Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flagbearers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I'm not a fan, to put it mildly, as some of the folk in the tennis thread will tell you But I don't know about Danish athletes enough to know who is a good candidate. But Caroline IMO has been playing pretty terribly for the past year or so.

I read an article that Agnieszka Radwanska is being considered as a flagbearer for Poland.
    I hope Dane's decide to take some Badminton player as the flagbearer, they are really good at this (for a non-asian country).

India - 99.99% chance it is going to Abinav Bhindra (first individual gold medalist for India). If he is not, i am sure Indian medal will make it a HUGE issue.

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    If Clara Hughes is chosen for the Cycling team, and considering her results the last two years I can't see why not, she just might become the first ever Canadian to lead in Team Canada in two straight, but different, Olympic Games. She was the Flag Bearer who led in Team Canada in Vancouver and after her races at the Richmond Oval, decided she still had unfinished business on the Cycling side of things, so got back on the bike determined to be in London.

Not sure if the COC would want to do that, but it's something I could see happening.

Personally, I'd love to see Captain Canada, Ian Miller, lead the Team in. He's had a legendary career and I have a funny feeling this very well could be his last Games. If so, what better tribute for him.
    With everything that Clara has done both in winter and summer olympics (speed skating and cycling) and in communities across Canada (mental health awareness) I think she should be our flag bearer.. This will also be her last games apparently..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    With everything that Clara has done both in winter and summer olympics (speed skating and cycling) and in communities across Canada (mental health awareness) I think she should be our flag bearer.. This will also be her last games apparently..
    Not to mention the work she does internationally w/Right To Play. When she was selected to be awarded w/the Order of Canada earlier this year, it was one of the least surprising nominations announced over the last few years. At least IMO.

As I said, I have no problem w/Clara being selected and for all of the reasons you said. I'm just not sure the COC would do it due to the fact of her being the Flag Bearer in Vancouver and what the public opinion could be. I can easily see those nitwits who are only sports fans once every four years screaming "unfairness and bias" just because of that sadly.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Rafael Nadal for Spain - They mention he was chosen today, even though we have him confirmed earlier in the thread. Maybe this makes it "official"
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Ugh. I hope 2018 doesn't see Golfers get chosen for flagbearers.

vCash
    so how any tennis players flag bearers ?

Russia - Sharapova - check
    Spain - Nadal - check
    Serbia - Djokovic - check

Poland - Radwanska - maybe ?
    Belarus - Azarenka - maybe ?

vCash
    Chatter going around that Cadel Evans will be Australia's bearer.

Pretty good choice IMO. Would have been happy with Sally Pearson or Matthew Mitcham, too.

vCash
    No tennis playing flagbearer for us! I think I read somewhere that Lee Korzits will be the Israeli flagbearer. It's not as though there are that many choices, but she's a good pick.

vCash
    Luciana Aymar (field hockey) will be the flag bearer for Argentina. She is part of the team that has medaled in the past 3 Olympics and has been named field hockey player of the year a record 7 times.

Maria Espinoza (tae kwon do) will be Mexico's. She's the defending Olympic champion in Women's +67kg

vCash
    Don't agree with all these superstar tennis players being flag bearers but whatever.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    What's so wrong about it? Nadal, Djokovic and Sharapova are all hall of famers already, and Nadal and Djokovic are defending Olympic medalists. You can say anything you want about Sharapova but could've easily retired after her injury and lived off her millions but came back... And it a hard road for her, took tons of work and dedication and love of her sport. I'd never been a fan but that won me over

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Don't agree with all these superstar tennis players being flag bearers but whatever.
    Oh get over yourself.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    No tennis playing flagbearer for us! I think I read somewhere that Lee Korzits will be the Israeli flagbearer. It's not as though there are that many choices, but she's a good pick.
    Change of plans, I guess: Israel's flagbearer will be a windsurfer, but it'll be Shahar Tzuberi rather than Korzits. Tzuberi was Israel's only medalist in Beijing, so I guess it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    What's so wrong about it? Nadal, Djokovic and Sharapova are all hall of famers already, and Nadal and Djokovic are defending Olympic medalists. You can say anything you want about Sharapova but could've easily retired after her injury and lived off her millions but came back... And it a hard road for her, took tons of work and dedication and love of her sport. I'd never been a fan but that won me over
    I don't know, I think a flagbearer should be someone who's done really well at the Olympics, or someone who as an athlete is primarily identified with the Olympics. Certainly that applies to some tennis superstars, but it's also nice to see athletes who aren't as high profile get the honor.

vCash
    I think it's great that tennis players are taking the Olympics so seriously after years of the Olympics being a second tier tournament for many. For some of the countries, their tennis players are some of their most accomplished athletes ever.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Wonder if the U.S. will choose their flagbearer to nark off their hosts like they did in Beijing? Maybe someone with perfect teeth.

To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    CBC Sports ~ Scott Russell's Blog ~ Five for the Flagbearer

Scott's hunches on who the Frontrunners are for Canada's Flag Bearer. I'd love to be able to say if I agree w/him or not, but w/the CBC upgrading their website, anyone in Rural Canada who is still on &%$#$# Dial Up can't get the blasted thing to load properly anymore.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Chatter going around that Cadel Evans will be Australia's bearer.

Pretty good choice IMO. Would have been happy with Sally Pearson or Matthew Mitcham, too.
    I'd love to see Cadel chosen. This isn't an Olympic course that will suit him, so his medal chances aren't good, but in addition to being the first Australian to win the TdF, he does a lot of charity work and supports a number of good causes.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    CBC Sports ~ Scott Russell's Blog ~ Five for the Flagbearer

Scott's hunches on who the Frontrunners are for Canada's Flag Bearer. I'd love to be able to say if I agree w/him or not, but w/the CBC upgrading their website, anyone in Rural Canada who is still on &%$#$# Dial Up can't get the blasted thing to load properly anymore.
    I love his list. Any of those five would be very deserving.

vCash
    Despite the talk about Azarenka being the flag bearer for Belarus, it appears it will be another tennis player who will carry the flag - Max Mirnyi. Good choice, I think - long career and he's won 9 GS in doubles and mixed doubles.

Colombia's flag bearer will be Mariana Pajon (BMX), who is one of the biggest medal hopes. The Colombian Olympic Comittee selected a short list of 8 athletes, and the public voted via text message, and Mariana won the vote.

vCash
    Watching the swimming trials, if Dara Torres makes her 6th Olympics, she should have the honor.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast