Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

vCash
    OMG, there is still fruit'n'yogurt on your menus? It's been taken off the German menus completely, it was my no.1 reason to go to McDonalds. I need to move.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Funny thing is that with all the increases in size of supposed single portion foods, here's one that has gone down: yogurt. Single serving size yogurt used to be 8 oz. now its 6 oz. I suppose that is because people eat it as a diet food and they want to list the lower calorie count?
    I would think it was more a matter of saving money on product by reducing the amount of product in a container that looks (and sometimes is) the same size; many other foods have experienced "shrinkage" over the years.

I think coffee was the first to diminish: http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18561_162-543240.html
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Funny thing is that with all the increases in size of supposed single portion foods, here's one that has gone down: yogurt. Single serving size yogurt used to be 8 oz. now its 6 oz. I suppose that is because people eat it as a diet food and they want to list the lower calorie count?
    It still is. The serving size on the yogurt quarts is 1 cup. It's the individual sugar bombs that got smaller.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    speaking of yogurt, what's with the sudden popping up of yogurt places all over? I assume this is all frozen yogurt? They brought one of these companies in to serve yogurt at a function at our work today, can't remember the name, man that stuff was nasty.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    I was excited the other day when. on a 20oz. bottle of pop, it showed the calories for the entire bottle rather than per serving. When people read "120 calories per serving" they think it isn't so bad and stop reading before they see that there's 2.5 servings per bottle.
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    speaking of yogurt, what's with the sudden popping up of yogurt places all over? I assume this is all frozen yogurt? They brought one of these companies in to serve yogurt at a function at our work today, can't remember the name, man that stuff was nasty.
    Yeah, I've tried the awkward froyo places that have popped up. It's this very odd texture and you can't taste any yogurt in it. I have no idea what it's actually made of.

I made home-made peach frozen yogurt last week for my birthday, and home-made strawberry frozen yogurt yesterday. Amazing But I do think it's probably ruined my taste for the store-bought stuff, even the good kinds There's this amazing sour-sweet flavor to it that even good-quality stuff like Stonyfield Farm can't replicate.

vCash
    I agree with Prancer, it's more about cutting costs. The package and price stays the same, but the container holds less. Haagen Dazs containers went from 16 oz. to 14 oz. Cereal boxes got bigger, but they contain less cereal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    Drink sizes definitely were smaller. I think the fry sizes might have been smaller too.
    Fry and hamburger sizes were much smaller than even what is in today's kid's meal. I was trying to explain that to someone close to my son's age and they said "weren't you hungry after you finished eating?" I don't think so, but I don't remember
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    They all have them where I am. Maybe it's a regional thing?
    Still play yards with the McDonalds around here. One is even 2 stories high

vCash
    Kids' meals at most fast food restaurants tend to have the actual number of calories that adults need.

We used to have a Play Place at the McDonalds in Houghton, but when they moved the location to across the street from the Wal*Mart (AKA the biggest attraction in the Copper Country), they didn't put in a play place.

vCash
    Mr. Barbk thinks it is on a thirty year cycle -- last really popular in the '80s, boutique very high end stores opening about ten years ago, and now floods of chains and mom and pop stores. We've gone from about ten back then, to one for the longest time -- and now I can count at least seven.

vCash
    Just when you think you have it all figured out...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ing-wrong.html
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I think most of us know that we need some fat in our diets. But, saturated fats need to be limited. As far as whole milk/vs/skim - my cardiologist says skim.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    As far as whole milk/vs/skim - my cardiologist says skim.
    And mine says whole. Should they duke it out?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    And mine says whole. Should they duke it out?
    Yup. Rock 'em Sock 'em Docs!

Do you have a cholesterol problem or plaque?

vCash
    I think most of us know that we need some fat in our diets. But, saturated fats need to be limited. As far as whole milk/vs/skim - my cardiologist says skim.
    There are many people who would argue with all three parts of your statement.

In the Michael Pollan book I am just reading, a study group was polled on fats. 23% of them reported that they believed that the best possible diet would be one with no fat whatsoever.

There are different kinds of saturated fats. There was also a time when trans fats were supposed to be the healthy alternative to saturated fat, and then it turned out that trans fats will kill you. There is a lot that nutritionists don't know yet. The real truth is that a diet that consists mostly of meat and dairy products is harmful, but whether it's the saturated fat in those that is really the harmful part can be argued, because it's impossible to isolate just the saturated fat from a whole food and accurately test it. Not to mention that, if this is the standard opinion, and you still think people have an easy time noting what is or is not healthy, then why do Americans consume so much more meat than anyone else?

And everyone will have a different opinion on skim vs. whole vs. in-between.

Like I said pages and pages ago, it's not that easy, actually, to decide for yourself what is healthy. You may think it is, but it's not.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Yup. Rock 'em Sock 'em Docs!

I read that as cholesterol or plague!

engaged to dupa
    vCash

No. Packed a few pounds on in the last few years, though.

You seem to be the one who thinks it's simple, michiruwater. Oh you spout all the disclaimers but...
    3539 and counting.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    I read that as cholesterol or plague!
    Yes, yes! I have plague. (sorry for the double post
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Where have I demonstrated that I think it's simple? And which 'it' are you talking about? We've covered a lot of different territories. Please show me exactly which posts and where you came away with the conclusion that I thought it was simple.

And to clarify just in general, there are things within an overall diet that, to me, are both simple and obvious. Eat less meat. Eat whole grains instead of processed grains. Eat more vegetables. But to many people, 'eat less meat' is not something they would ever believe, and they don't understand the differences between whole grains and processed grains or know how to read a label to actually see if the whole grains promised on the box exist in real quantities (they often don't). There are tons and tons of things that are very confusing, and especially to people who haven't researched much on the subject. And the hardest problem of all is how to afford to eat better. I don't think I've ever stated that I think it's all simple.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    And to clarify just in general, there are things within an overall diet that, to me, are both simple and obvious. Eat less meat. Eat whole grains instead of processed grains. Eat more vegetables. But to many people, 'eat less meat' is not something they would ever believe
    Is eat less meat really something that is good for diet? My nutritionist always recommends eating lean white meats and non oily fish as one of the best sources of protein when balancing your diet. I'm struggling to think what i would substitute meat for and still get the same amount of protein.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast