vCash

looking for an hostel/etc in Helsinki - help!

Hi! I have to go to Helsinki next August for a conference - however, I'm still on a student budget and the accommodation suggested by the organisation committee seems quite expensive.

I will have to stay there about 5 nights, and I'd like to find a cheap hostel or b&b. Also student accommodation, if there are that accept few nights stay.
    I'm used to stay in hostels and so, so I don't mind a big shared room or less services...

I'm trying to find something, but it's quite difficult...Do you have any suggestion?

vCash
    What is your budget in BP or Euro?
    What do you mean by "difficult"?
    Are there no Hostels available for these dates?
    Are the least expensive options you found still too expensive?
    What is "student budget" in your situation, since it means different amounts to different people?
    Where in Helsinki is your venue? what dates?
    What accommodations have you researched already, and where is the stumbling block?

Stadion Youth Hostel is always 20 EURO/$25 USD per night, for bed in a communal room and use of toilet facilities. But it is not in the cenre, it's by the Olympic Pavilion, and a 20 minute walk to the transportation.
    http://www.stadionhostel.fi/cms/?cid..._mid=11&lang=2

All other inexpensive accomodations in August in Helsinki City Circle are 50-60 Euros per night. Do you want my list?

vCash
    wow, thanks!!! I hadn't seen the stadion hostel, it seems very good!

My budget would be actually around 20euro/night, I'd seen a lot of hostels available, but as you say they're all around 50/60 euro (including the official one proposed by conference organizers), I hoped there was more cheaper places...(so that's also what I meant by "difficult")

I've done all my researches through hostelbookers, hostelworld, booking and simple google.

Briefly, I've been around Europe even for 10/15 euro per night (and in Paris and London, not small cities) and I was quite surprised that in Helsinki all seem around 50/80 per night - since I have to stay for a week (last of August + first days of September), I didn't really want to spend around 400 only for the accommodation (as it seems I would have to do ).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kia_4EverOnIce View Post
    wow, thanks!!! I hadn't seen the stadion hostel, it seems very good!

Briefly, I've been around Europe even for 10/15 euro per night (and in Paris and London, not small cities)..
    Re: Stadion Youth Hostel booking. I am glad it may solve your search at least for now.

Make sure you don't spend more money on transport going into city, than you would save by staying for 20 Euros that far away.

Re: Europe on 10/15 euro a day.... You ought to right a book, seriously.. Not even a tour book, but an adventure book...

vCash
    Europe on 10/15 euro a day.... You ought to right a book, seriously.. Not even a tour book, but an adventure book...
    considering I'm an arts PhD student (and that explain my budget! ), I may take you seriously!

I can also add that in Paris I was staying literally 500mt from the Louvre for that price! Last minute offer, booked the evening before!

Thanx for the tip of the Stadion!
    next step: ryan air to arrive there!

vCash
    You should definitely think about a blog or a book -- that is remarkable!