Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    True, but that was a gang shooting and seemed at least to be "understandable" in a way. Not that it didn't hit the city hard, it did, but in a different manner than this. So far, this appears to be random w/no purpose at all. At least there was to the gunman in some twisted sad way, but to everyone else?

edited to add...I see Dragonlady posted w/new info before my posting. Thanks for that update!!

I still wouldn't be afraid to go downtown/to the Eaton's Centre, but I also am very aware of my surroundings too. This still hit too close to home so to speak.

I did hear there's to be a vigil at Dundas Square tonight starting at six. I hope that helps in the healing process.

vCash
    terrible =( so scary
    I hope that the injured are all ok- hard to come to terms with this all for them I am sure

vCash
    Yonge St. has always been a dividing line between the business core to the west, and a sketchier area to the east. That part of Yonge north of the Eaton Centre has been a seedy stretch for many years, but there has been redevelopment of the Yonge/Dundas corner and shops were also opened on the Eaton Centre exterior (facing Yonge between Dundas and Queen), all good things IMO.

What's also positive from my perspective is that whereas years ago I rarely ventured east of Yonge in the downtown core, now we have fantastic shops and restaurants on King East, and gentrification is spreading north to Adelaide, Richmond's showing signs of transition, etc. There are many new businesses and employers east of Yonge that are attracting a lot of positive foot traffic. Hopefully the businesses on Yonge north of Dundas will eventually improve as well. I think that in general, the area east of Yonge is improving, but yes, there still are many sketchy elements to the east of Yonge and on Yonge itself (as there've been for many years).

The downtown areas of Toronto are very vibrant, there is a lot of new commerce and diversity, the coolest restaurants and shops open in the parts of the city that are in transition (eg. Ossington, Parkdale). But it's definitely important to remain aware of one's surroundings, like in any major city. The important thing, IMO, is for people not be scared away by an unusual occurrence like this. Then the bad guys do win. (And there's no such thing as a perfectly safe place anyway.)

vCash
    The suspect turned himself in to police and has been arrested. There is a news conference at 2:00 p.m. today. They still haven't announced the name of the suspect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    True, but that was a gang shooting and seemed at least to be "understandable" in a way. Not that it didn't hit the city hard, it did, but in a different manner than this. So far, this appears to be random w/no purpose at all.
    Except that one of the people who was shot at apparently has gang connections.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    The police are now saying that two of the victims had gang connections and were targeted victims - Ahmed Hussain, the man who died, and the unnamed victim who has gunshot wounds to the neck and chest.

The rest of the victims were just random.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Latest describes what started as a "turf meeting" - thus perhaps the choice of a public place - that went bad.

I have to wonder about the thinking of the gunman - does he think he's so powerful or was he really so nervous and out of his element that he fired a gun multiple times and apparently without very good aim in a very public place with hundreds of witnesses and security cameras everywhere?

And will this very public incident serve as a warning to other gang members and thus save innocents from their disputes, or will others just tell themselves they aren't that stupid and won't get caught, and carry on as before?

It's all such a waste.

vCash
    I'm wondering if it might not lead to another police sweep of known gang members. There was one last year I think.

Sadly, Toronto has one of the lowest murder rates in decades last year but something like this will haunt the city for a long, long time, like the Jane Kreba shooting and the Vivi Lemonis shooting at Just Desserts in 1990.

vCash
    Glad they caught the gunman, and perhaps him turning himself in shows he has at least some intelligence. What on earth possessed him to shoot into a crow of innocent people?!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12