Thread: Love Never Dies

vCash

Love Never Dies

I saw it last night at the movies. It was one of those special showings of a Play. I really enjoyed the staging and the music. It was a staging of the Australian production. Nice interview with Webber preceded it.

It's the sequel to Phantom Of The Opera.

Did/has anyone else seen it? If so, what did you think?

vCash
    Haven't seen it, but everytime I see the title, I think it's the "Love Never Dies" episode of Ghost Whisperer from the second season premiere.

vCash
    LOL! The title always makes me think of a James Bond movie.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    LOL! The title always makes me think of a James Bond movie.
    Makes me think of a Nicholas Sparks novel.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Wasn't a great title choice, was it?

vCash
    All of my friends said it was like a spoof of AWL writing a sequel to Phantom. Except AWL thought it was serious.

(I didn't see it.)

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Especially as it lends itself to jibes like "Paint Never Dries." Then again they say the Australian production's the new revised version so it's supposed to be better...

(And I'm sorry, but 1001 Leroux's-in-the-public-domain-generated Phantom sequels in the world and they run with Forsythe's "The Phantom of Manhattan"?)

vCash
    I love the song "Till I Hear You Sing," but I'm still so frustrated that ALW took "Our Kind of Love" and turned it into this show's theme. It was such a great song. Now it's going to be impossible to do anything with "Our Kind of Love."

vCash
    I saw it in London a couple of years ago. The score is actually quite lovely in places, and the performances were pretty good (saw an understudy for the Phantom who was struggling a bit). The set design and production values were excellent, of course. The book is laughably, hideously bad. It feels like fan fiction written by a 13 year old with a crush on the Phantom -- he's just misunderstood, not evil! Raoul is a jerk who doesn't deserve Christine! etc. etc. etc. I laughed out loud more than once, and it wasn't supposed to be funny. At intermission I turned to my companion and said "I knew Andrew Lloyd Webber was nuts, but what's amazing to me is he got all these other people to go along with him."

vCash
    Money talks. ALW's richer than God. Too bad he's also nuttier than a fruitcake.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I have heard the revisions make the show at least watchable. However, the early version I saw in London was laughable. I remember some on here posting a link to the plot summary. I honestly thought it was a joke.

vCash
    Saw it in London, and felt it worked as a stand alone musical, but not as a sequel to Phantom. It's certainly one of his best scores for years, although the book is rather weak. Also watched half of the filmed Australian version before giving up - I muched perferred the London staging & the Australian Phantom was beyond wooden.

vCash
    I just saw this on PBS last night. What on earth was that?? Yes, the music was lovely, but there were parts that were definitely weird, and there was a ton of character assassination going on.

Spoiler

It seemed like the only character that stayed true to form was the Phantom himself. But it wasn't enough to save this turkey. I hated the ending, and overall I'm so glad I didn't buy the DVD when I had to chance, sight unseen.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC