, socio-economic inequality, religious fundamentalism, consumerism & greed, and of course the effects of war are all part of the very fabric of the show.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the idealized, almost utopian world of TOS and TNG (and Picard is my favourite Captain, hands down) ... and Voyager was the best actual "trek" (odyssey) iykwim ... but DS9 is a masterpiece.

Star Wars ... I enjoyed. Just can't get too emotional about it.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    "Trekkies" has been playing on either the IFC or Sundance Channel. I watched it recently and wondered what had become of all of the people featured in the documentary. I wondered if the dentist still has his office and uniforms all "Star Trek" all of the time. Odd but terribly inventive...and who am I to judge anyway? The "trekkies" seemed like a fairly happy bunch which is more than I can say for lots of people.
    There was a sequel, Trekkies 2. I haven't seen that one (a friend told me it wasn't nearly as good), and the imdb description says it takes "a more international focus" ... but maybe it revisited some of the original folks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    Star Trek. I actually enjoyed all the series.

Couldn't vote for Star Wars b/c of the "prequels" 1, 2 and 3 were so abysmal. If they had stopped with 4, 5 and 6 I could have voted for both.
    This^

vCash
    The orig Star Wars and Next Gen.

But my biggest SciFi love is Dr Who.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post

Even though Sisko is my least favourite Captain, DS9 is my favourite series of the franchise overall. Mostly because it's so, well, human: while the other series tackle social issues in an oblique, metaphorical way, but on DS9 they're part of everyday existance. Racism, classism, gender roles, socio-economic inequality, religious fundamentalism, consumerism & greed, and of course the effects of war are all part of the very fabric of the show.
    Many trekkies claim DS9 is the best written of the 5 star trek series. And I agree if you watch the series as a whole.

Voyager was my personal favorite of the star trek series. It had more BORG than any of the series (I love the BORG storylines). Janeways tussles with the Queen BORG were outstanding. With season 3, Voyager changed for the better with the addition of Seven of Nine. Her re-intergration into human society after being taken as a child and tansformed into BORG made for some of the best episodes.

My favorite episode of Star trek:TNG was the last episode when Picard joined the crew at playing poker and said "I should have done this a long time ago" gave me goosebumps. Meaning, he should have spent this kind of time with his crew more often, even though as captain, he tried to keep a distance from personally interaction. "All Good Things Must Come To An End"

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    I watched the first airing of a "Star Trek" episode in 1966, and it was neither "The Cage" or "Where No Man Has Gone Before", but "The Man Trap". I have been a fan of every movie and series since, with the exception of "Enterprise", which I gave up on during the second season.

I had just graduated from college and was on a camping trip in Florida when I saw something when checking in on TV news regarding this blockbuster movie called "Star Wars" that had come out of nowhere breaking box office records. I managed to get to a mall theater in St. Augustine and saw it and walked out stunned.

Amazed by what is now known as Episode 4, liked and was frustrated by The Empire Strikes Back (middle of trilogy) and was pretty well satisfied by Return of the Jedi (despite the damn Ewoks).

MANY years later, watched Episode 1 only on video. It so annoyed me by its relative amatuerishness in story and acting compared to Eps 4 through 6, not that they were Shakespeare, that I have not to this day seen Episodes 2 or 3, and have no desire to ever watch them. Some of that is, no doubt, due to difference in interests between my early to mid-20's and my late 40's into 50's.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post

MANY years later, watched Episode 1 only on video. It so annoyed me by its relative amatuerishness in story and acting compared to Eps 4 through 6, not that they were Shakespeare, that I have not to this day seen Episodes 2 or 3, and have no desire to ever watch them. Some of that is, no doubt, due to difference in interests between my early to mid-20's and my late 40's into 50's.
    You really should see Episodes 2 and 3. They are much better than 1, particularly episode 3 is very good. The whole thing is tied together very well, so that 4,5 6 make sense. My only complaint is the reliance on special effects which sometimes overshadow the story of Anakin, Padme and Obi wan. We already know it's a tragedy, and yet it holds the audience's interest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast