Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 161 to 180 of 180

Thread: Flagbearers

  1. #161
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,945
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    From BBC Sports -

    The first of Ainslie's five Olympic medals - the most of any sailor - was a silver in the Laser class at Atlanta 1996, claimed when he was just 19.

    He then won golds at Sydney 2000, Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008, all in the Finn discipline, before adding a fourth in Weymouth to overhaul Dane Paul Elvstrom's record of four golds in consecutive Games.

    Ainslie has said he is unlikely to compete at the 2016 Olympics in Rio.
    Four golds and a silver - pretty cool. Too bad we don't know more about him. Maybe now we will.

  2. #162
    Failing her snatch
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    The Isles Of Wonder :P
    Age
    42
    Posts
    16,439
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    5708
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    From BBC Sports -



    Four golds and a silver - pretty cool. Too bad we don't know more about him. Maybe now we will.


    He's also so Im good with the decision
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

  3. #163
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London, Englandia.
    Age
    21
    Posts
    12,275
    vCash
    581
    Rep Power
    0
    Each to their own

  4. #164

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,378
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Neta Rivkin (rhythmic gymnastics) will be the Israeli flagbearer in the closing ceremony. I'm not really sure how many other Israeli Olympians are still in London, to be honest, but she deserves the honor.

  5. #165

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,889
    vCash
    1670
    Rep Power
    3283
    India : Mary Kom, i couldn't be more happy for her. That olympic medal make her hero for women's sport, as well as for North Eastern athletes in India

  6. #166
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,462
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Neta Rivkin (rhythmic gymnastics) will be the Israeli flagbearer in the closing ceremony. I'm not really sure how many other Israeli Olympians are still in London, to be honest, but she deserves the honor.
    Good for Neta

    I will be shocked if Russia will not choose their Queen Kanaeva to be their flag bearer tomorrow

  7. #167
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Age
    21
    Posts
    14,081
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Portugal: Fernando Pimenta (silver medal in canoeing).

  8. #168
    Vacant
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Here and there
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,742
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5719
    Re: Ainslie for GB. I totally get this decision. He is the most successful Olympic GB sailor in history, has constantly delivered for his nation and after winning his 4th gold medal he is about to retire. I'm totally fine with the decision and find this a very fitting tribute.

  9. #169
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,717
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    India : Mary Kom, i couldn't be more happy for her. That olympic medal make her hero for women's sport, as well as for North Eastern athletes in India
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    Portugal: Fernando Pimenta (silver medal in canoeing).
    Thanks for posting these! Both good choices!

  10. #170
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    cheering for W&P and P&I
    Posts
    277
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Italy: Daniele Molmenti (Gold in canoeing)

  11. #171
    Tranquillo
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    behind the gruppetto
    Posts
    24,623
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16667
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Neta Rivkin (rhythmic gymnastics) will be the Israeli flagbearer in the closing ceremony. I'm not really sure how many other Israeli Olympians are still in London, to be honest, but she deserves the honor.
    I realize it would be disrespectful with a flag, but I can't help thinking it would be fun to have a rhythmic gymnast flagbearer toss the flag in the air, twirl around in a bielmann and catch the flag all while marching, and then twirl the flag like the ribbon apparatus .
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

  12. #172
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    107
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Considering Canada only won 1 gold, I think it would probably be Rosie. She had a great story too. But I am fine with Sinclair. This is the last Olympics for a number of athletes (who won medals) so I am not sure it would be Despatie.

  13. #173
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,717
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I realize it would be disrespectful with a flag, but I can't help thinking it would be fun to have a rhythmic gymnast flagbearer toss the flag in the air, twirl around in a bielmann and catch the flag all while marching, and then twirl the flag like the ribbon apparatus .

  14. #174
    Kostner Softie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,532
    vCash
    467077
    Rep Power
    1318
    Quote Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
    Considering Canada only won 1 gold, I think it would probably be Rosie. She had a great story too. But I am fine with Sinclair. This is the last Olympics for a number of athletes (who won medals) so I am not sure it would be Despatie.
    How about Emilie Heymans? First female Diver and First Canadian to win medals at 4 consecutive Olympics

  15. #175

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Age
    30
    Posts
    603
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Just announced, it will be Christine Sinclair for Canada

  16. #176

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,378
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I realize it would be disrespectful with a flag, but I can't help thinking it would be fun to have a rhythmic gymnast flagbearer toss the flag in the air, twirl around in a bielmann and catch the flag all while marching, and then twirl the flag like the ribbon apparatus .
    Well, Stephane Lambiel did do some kind of spin-like stuff when he was flagbearer in Vancouver.

  17. #177

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,761
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    15381
    I eat my own words...

    Malcolm Page is going to be Australia's flagbearer!

    He is one of our sailors from the 470 class (I think). He is "supposed" to be retiring after this Games. What a great choice!

  18. #178
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Samara, Russia
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,100
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    Good for Neta

    I will be shocked if Russia will not choose their Queen Kanaeva to be their flag bearer tomorrow
    For Russia this will be Anastasia Davydova - the only 5-time OGM in synchronized swimming in the world. Not a bad alternative to Evgenia

  19. #179
    Tranquillo
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    behind the gruppetto
    Posts
    24,623
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16667
    Tweet from Oscar Pistorius:

    Really feel honoured to be chosen to carry the SA flag in the closing ceremony tonight! What a great ending to the games it'll be!
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

  20. #180
    Resident Rude Brazilian
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Nobunari Oda School of Arithmetics
    Posts
    3,025
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7276
    Brazil will have boxer Esquiva Falcão (silver medallist) as the flagbearer.
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •