Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    ^
    National results

I disagree JGP#3 is easier to medal than at JGP #4
    look where Shoji has been last season has been struggling and she did do well in Austria, Hae Jin doesn't have that high technical arsenal yet so Miller and even both ( Miller, Cesario) can medal on contrary to JGP # 4, you have Miyahara, Shershak and even Titushkina )
    Shershak has been (strategically, it looks like) shifted to Slovenia and replaced by Zaseeva. I think both events are really tough, especially compared to the fields in some of the later events.

vCash
    So with both Hannah Miller (silver) and Samantha Cesario (bronze) medalling today in Austria, it looks like 3 of the final 4 ladies' spots will be filled with the two of them plus Angela Wang (bronze in Lake Placid).

What an AMAZING JGP debut for Nathan Chen - he's provisionally slotted into JGP #6 in Zagreb, Croatia.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    So with both Hannah Miller (silver) and Samantha Cesario (bronze) medalling today in Austria, it looks like 3 of the final 4 ladies' spots will be filled with the two of them plus Angela Wang (bronze in Lake Placid).

I agree. there will be only one spot left for Bell or Edumnds and if Keiser medals next week they are done.

vCash

What an AMAZING JGP debut for Nathan Chen - he's provisionally slotted into JGP #6 in Zagreb, Croatia.
    If Cesario ultimately does not qualify for JGPF, I am going to kill those judges today for giving Miller higher PCS and not low enough GOEs for those tiny jumps.

While everyone praised Wagner for her Black Swan, she really should take note of Cesario's program - THAT is how it is supposed to be done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    I agree. there will be only one spot left for Bell or Edumnds and if Keiser medals next week they are done.
    Yeah but even if Keiser doesn't medal they might avoid picking between Bell and Edmunds and just send Lam out again. I don't really think Lam deserves to get a 2nd event, but it seems like something USFS might do considering only one of Bell or Edmunds can go and the decision to send one over the other could be controversial meaning they might just avoid it altogether. Or I guess they could send Siraj instead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    If Cesario ultimately does not qualify for JGPF, I am going to kill those judges today for giving Miller higher PCS and not low enough GOEs for those tiny jumps.

While everyone praised Wagner for her Black Swan, she really should take note of Cesario's program - THAT is how it is supposed to be done.
    I agree I thought Cesario should have placed ahead of Miller. Her skating is more mature and smooth, and her jumps get huge height which is especially noticeable when you compare them with Miller's who barely leave the ice. I like Hanna but I wonder if those jumps are going to survive if she grows any more, and even if they do, I highly doubt she'll ever be able to do a 3-3. I think Cesario OTOH could very feasibly do a 3-3 and wouldn't be surprised if she tries it out later this season.

vCash

I've seen both programs live several times, and I've watched the video from today's competition. Ashley is lightyears ahead of Samantha in terms of 'character' in the program and in terms of difficulty. Samantha is a very strong jumper and she skates very smoothly, but I think where she gets lost is in her arms and her face. The arms are either doing the airplane pose or the flap my wings movement. She needs to pay attention to that a bit more, and learn how to use them more effectively. Her face is exactly where it should be as a junior-- concentrating on the program, but she'll have to figure out how to emote more to the audience to draw us in much like Ashley did with her sinister Black Swan. The other part is, and I understand that the music is balletic-- Samantha doesn't use her upper body and lower body against each other. Everything is very refined (which is beautiful), but COP requires more opposing action above and below the waistline. Having said all of that, I think that Samantha is a beautiful skater, and I hope that she stays healthy so that we can all see what she truly can do when she has a full season under her skate laces.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Hannah's layback was .

vCash
    I envy you so much, Jayar, for having seen both programs live several times!

I actually really like Cesario's arms! but I agree she needs to demand more attention (esp. given the context of the program). It's probably easier with a big audience which can give immediate reaction. Let's hope Cesario gets that opportunity this season. She could totally make the 4CCs team if she keeps it up (and a 3/3 won't hurt).

vCash
    I'll help you. LOL.

vCash
    did i read something in the dornbush discussions about skaters having 2 internationals not having to do regionals and sectionals this season? could someone kindly clarify?

thank you.

as for cesario vs. miller, the US has an embarrassment of riches.

Title-less
    vCash
    Cesario's bigger jumps will be more an advantage in seniors. (I hope she'll get a senior intl next year) (Hopeful emoticon here)

vCash
    So Nathan is obviously getting a 2nd event, but I'm wondering, with any sense, USFS will send each of Farris, Chen, and Brown to a different 2nd JGP so that they can all have the best shot possible at qualifying for the JGPF. Chen and Farris with their wins and huge scores there is not as much pressure, a 4th place finish in a 2nd event would likely be enough even, but Brown with his silver and lowish score will likely need a second silver or better to qualify, which is why it would be silly to send him to a 2nd event where Chen or Farris will be because those two seem far ahead of him at this point and could knock him out of qualification. Is there a document showing what the remaining assignments (provisional and confirmed) for the US men looks like? I know some men still have to go out for a first time (Kaugers, Omori, etc) and idk if Choate is being given a 2nd event after placing 4th, but it seems it would be smarter to send Brown to a 2nd event with one of them, and avoid sending him to the event where both Yan and Jin are scheduled to compete and send Farris or Chen to that event instead, because even if those two come out ahead, they should still be fine to make the JGPF.

vCash
    Give USFS some credit, please.

USFS' International Assignments page originally had Brown's name down for Turkey (it was later removed and they forgot to add it back) - here's what's officially known for the men:

TUR: Brown (2nd assignment), Omori (1st assignment)
    SLO: Farris (2nd), Kaugars (1st)
    CRO: TBA (Chen provisional)
    GER: TBA
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Smart move sending Farris to SLO...tough field! Yan, Jin, Tanaka, Uno, and Sadovsky as competition! Whereas Turkey it seems like Brown's main competition is Nyugen, Honda, and Lee so there's a good chance he can win. Croatia has Yan and Kovtun but no one else noteworthy but the Germany event ATM seems even more wide open so I wonder if they'd send Chen to that instead, but I guess they are probably waiting to see how the other men do before assigning that event, and Chen should be able to manage 2nd or 3rd if not win in Croatia which should be more than enough, whereas anyone else going there wouldn't have much of a shot to medal, so yeah.
    Last edited by pinky166; 09-15-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: GUE

vCash
    Kovtun is in Germany as well.

I think USFS has to finalize the Croatia entries this week. If they wait until after the Istanbul competition athletes would only have a week to prepare before leaving for Zagreb.

vCash
    Give USFS some credit, please.

USFS' International Assignments page originally had Brown's name down for Turkey (it was later removed and they forgot to add it back) - here's what's officially known for the men:

TUR: Brown (2nd assignment), Omori (1st assignment)
    SLO: Farris (2nd), Kaugars (1st)
    CRO: TBA (Chen provisional)
    GER: TBA

well, some strategizing is reasonable, but you can't always avoid pitting 2 strong skaters against each other. keiser received the gift of being co-assigned with nina jiang because USFS was following seniors finish order.

whether miller meets cesario again or is co-assigned with keiser (i've already awarded keiser a medal next week, LOL) at her next assignment, she'd still have a fight on her hand. it vaguely reminds me of the jordyn wieber arguments... how can you beat the rest of the world if you can't even beat the other girls in your country?

is there a limit on how many JGPF representatives can come from one country? i mean, can we have a titushkina, shershak, radionova, gerasimova, zaseeva, miyahara JGPF?

also, forgive me for perseverating, but in order to earn a bye to nationals (bypassing regionals and sectionals) it's still required that a skater make the JGPF, right?

thanks in advance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    did i read something in the dornbush discussions about skaters having 2 internationals not having to do regionals and sectionals this season? could someone kindly clarify?

thank you.

as for cesario vs. miller, the US has an embarrassment of riches.
    Based on the rules posted by USFS, you only get a bye into Nationals if your international assignments coincide with your regionals/sectionals. This could be wrong, could be changed, could be subject to the whims of the usfs, martians, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkFeathers View Post
    Based on the rules posted by USFS, you only get a bye into Nationals if your international assignments coincide with your regionals/sectionals. This could be wrong, could be changed, could be subject to the whims of the usfs, martians, etc.
    thank you. i know there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here, so i thought i'd ask for some clarification regarding this post

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...&postcount=427

i like the martians theory

vCash
    JGP skaters will receive a bye through Sectionals in November to 2013 Nationals if they qualify for the JGP Final. They will still have to compete at Regionals in October if their JGP assignment is more than one week before or after their respective Regional. It is my understanding that Senior GP singles skaters with 2 GP assignments will be allowed a bye though their Regionals this year - I believe this was approved officially by the Chair of USFS' Competitions Committee.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast