Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    They test the first place athlete(s) and then a random one. Sometimes, if the first place is a team, (sticking with skating here) only one of the pair/dance team has to be tested.
    I thought is was top three + random.

Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    They also have to provide a loose schedule - where training, where living, etc. They can be randomly tested any time, without warning, in season.
    I would not call it loose. From what I was told by a friend who has connection to athletes you have to provide enough details for the WADA officials to be able to reach you within 24 hours or else. Of course W in WADA stands for 'world', so I assume that if a Russian athlete submits paperwork saying he is going to Guatemala for holidays they would then ask the Guatemalan branch to contact him, but (combined with the fact that the schedule has to be submitted well in advance and kept up to date) it sounds like criminals on parole have easier lives than athletes competing in Olympic sports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anya View Post
    I thought is was top three + random.
    I think at Championships it is top four plus one random. There is a draw done before for which placement will be the random skater. In a couple, one partner is drawn and tested. For the Grand Prix events it is the winner and the random, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Anya View Post
    I would not call it loose. From what I was told by a friend who has connection to athletes you have to provide enough details for the WADA officials to be able to reach you within 24 hours or else. Of course W in WADA stands for 'world', so I assume that if a Russian athlete submits paperwork saying he is going to Guatemala for holidays they would then ask the Guatemalan branch to contact him, but (combined with the fact that the schedule has to be submitted well in advance and kept up to date) it sounds like criminals on parole have easier lives than athletes competing in Olympic sports.
    This is correct. If the skater forgets to update his whereabouts and the tester shows up and doesn't find him, this counts as a "failed" test. The same goes if the skater cannot be reached on the phone. I know of a skater who was travelling in a tunnel just the moment the tester called and there was fuss about it because he couldn't be reached.

vCash
    It is loose in the sense that you can't possibly account for every minute for an entire 4 months. You give them the information you have. Where you are living, where you are training, going to school, any expected travel plans. But, they do not expect you to let them know if you are taking a day off and going to the mall. And you do not have to notify anyone if you decide to go away for a weekend. They have your and your coaches phone numbers and can contact you and/or your coaches. You have 24 hours to produce the required, witnessed, urine.

At competitions, the sample is collected right after the results. And you can't leave the rink until it is provided. Many a skater has hung out for a very long time, waiting to have to go.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234