View Poll Results: Who is the weakest link among these past ladies champions?

Voters
249. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lu Chen

9 3.61%
  • Michelle Kwan

3 1.20%
  • Tara Lipinski

47 18.88%
  • Maria Butyrskaya

43 17.27%
  • Irina Slutskaya

3 1.20%
  • Shizuka Arakawa

9 3.61%
  • Miki Ando

62 24.90%
  • Mao Asada

8 3.21%
  • Yuna Kim

4 1.61%
  • Carolina Kostner

61 24.50%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    ... What's with the sudden increase in votes for Tara Lipinski... She got like 2 votes on the first two rounds...
    I think in a lot of people's minds, there is a substantial gap between Meissner and Hughes on the one side and whoever the tenth-best skater in the original group might be. And, with a short career, questionable jumping technique, and "juniorish" presentation (to quote someone upthread), Lipinski is one of the obvious candidates for tenth place. (I still haven't decided yet, I'm going to watch some videos first.)

Someone remarked in previous threads that Arakawa hadn't gotten any votes as of that point. Rest assured, her turn is coming too.

vCash
    I sure wish there were any female skater today who could perform the triple loop/triple loop consistently and skate with such joy and confidence as Tara. In fact, skate consistently like Tara period. People are engaging in revisionist history here it seems. Tara had very good overall technique, good positions and a joyful presentation. But this is just a silly poll..so what does it matter?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnskater View Post
    I sure wish there were any female skater today who could perform the triple loop/triple loop consistently and skate with such joy and confidence as Tara. In fact, skate consistently like Tara period. People are engaging in revisionist history here it seems. Tara had very good overall technique, good positions and a joyful presentation. But this is just a silly poll..so what does it matter?
    As has been stated before I don't know if you could say that Tara had very good technique, with the mule kick and flutzing, tiny double axel, very whippy salchow, etc. I'm finding it difficult to vote for anyone at this point, but I think it's reasonable that certain people would find Maria (mature, elegant presentation) or Carolina (great artistry and superlative basic skating) more appealing than Tara. I, for one, always thought that Maria deserved second in the short at Nagano over Tara.

vCash
    I think in a lot of people's minds, there is a substantial gap between Meissner and Hughes on the one side and whoever the tenth-best skater in the original group might be. And, with a short career, questionable jumping technique, and "juniorish" presentation (to quote someone upthread), Lipinski is one of the obvious candidates for tenth place.
    Not in my mind. Not at all. I have Lipinski in the same category as Arakawa- they both won the World Championship and the Olympics. There are others who couldn't put it together when it counted at the Olys, or had to extend their careers until they were able to finally win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Not in my mind. Not at all. I have Lipinski in the same category as Arakawa- they both won the World Championship and the Olympics. There are others who couldn't put it together when it counted at the Olys, or had to extend their careers until they were able to finally win.
    But that's what makes it so interesting. There are so many different criteria one can use. In my mind, there are about six skaters on the list that I could choose this week.

Lipinski had a great competitive record and could rotate her jumps faster than just about anybody else, but what else does she bring to the table here?

vCash
    I voted for Carolina Kostner, but it wasn't an obvious decision. I like her a lot as a skater, especially with her latest programs, more than, say, Tara. But this is a champions' poll and I don't think Carolina will be remembered as a great champion. A great skater, yes.

vCash
    Wow, I did vote for Tara but I never really thought she would be leading this round.. Reliefed for Miki so far

vCash
    I voted for Tara. I actually think her performance was so joyful, but her jumps were so thin, and there is no way she is over a mature skater. To have a fluz is worse than decide not to go for it, and we all know Carolina has great Luzes, but after she had to be careful with this jump due to injury, she may need some more time to put it back in her programs

vCash
    Miki Ando, without any doubt.
    Good skater, but that's it. Nothing amazing. She is just a jumper, and even her jumps have flaws !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

Lipinski had a great competitive record and could rotate her jumps faster than just about anybody else, but what else does she bring to the table here?
    Speed, enthusiasm, difficulty, line, skating skills...

If this is truly a "SURVIVOR" type competition then there's no way a ferocious competitor like Lipinski would disappear so soon. Not many of the ladies on this list have a killer instinct like she did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post

If this is truly a "SURVIVOR" type competition then there's no way a ferocious competitor like Lipinski would disappear so soon. Not many of the ladies on this list have a killer instinct like she did.
    I agree.
    The passion she had for her sport was spectacular on the ice. The joy she can share with the audience is rare.
    I'm not fond of her skating, but it's always a pleasure to watch her.

vCash

ITA, even though I was not a huge fan of hers. I always admired her competitiveness, her ability to land difficult jump combinations, particularly THE most difficult one when she was skating.

vCash
    How do we define consistent? Kostner's not consistent, but she won more competitions this year than Tara did in any given season.

I voted for Ando. A couple programs notwithstanding, she just doesn't interest me much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    How do we define consistent? Kostner's not consistent, but she won more competitions this year than Tara did in any given season.
    Kostner is pretty consistent in that I've never seen her skate a long program full out and land every jump that she had planned cleanly-- and she's been senior for nearly 10 years. That, to me, does not signify someone who would do well in a survival of the fittest type challenge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post

I voted for Ando. A couple programs notwithstanding, she just doesn't interest me much.
    If you take out the last two years from Kostner's career, calling her more consistent than Tara is laughable. Carolina had so many truly meltdown performances over the years that it was doubtful she would ever win a world championship. Finally after the top skaters were a no-show she was able to put together some wins. She improve her overall skating in the process, and without the difficult jumps her jumps consistency also improved.

I give her credit for her persistence, but Tara performed consistently well even when she lost a competition, and was beaten by superior skaters like Kwan. The most important thing is Tara delivered when it counted, at USN 97, worlds 97, and the 98 Olympics. Her only bad performance came in at the 96 worlds SP, and she fought back with a great LP, with a 3S3R combination in it.

You cannot really compare a skater whose career spanned 3 seasons and one whose career spanned 8-10(?) years, by looking at one season that you cherry picked.

vCash
    Kostner is pretty consistent in that I've never seen her skate a long program full out and land every jump that she had planned cleanly-- and she's been senior for nearly 10 years. That, to me, does not signify someone who would do well in a survival of the fittest type challenge.
    Nah, Lori Nichol would COP Ninja her to a win in any contest.

vCash
    I picked Kostner, she won her WC in the weakest field ever, I mean Leonova was the silver medalist behind her :runs: . She landed only 1 toe jump (a 3flip) over the entire course of the competition, you'd have to go back to Jill Trenary to find less jump content.

Kostner has also spent more time with her butt on the ice than the other 10 contestants combined.

I certainly wouldn't have Tara leading the list at this point. I was always rooting for Michelle, but I thought Tara was a terrific little phenom of a skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    I picked Kostner, she won her WC in the weakest field ever, I mean Leonova was the silver medalist behind her :runs: . She landed only 1 toe jump (a 3flip) over the entire course of the competition, you'd have to go back to Jill Trenary to find less jump content.
    I agree with your sentiment, but Kostner landed 3 triple toes in that competition.

vCash
    I too voted for Caro, not because it was the weakest comp, but because it was the most ZZZZzzzz. Love her or hate her or alternate between the two at will, I remember every second of Tara's skating: the costumes, the music, the jump layouts, even the spins and how well she did or didn't do them. Thank God no one is pointing a gun at my head, because I couldn't tell you one single thing about Caro's wc skates. Did she wear a cat suit, or a skirt? I forget. Was it black or red? Beats me. What was the music? Something classical I think, but don't ask me what. I think she might have done a 3t/3t and 3r in the sp, but I'm not really sure. The Lp, forget it. Im sure there were jumps but I have no memory of how many or which ones.

vCash
    I had to vote for Kostner.

Some of the weaker skaters on this list are Lipinski, Ando and Maria (even tho she's a fav of mine).

Lipinski is a phenom type of skater, how many can do a 3R-3R? Not many. Sure she flutzed but most skaters have jump issues even Kwan did. Lipinski rose to the top very quickly so I can't vote Lipinski off just yet.

Ando won worlds twice and was a very strong jumper. She has a lot of power. So couldn't vote her off yet.

Maria had good technique on the lutz, and made multiple olympics while competiting for very competitive Russia.

Caro just had to be voted off considering she skates for Italy which isn't very competitive and it took a long time for her to get her world title and only did so with minimal jump content. Beautiful program tho.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast