podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash

JC Penney's response to homophobic boycotts? A gay Father's Day ad

Some of you may recall that when JC Penney chose Ellen DeGeneres as their spokesperson, there was a group called One Million Moms who attempted to force JC Penney to fire her as a spokesperson. Ellen gave a fantastic response herself, and JC Penney stuck to their guns.

Now they are being proactive about their responses to homophobia with their new Father's Day ads featuring a gay couple and their children.

Bravo JC Penney!
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash

vCash
    I'm a former Penney Associate - loved the company, then and now. With their change in marketing strategy (no coupons/phony sales prices,) I've been thinking about James Cash Penney (sic) often. He passed away before I was hired as a wet-behind-the-ears IT trainee at their NYC headquarters, but he was larger than life and his influence was still felt when I was a management associate.

His father was a Baptist minister and his faith was an important part of his business philosophy. His first store in Kemmerer, Wyoming was called the "Golden Rule." The company mission statement really focused on treating everyone the way you would want to be treated: associates, vendors, customers, media and co-workers.

If Mr. Penney were alive today, I wonder what he would feel about gay rights and his company taking a controversial stand?

vCash

vCash
    If I still lived in the US I would be frequenting JCP on a very regular basis. I use to shop there at lot as it was but would do more so now that they are stepping up to the plate re doing what is right IMHO!!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Adding my to the bunch.

And making note to self to shop there more whenever I venture south of the border.

vCash

I should make it a point to go to JCPenney more often.

vCash
    I could watch that video of Ellen's response to when she was hired all day long on repeat!

Just shopped at JC Penney last night, actually!

ETA: I had to look up One Million Mom's response to this: http://www.onemillionmoms.com/IssueDetail.asp?id=457 I can just imagine all of these angry goose 'traditional family' women barking at their local store managers as they suggest to do so. Well, maybe not barking, but I can't picture that going over so well.
    Last edited by Fridge_Break; 05-31-2012 at 09:43 PM.