Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    I hope Angela Wang gets 2... She deserves it after not being given a spot at Junior Worlds.
    Good point!

Title-less
    vCash
    Now that I've seen couple of JGP-eligible ladies do their short programs, I believe the ability to do the triple flip should be a deciding factor as to who gets to go.

I also think USFS should consider sending girls with senior level skills except a reliable 3 flip to a senior B instead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UDelpairs2012 View Post
    I love Nina Jiang she is so much potential
    ITA. I remember watching her at junior nationals; she really caught my eye then. Last year she really blew me away with her SP. She's got great qualities and a commanding presence on the ice. If she can get some more consistency to her jumps she could be a top contender.

I hope Angela Wang gets 2... She deserves it after not being given a spot at Junior Worlds. I hope USFA doesnt favour Cain again
    ITA with this as well. Angela had a great showing at nationals. She's another skater with great qualities and that spark that's needed to be a champion. Angela is still rough around the edges but she has a natural grace and charm about her that is just screaming for a Kwan-like transformation. If she gets hold of some great choreography and ups her presentation skills more, she could be a real contender. I mean, she had some of the most difficult technical content this year.

I'm excited to see what both Angela and Nina can do this year. I hope they get the opportunity to participate in the JGP...

vCash
    Just to check that the pile of scrambled mush currently passing as my brain isn't playing tricks on me, it IS possible for Joshua, Jason and Han to all do two JGPs and NOT come up against each other before JGPF, right?

That would be the ideal, and though I'm sure that the USFSA will do whatever they can to avoid putting Josh and Jason up against each other, I guess it depends on what the Chinese Fed decide with Han Yan.

Meanwhile I foresee the same three skaters as last year locking out the JGPF podium (maybe not in the same order).

vCash
    I hope Angela Wang gets 2... She deserves it after not being given a spot at Junior Worlds. I hope USFA doesnt favour Cain again
    Not sure why you have to knock one skater to promote another. There is room for both skaters on the JGP. And with Gracie on the GP, Ashley is the highest ranking junior lady from last season heading to the JGP from 2012 Nats. Angela is probably 1st or 2nd in line to get an assignment with Lam and Cain.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Just to check that the pile of scrambled mush currently passing as my brain isn't playing tricks on me, it IS possible for Joshua, Jason and Han to all do two JGPs and NOT come up against each other before JGPF, right?

That would be the ideal, and though I'm sure that the USFSA will do whatever they can to avoid putting Josh and Jason up against each other, I guess it depends on what the Chinese Fed decide with Han Yan.

Meanwhile I foresee the same three skaters as last year locking out the JGPF podium (maybe not in the same order).
    I think USFS will shuffle assignments around to give their skaters the best shot of qualifying for the JGPF, they did this last season when they reassigned Cesario from Milan to Talinn so she wouldn't have to compete against Lipnitskaya, Miyahara, and Hicks all at the same event. But yes, there are 6 (7?) JGP events, so Yan, Farris, and Brown could theoretically all attend 2 different events each. USFS can see which events Yan is assigned to and determine assignments accordingly. Further, it might come down to how others do at their first assignments, for example if someone like Chen or Choate medals/wins his first event, USFS could potentially send Farris to compete against Yan because he at least can reasonably compete against him, and if he were to win his 1st event, a 2nd or 3rd place at his second would likely get him to the final anyways, whereas Choate or Chen you can pretty much expect to get creamed by Yan (unless they are attempting and cleanly landing 3a by then) and would likely need a strategic 2nd assignment placement to get to the JGPF. So we shall see, at least these boys who really are ready to go senior will have serious competition in the form of each other on the junior ranks, it will at least push them to be their best.

vCash
    I'm nervous about Nina Jiang. She's really good, but 3f doesn't seem to be a strong jump for her, her 3lz is definitely more consistent at this point, but the jump out of steps for junior ladies in the SP this year is the 3f. So I know where she's skating as a senior domestically that doesn't matter, but it will probably play a factor in JGP assignments. And with Keiser and Edmunds kicking butt so far in summer competitions, I'm worried that she might not get any assignment at all, which would be really sad because she's a beautiful skater with so many great qualities and she DOES have the technical content now, 3f just happens to be probably her worst jump . Keeping my fingers crossed for her, hopefully, if she skates well in summer competitions she'll be assigned regardless of if she has issues with the 3f.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I'm nervous about Nina Jiang. She's really good, but 3f doesn't seem to be a strong jump for her, her 3lz is definitely more consistent at this point, but the jump out of steps for junior ladies in the SP this year is the 3f. So I know where she's skating as a senior domestically that doesn't matter, but it will probably play a factor in JGP assignments. And with Keiser and Edmunds kicking butt so far in summer competitions, I'm worried that she might not get any assignment at all, which would be really sad because she's a beautiful skater with so many great qualities and she DOES have the technical content now, 3f just happens to be probably her worst jump . Keeping my fingers crossed for her, hopefully, if she skates well in summer competitions she'll be assigned regardless of if she has issues with the 3f.
    it's too early to conclude that nina won't show progress with 3f in later summer competitions. didn't someone say she will be at skate detroit?

nina's polish and refinement make her stand out. several juniors have 3-3's, so to me, what nina possesses is more rare, precious.

if i'm worried about anybody being left out, it's mariah bell. she's so wonderfully charismatic, i really hope she somehow gets a JGP.

it's very admirable, what barbie long and polina edmunds have achieved. was it dick button who said it's easier to have the jumps first and develop presentation after?

ehhh... i don't really believe that. once they have the jumps and are rewarded for tech, most skaters don't bother fixing posture and pointing their toes. so... umm... yeah... go nina!

Title-less
    vCash
    I think Edmunds' program tonight had it all. Good basic skating, presentation, jumps. Of course, I need slow-mo to check for URs, but from that video, Edmunds is totally ready for at JGP

If she keeps at this, she can be the ultimate upcomer. Not that she's necessarily more talented than the other upcomers before her, but I can see her peaking at the right time and the right age. With other girls I sometimes wonder if they left one of their senior-eligible, peaking years in juniors (you never know, of course).

vCash
    ^^ Well said and I hope you're right! I was happy to see Nina finally being rewarded with the PCS she deserves last season. I think she will be at Skate Detroit, though I'm not positive, she usually does either Liberty or Skate Detroit but last year it was Skate Detroit (which she won!). And maybe you are right about the 3f, she actually learned it before the 3lz, and she managed to get the 3lz pretty consistent last season so the same could happen for the 3f this season. I presume last season she was working more on the 3lz, but this season where the flip is required for the JGP SP, she's probably focusing her attention on that jump now. Wishing her all the best this summer. I loved loved her SP from last season, and the video I saw of her new (tango) SP from the Bluebonnet Open also looked like it had the potential to be a great program, even though she wasn't totally on with the jumps there. But it is early still so there's time.

As for Mariah, she was 5th in juniors at Nationals, was sent to compete at Gardenia where she was 2nd, and with Gracie doing SGP, I'd say she's likely to get an initial invite even without stellar summer competition results. As long as she doesn't consistently tank, which she hasn't yet, her FS at BMO was respectable, she should be fine in terms of getting an assignment, and if she does well chances are she'll get a 2nd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I'm nervous about Nina Jiang. She's really good, but 3f doesn't seem to be a strong jump for her, her 3lz is definitely more consistent at this point, but the jump out of steps for junior ladies in the SP this year is the 3f.
    No, the jump out of steps for junior ladies in the sp this year is the 2F OR 3F.

2F with positive GOE or at least base mark is worth more than a downgraded 3F. So some skaters will be better off planning the double. One jump won't win events on its own . . . although a good 3F along with lots of other good stuff will certainly help.

Title-less
    vCash
    In Nina's case her jump combo is a triple toe-2t. That with a 2flip isnt going to be that competitive, though she can definitely improve by Aug. That said, with so many good girls, I am not sure about Nina going to jgp at this point though things can change

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    In Nina's case her jump combo is a triple toe-2t. That with a 2flip isnt going to be that competitive, though she can definitely improve by Aug. That said, with so many good girls, I am not sure about Nina going to jgp at this point though things can change
    Nina is also capable of 3t-3t though, she landed one in her SP at the 2010 JGP Courchevel, and it was listed as a planned element at some of her domestic events last season. So if the 3f isn't going well, she could focus on the 3t-3t instead and that with a 2f could still be pretty competitive. I mean, Anna Shershak won silver at a JGP last season with 3t-3t and 2lz in her SP, and Polina Korobeynikova I don't think ever cleanly landed or rotated her 3lz in the SP last season, and she was 4th and 2nd at her events.

At least domestically, Nina won't have to do a flip in her SP as she is competing as a senior, and at least at this point her 3lz seems a better jump for her.

That being said, she did a good job the past 2 seasons getting the required junior SP triple jump mastered over the summer. At 2010 Nationals, she only had 3t and 3s, but then added the 3lo to her arsenal that summer and had success with it all that season, including at her JGP where she landed 3lo cleanly in the SP. Then at Nationals in 2011, she had 3t, 3s, 3lo and was trying 3f which she normally fell on, but we never saw a 3lz, but then last summer she had started attempting and landing 3lz and it was a pretty consistent jump for her by the fall season, enough to put it in her SP even though she didn't have to where she was competing as a senior.

So, I am somewhat hopeful about Nina getting more consistent with 3f this summer. She does have the jump in her arsenal and has landed it at events before, and it's not that different from a 3lz, most people would probably consider it easier even. But I do agree that with the depth of the eligible ladies, she might wind up out of luck in regards to assignments if she doesn't skate very well, and preferably with a 3f, this summer.

vCash
    Why doesn't Jiang do a 3Lz-2T and then a 2F (if she can't get the 3F)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Why doesn't Jiang do a 3Lz-2T and then a 2F (if she can't get the 3F)?
    That's possible too, but she probably wants to try the 3f for now at least rather than give up on it so quick, she's landed them before, plus any domestic summer competitions she'll be competing in as a senior, so doing a 2f there would result in -3s for GOE b/c it's an illegal element. When and if she is assigned to a JGP, she can consider manipulating her jump layout around.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Entries for JGP #1 in Courchevel, France have been published online (link is posted in the "JGP Entries" thread in the 2012-14 Kiss and Cry forum) and the Team USA selections are: Vanessa LAM (S8 at 2012 Nationals) and Ashley CAIN (J2); Jason BROWN (S9) and Harrison CHOATE (J4); Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER (J3) and Holly MOORE / Daniel KLABER (N1) in dance.

Alternates are (listed alphabetically):
    Mariah BELL (J5), Samantha CESARIO (S-wd/2 JGP bronzes last season), Nina JIANG (S11), Leah KEISER (S12), Barbie LONG (J4), Hannah MILLER (J3), Yasmin SIRAJ (S15);
    Nathan CHEN (J1), Spencer HOWE (N3), Shotaro OMORI (P-J5/2 JGPs last season), James SCHETELICH (N2), Troy TOMASELLO (J8), Jay YOSTANTO (J7);
    Whitney MILLER / Kyle MACMILLAN (N2), Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS (J4).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I think these were good and fair selections.

Although Ashley Cain's inconsistency makes me nervous, she did have a good free skate at Liberty. Wishing her and Vanessa the best in France!

vCash
    Surprised that neither Angela Wang nor Josh Farris are listed as alternates while several others with lower scores/placements last season are. Not sure if this means anything but being on the substitute list early usually means you're next in line to be assigned, and you wouldn't think the USFS would want to wait until later in the season to assign either of those two to a JGP as they are two of the strongest skaters in contention to get 2 assignments and qualify for the JGPF imo! Unless they are going to senior Bs instead? Would hope Josh is not going to senior Bs when he had a senior GP entry guaranteed that USFS talked him out of accepting...

vCash
    Maybe they have already been assigned to JGP #2. It would make sense for USFS to want their strongest skaters performing at home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Maybe they have already been assigned to JGP #2. It would make sense for USFS to want their strongest skaters performing at home.
    That was my guess too. If that's correct these should be the skaters for JGP USA? Polina Edmunds, Courtney Hicks, Angela Wang, Joshua Farris, Kevin Shum, David Wang, Alexandra Aldridge & Daniel Eaton, Madeline Heritage & Nathaniel Fast, Elliana Pogrebinsky & Ross Gudis.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast