Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I do appreciate the information nonetheless. On my way to the Oregon Coast this weekend (which, BTW, is so beautiful!), I stopped by a place called Jersey Mike's Subs (so many American chain fast food places I have never heard of before). They had the calories for each sandwich, which I think is great. I wish Canada would follow suit tout de suite. Originally, I was gonna get a veggie sub but then ordered the turkey and provolone when I found out that the veggie sub was actually higher in calories.

This place, like most fast food places, had refillable drinks where you go back to the pop station to fill your cup for free. So, even with the limits placed by the NYC govt, you can drink as much as pop as you wish. You just have to walk a bit more.
    Jersey Mike's is awesome!
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    I don't know that the following had an impact but IMO it would be a consideration (since I come from a sugar is bad for you POV)..........I think the 80's is exactly when the obesity epedemic *started*. There are theories that this is tied to the corresponding "low fat" mantra that happened simultaneously. Sugar replaced the fat in many cases. The fat, at least, satiated your hunger, while the sugar spurs it on, possibly causing people to eat more total calories.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    I'm reading In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. I'm in the first third, which is about the advent of nutritionism, and talks a lot about how in the 70s and 80s whole foods began to be replaced in the mind of Americans by the nutrients that were in them. Saturated fat became the Big Evil, and people were advised to eat less saturated fat as a percentage of total calories. Therefore, a lot of people started eating a lot of carbs, but rarely actually cut out the amount of fat they were eating, or replaced the fat with carbs, but lots of carbs. And, after they got rid of a prior law required imitation foods to label themselves as imitations, and after the nutrients became more important than the foods themselves, brands started marketing themselves like crazy based on those nutrients. So something totally awful for you that had some fiber - like sugary cereals - would paste TONS OF FIBER or some equivalent on their boxes, and people would feel that that gave them leave to eat a ton of that product - because they were being told to eat that nutrient, so a lot of that nutrient is good, right?

I'm trying to summarize 73 pages of stuff so far So I hope that all makes sense. But I highly recommend the book. It's my favorite Michael Pollan book so far, and the whole first third is just about what we're currently talking about - why people started getting fat in the 80s (though it sort of started in the 60s).

One of the most interesting things to me was that the very first committee appointed to figure out why rates of cardiovascular disease and diabetes were rising (in the 60s) delivered a very uncompromising, simple recommendation: eat less meat. The meat companies all went apeshit, the head of that committee was never re-elected again, and subsequently all recommendations were phrased in terms of nutrients (eat less saturated fat).

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I think also what's different today than pre-80s is that there wasn't a McDonald's or a Burger King or KFC on every corner. So even if you *did* see a commercial for it in the 70s, you likely had to go out of your way to get it.
    We had to go to Hackensack
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    We had to go to Hackensack
    River Street?
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I don't know about the 80s. I was a child of the 80s and I loved me some Big Macs. I remember always going to McDonald's for birthday parties. Older relatives who see me now after a long time apart always recall me wanting to eat a Big Mac. Oh, so funny!
    I seem to remember portion sizes at McDonald's as being smaller in the 80s than today.

This is interesting: http://www.divinecaroline.com/22177/...on-size-vs-now
    Last edited by sap5; 06-20-2012 at 03:46 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    I seem to remember portion sizes at McDonald's as being smaller in the 80s than today.

This is interesting: http://www.divinecaroline.com/22177/...on-size-vs-now
    Those are some fascinating images. I remember the small bagels. And in my memory, they tasted better because there was a much higher surface to area ratio than with today's giant bagels. And, if you got one, you either ate it plain, or with a thin smear of cream cheese. At least around here, that 330 calorie bagel is then spread with a solid quarter cup or more of cream cheese. Urp.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I don't disagree, but are these the same kids who are regularly getting dinner at McDonalds? Somehow I don't think the parents of these kids are also introducing them to sushi.
    In the case of my kids' friends, yes, they are the same kids. They are exposed to more people from other cultures and their foods but also eat a lot of junk food. It's been interesting to watch.

I grew up in the 60s and there wasn't much junk food around. We had ONE McDonalds anywhere near us and we might go once a month. There was no Burger King. There were some fast foods places that weren't chains (like this great place that sold Philly Cheesesteaks) but I have more fast food restaurants just within 10 minutes of my house than we had within an hour of the house growing up.

I would say this started to change in the 70s but it really exploded starting in the 80s.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash

Drink sizes definitely were smaller. I think the fry sizes might have been smaller too.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    I know this is focusing on just one item, but the bagels around here were always the larger ones. I wonder if it's location. Living in the NJ/NY/CT area, bagels are a food group .

vCash
    I don't see many mcdonalds with a play area for kids anymore either. That was part of the draw for me and my friends growing up. We'd eat our kiddies meals and then play in the giant tube maze thing for awhile. Ive always been obsessed with food but I managed to stay skinny for most of my childhood by running around and playing in my neighborhood, or at the local mcdonalds. I was never allowed to play video games.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I think there were fewer chain fast food locations in my youth, but there were plenty of local pizza places and individually owned delis and bakeries with some of the most yummy cakes and donuts around. Lots of opportunity for "bad food" although it may have been different bad food.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I think there were fewer chain fast food locations in my youth, but there were plenty of local pizza places and individually owned delis and bakeries with some of the most yummy cakes and donuts around. Lots of opportunity for "bad food" although it may have been different bad food.
    I don't know that we can blame the proliferation of fast food restaurants. We have to consider supply and demand. If people did not eat at the fast food restaurants, there would not be as many. Everything is convenience oriented. If you notice, there are very few actual bakeries around anymore (at least, around here). Grocery stores now have big bakery departments, which have put independent bakeries out of business. One stop shopping. It seems we have changed. It used to be that fast food and other types of restaurants were for special occasions or treats. A bakery cake or donuts, etc. were treats. Now, even though the quality of the grocery store baked goods is not as good, we impulse buy them. We don't have the same idea of things being special anymore. Maybe part of the instant gratification generations.

vCash
    I met a friend for drinks at a local restaurant last night, and we decided to get something small to eat. I noticed that the menu had a mini burger and fries. I ordered it, and indeed it did look mini. Come to find out, it was actually 1/4 lb, but really compacted into a small size. When did 1/4 pound of beef become "mini"? Made me wonder how much their non-mini burgers weigh!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    I don't see many mcdonalds with a play area for kids anymore either. That was part of the draw for me and my friends growing up.
    They all have them where I am. Maybe it's a regional thing?
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Maybe it is. I live in a different area of the US now, so maybe the play areas aren't a big thing here.
    Kids are becoming increasingly sedentary these days though, and that's a problem.
    Most "regular size" burgers these days now boast at least 1/2 pound of beef. At least.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    Drink sizes definitely were smaller. I think the fry sizes might have been smaller too.
    I definitely remember that when I ordered fries for myself, it would come in the white envelope that is now the small/dollar size. Buying fries in the "large" red carton meant I'd be sharing that carton with at least 1 other person. Now it seems that the red carton is the standard "individual" size.

Another link: http://moneyland.time.com/2012/03/08...-drinks-for-1/

If small fries are priced closer to the medium size, I can see how more people will buy the larger size because the difference in price is so small for so many more fries.

Also, interesting info on using the word "snack."
    Last edited by sap5; 06-20-2012 at 06:10 PM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The Washington Post had an article today about how the pizza industry is objecting to guidelines requiring chains to display caloric content:

http://wapo.st/KLcmba

I love how their coalition says that 90% of orders are taken over the phone and Internet, but they're worried most about how to fit the info on a pizza board. Like (xxxx) or (xxx) takes up a lot of space.

Phone, I could see, but they're worried about space on their web pages? It's not like they are the at the forefront of pristine web design.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 06-20-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Of course they are. What sucks is that their reasons shouldn't be taken seriously, but likely will be.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Funny thing is that with all the increases in size of supposed single portion foods, here's one that has gone down: yogurt. Single serving size yogurt used to be 8 oz. now its 6 oz. I suppose that is because people eat it as a diet food and they want to list the lower calorie count?
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast