Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 334
  1. #21
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283
    This made me think of the stories about personal trainers who eat at McDonald's for a while and gain lots of weight. So that they can understand overweight/obese people...

    Weight issues are not about what one eats. Weight issues are not about how much one eats. Weight issues are about why one eats calorie-heavy foods.

    Bloomberg is showing how clueless he is.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,629
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Weight issues are not about what one eats. Weight issues are not about how much one eats. Weight issues are about why one eats calorie-heavy foods.
    Not sure I agree. All three play a role in being overweight and especially in losing weight!

    But Bloombergs plan sounds like a piece of garbage! I think it's safe to say he's taking the "you can eat/drink something "unhealthy" as long as it's in small amounts" a bit too far. What does it matter if there are only smaller drinks available? Then people drink more of the sugary stuff at home. Now there's something gained... (I guess the restaurants/stores would gain something, however, if people buy more drinks because they're smaller... )

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,019
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    13073
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Tad off topic, but has anyone taken a break from drinking pop, and then gone back to it and find it burns to drink it? I think unless you drink it regularly, it's kinda unpleasant to drink .
    This - I don't drink fizzy pop because it 'burns' my mouth (it feels hot somehow) and I've always found it puzzling that people are able to drink the stuff

  4. #24

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    Posts
    5,837
    vCash
    4511
    Rep Power
    10351
    So they can't sell the standard 20 oz. bottles of Coke anymore? Okay ... so I'll just buy two 12 oz. cans instead of one 20 oz. bottle of soda and now I'm consuming 24 ozs. of soda versus 20 oz. Yea. Brilliant plan. Seems to me the only thing this will do is increase the profits for the soda companies because people will now simple buy two smaller bottles. I know I would.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,329
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3958
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Diet soda is gross. How healthy is artificial sweetener that's in it?
    The aspartame is carcinogenic.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Weight issues are not about what one eats. Weight issues are not about how much one eats. Weight issues are about why one eats calorie-heavy foods.

    Bloomberg is showing how clueless he is.
    No you are wrong. Weight issues are about how much you eat, what you eat and when you eat it. If you eat 100g of pasta is not the same as eating 100g of white bread. The pasta has a longer glycemic curve, that means that you body needs a lot of time to burn the pasta, and you won't feel hungry for hours because your body is still using the energy of the pasta and doesn't need more. White bread has a shorter glycemic curve, and your body will need less time to use the energy that comes from that food. You will feel hungry in a shorter time because the energy of white bread lasts less than the one of pasta. So if for lunch you eat pasta, you will feel hungry at dinner. If you eat white bread, you will feel hungry after a few hours, and you will feel the need to eat before dinner.
    Every food has a glycemic curve, which is determined by the nature of the food and the way it has been processed. For example, and apple has a quite long glycemic curve. If you blend it, it will be shorter. If you drink just apple juice, without the fibers of the fruit, the curve will last a few minutes. It means that you won't feel hungry for five minutes, while if you had eaten just the apple, you would have felt hungry after a couple of hours.
    And I was just talking about an apple juice, which only contains the water and unprocessed sugar that is in an apple. A coke contains about 1/3 of sugar and 2/3 of water, plus colours and flavourings. Therefore, if you drink 300g of coke (way less than half a litre), you are eating 100g of sugar.
    Another example is that if you eat something at lunch, is not like eating it in the evening, because after lunch you work/study/play a sport, while after dinner you just sleep.
    Another thing I'd like to point out is that eating a lot/junk food and not getting fat does not entitle us to eat it anyway. I've heard lots of thin girls saying that they were eating junk food every day and not getting fat at all. It doesn't mean that your body won't later suffer because of that. Eating junk food for years does not just mean that we will get fat, but we will find the real results of that after decades, when all the junk that we have accumulated in our body (which won't be young any more) will cause tons of different illnesses, and it will be too late to change that situation. We are what we eat.
    IMO what the mayor did is better than nothing.
    Genegri, I'm happy that you quit drinking that much coke. Your body will thank you in the next years
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Age
    56
    Posts
    680
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19
    From the article: "The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores."

    So, in other words, you can still be a drunk. Just not a fat drunk.

    Can't you just see it in a few years. Obesity has been outlawed. Authorities go door to door arresting people for being too fat, and imprison them. While in prison, they are put on strict diets and excercise programs. The only way to serve out your sentence is to lose weight to your prescribed accpetable size.

    People begin hiding out in their homes, in fear of being caught for being too fat. Neighbors begin turning in neighbors when they are seen outdoors displaying their fat.

    Sounds like a good futuristic SyFy movie, doesn't it?

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,696
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Wow. Nanny State. I'm over being told what to eat. One day potato is super evil starch food the next I'm reading some article about how they're a super food. Pasta is evil then it isn't. Fat is evil and lard is difficult to find but you can find all sorts of cooking oil. Rice is eaten in the bucketloads in some countries and yet somehow we're killing ourselves eating rice. Meh I like a bit of everything and probably over indulge in sugars etc. Oh and I like coke.

    Also pingu you could eat all the healthy food in the world and still find yourself sick. Oh and I feel quite entitled to eat what I want thanks.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    Posts
    3,820
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2089
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I think diet soda tastes like it has insecticide in it.
    Well, I know it has aspertame (spelling?) which turns into formaldehyde when heated, so don't heat up your Diet Coke! At least this is what's been buzzing around for several years.

    I used to drink 2-3 Diet Cokes per day. I quit for Lent this year, and I have lost about 5 pounds and a lot of bloat in my lower abdomen, doing nothing else to lose, and now Diet Coke does taste like insecticide to me. I've had 2 since February, and I've absolutely no urge to go back to them. Those 2 I had made me ill.

    I believe they make you retain water pretty badly, so the lack of calories is offset by water retention. Someone can contradict me on that, but I think that's right.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    PA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    161
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2627
    I heard about this on the radio and it really bothers me. I have being told what to eat/what not to eat. The second I ban a food/drink, it's all I want.

    As for soda, I don't drink it too often anymore (I used to years ago, but have more or less cut it out as something I consume on a weekly basis. I may have a soda once or twice a month, if that). When I do drink soda (either coke or ginger ale), I don't do diet. Diet is a migraine trigger for me. In fact, if I can catch a migraine before it starts (I don't get auras, but sometimes get an odd taste in my mouth before the pain starts), nothing works better than coke and rx strength pain killers. If my stomach is upset, I'm flying, or super nervous about something, I drink ginger ale. So all in all, I don't drink soda often.

    Still, I hate the idea of banning soda/sizes of soda. When I was a kid, my family would often buy a large soda at the movies and we'd share/split it 3 ways. Way more cost effective. Now this would require individual sodas and more $$. This won't stop people from consuming larger quantities of soda, but rather it will cost more money to do so (instead of buying 1 20 oz, a person might buy 2 12oz...). I'm convinced, in the end, it's just a money making scheme.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    5,954
    vCash
    470
    Rep Power
    12551
    Most of the folks I've seen buying the 32 oz and larger sizes have been teenaged boys buying mega amounts of Mountain Dew. I've rarely seen someone who needs to lose weight buying one. I have seen a person buy and consume 3 Big Macs, a supersize order of fries, and a Diet Coke.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,329
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3958
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    Also pingu you could eat all the healthy food in the world and still find yourself sick. Oh and I feel quite entitled to eat what I want thanks.
    I'm sorry, I didn't want to sound like I was telling people what to do, I was just sharing what I have been taught in the dietology lessons I had at the university, as I found them interesting when I learned them. English is not my mothertongue so perhaps what I wrote had been misunderstood.
    You are right, we will never be sure whether we'll be sick because it was just going to happen anyway or because we smoked/ate something wrong/had any other bad habit. But, for example, if I have a lung cancer when I'll be older I know it was note caused by smoking because I don't smoke. If I smoked and I would then have a lung cancer, I would be never sure if it was caused by the smoking or if I would have had it anyway.
    It's like when you drive, you pay attention and try to not do any crash, but maybe you'll get involved in one anyway, right? In that case you are unlucky, but you know that it was not your behaviour that caused that.
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,750
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Except they didn't outlaw the sale of milkshakes and drinks that contain some juice. Both tend to have more calories than regular pop.

    8 oz Tropicana has 100 calories. Not prohibited.
    8 oz Coke has 96 calories. Prohibited.
    8 oz milkshake has 303 calories. Not prohibited.

    From a purely caloric perspective, it doesn't make a lot of sense.
    An 8 oz Coke is not prohibited. The ban would be soda in serving sizes over 16 oz.

    What about restaurants that keep refilling? Will that be banned? That drives us nuts when we are out with my nephew (an obese teenager)--servers will refill for the entire meal even if you ask them not to and the kid gets to drink a gallon of soda.

  13. #33
    podcast mistress
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    Posts
    7,823
    vCash
    2367
    Rep Power
    4368
    I think it's a good thing. Frankly, nobody needs 44 oz of coke.

    I read a study a few years back on CNN that if every person who drinks soda daily cut out 8 oz a day of soda, they'd lose 10 lbs by the end of the year without changing anything else.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

  14. #34
    Shadow dancing
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A small camper in the woods.
    Posts
    16,370
    vCash
    800
    Rep Power
    25484
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I think it's a good thing. Frankly, nobody needs 44 oz of coke.

    I read a study a few years back on CNN that if every person who drinks soda daily cut out 8 oz a day of soda, they'd lose 10 lbs by the end of the year without changing anything else.
    While I agree that nobody needs 44 oz of coke, it isn't the government's job to deny them the right to have one if they want.

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    877
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I swtched to Diet Coke several years back while trying to lose weight and now prefer it to regular Coke, which tastes much too sweet. I don't drink it often, though, maybe two-three times per week.

    A drink that should be banned is that vile concoction known as Diet Pepsi.

  16. #36
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,827
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    24455
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Tad off topic, but has anyone taken a break from drinking pop, and then gone back to it and find it burns to drink it? I think unless you drink it regularly, it's kinda unpleasant to drink .
    Diet soda, yes. (Don't drink regular -- too sweet.) It tastes like a mouthful of chemicals.

    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Well, I know it has aspertame (spelling?) which turns into formaldehyde when heated, so don't heat up your Diet Coke! At least this is what's been buzzing around for several years.
    It does but our body makes formaldehyde naturally. So I'm not sure it's that big a deal especially when it's in such small amounts.

    As for artificial sweeteners causing cancer, that has been largely debunked as the studies where this was shown were full of flaws and better designed studies don't show this to be an issue, at least not any more than anything else we use on a daily basis.

    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I read a study a few years back on CNN that if every person who drinks soda daily cut out 8 oz a day of soda, they'd lose 10 lbs by the end of the year without changing anything else.
    But it's not a study. It's a prediction. And the thing is, that's not how bodies work. You can cut out 8 oz. of soda a day but, unless you are carefully tracking everything you do to make sure nothing else has changed, most likely you will change something to compensate.

    That's because our appetite control system is very powerful. Our bodies do everything in our power to keep us at a certain weight. You can't just change one thing like that and expect that it will have any durable effect without doing anything else.

    This is one reason why just exercising more often doesn't lead to long-term weight loss. (Something that has been shown over and over in studies.) Our bodies respond to us burning extra calories by increasing our appetite most of the time. You also have to consciously limit your calories along with the increase in exercise if you want to see results.*


    *usual disclaimers apply... this is on average and in general. Individual results may vary.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

  17. #37
    AYS's snark-sponge
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    in the Bobrova & Soloviev Fan Clubhouse
    Posts
    41,907
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    30529
    aspartame as MacMadame said, has not been shown to cause cancer, or any of the other things you'll find claimed on the internet. It still tastes vile though.

    There does seem to be confirmed evidence that sodas, diet or otherwise, with the caramel type coloring of colas block calcium absorption so as someone said up thread, anyone with concerns about osteoporosis should not drink them regularly.

    I wonder how movie theaters feel about this law? Here they always sell humongous cola drinks at humongous prices so they can make money. I can't imagine how anyone drinks those things without bursting their bladders! Okay, I'm small...

    I think that calorie and ingredient information, and maybe sometimes warnings about information people may not have are a good idea. I don't think banning drinks or food that are only harmful if you over consume them is a good idea. People can decide for themselves and if they have unhealthy habits a ban like this isn't going to change that anyway.

    I drink seltzer water. I like that burning sensation.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

  18. #38
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,456
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    5546
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan View Post
    This - I don't drink fizzy pop because it 'burns' my mouth (it feels hot somehow) and I've always found it puzzling that people are able to drink the stuff
    Lol, you mean the 'fizzy' part? I love it--I always try to get the sparkling mineral water (otherwise I can't really see BUYING water.) It also feels colder on hot days! (If I get soda, I get Vernors or Squirt, or I get Canada Dry if I'm sick. If you see me with Canada Dry and saltines, keep a safe quarantine distance--its' my go-to stomach-bug food.)

  19. #39
    Shadow dancing
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A small camper in the woods.
    Posts
    16,370
    vCash
    800
    Rep Power
    25484
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    I drink seltzer water. I like that burning sensation.
    I love LaCroix sparkling water. No sodium, like most carbinated water, no artificial sweateners, no calories.

  20. #40

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Top of Utah!!
    Age
    55
    Posts
    7,546
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19192
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I don't know that I agree with the concept of a law, but the supersizing of drinks here is astounding. As a kid I could get a bottle of pop from a vending machine that was about 8 ounces. Maybe less.

    I like the required calorie listings at restaurants. I've been quite surprised at some of them, and it definitely has influenced my choice.
    Isn't it great that it's your choice?
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •