View Poll Results: Who is the weakest link among these past ladies champions?

Voters
249. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lu Chen

9 3.61%
  • Michelle Kwan

3 1.20%
  • Tara Lipinski

47 18.88%
  • Maria Butyrskaya

43 17.27%
  • Irina Slutskaya

3 1.20%
  • Shizuka Arakawa

9 3.61%
  • Miki Ando

62 24.90%
  • Mao Asada

8 3.21%
  • Yuna Kim

4 1.61%
  • Carolina Kostner

61 24.50%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Ladies ROUND 3

Thanks again for voting folks and this time we had another landslide result to find out the next skater leave the figure skating island is ....

11th place: SARAH HUGHES (53.06% of votes)

The remaining contenders are:

01. Lu Chen - CHN - 1995 World Champion.
    02. Michelle Kwan - USA - 1996,1998,2000,2001 and 2003 World Champion.
    03. Tara Lipinski - USA - 1997 World and 1998 Olympic Champion.
    04. Maria Butyrskaya - RUS - 1999 World Champion.
    05. Irina Slutskaya - RUS - 2002 and 2005 World Champion.
    06. Shizuka Arakawa - JPN - 2004 World and 2006 Olympic Champion.
    07. Miki Ando - JPN - 2007 and 2011 World Champion.
    08. Mao Asada - JPN - 2008 and 2010 World Champion.
    09. Yuna Kim - KOR - 2009 World and 2010 Olympic Champion.
    10. Carolina Kostner - ITA - 2012 World Champion.

Already eliminated:
    12th place - Kimmie Meissner (50.26% votes)

Now it starts to get interesting, so vote and share who deserves to go next .

vCash
    My Vote goes to Tara Lipinski. She was such a flash in the pan and even though she won it all, she was still juniorish when she retired. Maria may be less memorable but I prefer her skating and Ive always had soft spot for Miki

vCash
    Voted for lipinski because I like her style the least. I felt like it was pretty immature. Probably because she was young, but still.

vCash
    Now it's getting interesting, with no single obvious 'winner'.

I voted for Carolina. Not that I dislike her; actually I have enjoyed watching her skate last two years, but she won worlds in the weakest field, where she did not even need a 3lutz. Her closest competitors on this poll are Maria B. and Miki Ando. Maria beat Michelle Kwan to win her world title. Miki beat Yu na Kim for her second world title. I am surprised to see Tara get so many votes.

vCash
    I think that even though Tara wasn't the most polished skater, she did win pretty much everything she could with an extremely strong field.

vCash
    Tara may have been in and out pretty quickly but I do admire her for basically introducing the 3Lo-ending combos to the ladies' field. Had any lady done a combination ending in 3Lo before her?

vCash
    I voted for Shizuka as a "one number" champion ... because she only did well skating to "Turandot", but skating to other pieces of music seems to have triggered some kind of curse or something, as she didn't do well.

vCash
    I voted for Kostner. Love her skating and her programs this year were sublime but her championship was against, like, the weakest ladies field in 20 years. Two of her other world medals (silver, bronze in 2011) were quite questionable and even if you don't agree, you've gotta admit she has benefitted somewhat from being the top Euro woman since Slutskaya.

As much as I want Butyrskaya to make the cut, I couldn't vote for the current votes "leader", Lipinski, yet! She should not be in the and company as Meissner or Hughes.

vCash
    Voted for Kostner last round- she gets my vote again here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StutzBearcat View Post
    Tara may have been in and out pretty quickly but I do admire her for basically introducing the 3Lo-ending combos to the ladies' field. Had any lady done a combination ending in 3Lo before her?
    Midori Ito back in the 80s did 2Lo-3Lo in her SPs pretty often.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flipforsynchro View Post
    I think that even though Tara wasn't the most polished skater, she did win pretty much everything she could with an extremely strong field.
    I actually think Tara was an extremely polished skater. She had nice posture and her positions were above average. She didn't have the emotional depth of a Michelle Kwan in terms of performance, but I don't think any of the ladies on this list had that, save maybe Lu Chen (JMHO).

I think Ando or Kostner should be the next to go. Ando had consistency but never really showcased an understanding of music or choreography and Kostner didn't have the killer instinct in the big competitions (including her win this year).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Midori Ito back in the 80s did 2Lo-3Lo in her SPs pretty often.
    Midori was many years ahead of her time.

vCash
    Going for Kostner, fast as the dickens but never did anything for me.

To defend other likely candidates

Ando : C'mon, she's the only real diva in the last few years. Skating is .... but I love her bigger than life emotions and that she's not into the stoicism her countrymen are so fond of.

Butyrskaya : Thou shalt not vote for the goddess. That is all.

vCash
    Tara skates too junior for me. and I never saw much behind her spins and skating skills. Her flutz was pretty bad and underrotated her supposed great -3Lo combos. She has the spunk, but too many bad qualities.

Both Ando have inherent artistry, strong jumping skills, and good skating skills. That's why I would vote Lipinski before Ando and Kostner.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    I don't think Lipinski would have as many votes had she not beaten Michelle at the Olympics. If Kwan had never existed, Lipinski would be celebrated as a fine and outstanding skater, and her one or two flaws would be forgotten.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Apart from the flutz, which was very obvious, Tara had very strange technique on her jumps. The double axel in particular was very odd looking and non of her jump element had a wow factor, even her triple-triple. Don't get me wrong, Tara was a teen phenom and a jumping bean, but she was only that. She skated with tremendous joy and speed but very juniorish (a la Kanako).
    That's why I voted for her, the other skaters demonstrated a level of maturity that Tara never developed (at least in her amateur days)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    Apart from the flutz, which was very obvious, Tara had very strange technique on her jumps. The double axel in particular was very odd looking
    I think her roller background is the reason for that. Some of her jumps were said to be very rollery (by people who can spot that kind of thing - I don't know enough about roller free skating to say, I only follow rollers for figures and solo dance)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    I think her roller background is the reason for that. Some of her jumps were said to be very rollery (by people who can spot that kind of thing - I don't know enough about roller free skating to say, I only follow rollers for figures and solo dance)
    I think it was mainly her axel and the way that she got basically no height on it compared to the distance she got.

vCash
    ... What's with the sudden increase in votes for Tara Lipinski... She got like 2 votes on the first two rounds...

vCash
    Picking off Kwan's biggest rivals, I see how it is...

In that case Slutskaya better watch her back next round...

classic Survivor style FSU popularity contest, really.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast