Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Ya never know with someone who likes tofu - they'll eat all kinds of fake. Fake butter, fake cheese, fake Brian, fake milk and on and on.
    I don't eat any of those things. Fake butter? Fake cheese? Mais NON!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    What about those who love tofu but should not eat it because it is "estrogenic"?
    It depends...I was advised to eat it BECAUSE it's estrogenic. Not every woman has too much estrogen. Or even enough
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Bring it on, bint.
    FOOD FIGHT! With gnomes.

Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    I don't eat any of those things. Fake butter? Fake cheese? Mais NON!
    You better not touch my "fake" Brian.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    But I have crazy-good cholesterol genes from my mom's side. So we don't have to worry about it. Nor high blood pressure, cause we suffer from the complete opposite!
    Just a warning: My cholesterol is actually good. Around 178 total, and my HDL?LDL ratio is excellent. But, I have a genetic predisposition for building plaque. So, I am supposed to keep my fat intake down (especially saturated and trans), and I am on Crestor. Even with relatively low cholesterol, I have some coronary artery plaque. So, for everyone's well being, don't assume that you have no plaque, just because your cholesterol is not high.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Just a warning: My cholesterol is actually good. Around 178 total, and my HDL?LDL ratio is excellent. But, I have a genetic predisposition for building plaque. So, I am supposed to keep my fat intake down (especially saturated and trans), and I am on Crestor. Even with relatively low cholesterol, I have some coronary artery plaque. So, for everyone's well being, don't assume that you have no plaque, just because your cholesterol is not high.
    So...how can they tell without going in there and taking a look? A quick Wikipedia search says we can only really look at it postmortem, otherwise doctors have only physical stress tests (which can only tell if it's so bad it's affecting your blood circulation) or expensive imaging tests.

Heart disease does not run in my family so I can't imagine how any of us would know if we had plaque (or any doctors would check for it beyond the usual cholesterol/triglyceride tests) unless somebody gets a heart attack...

It all depends on family history and what you're predispositioned to. I don't think it would be cost-effective to test everyone 40+ for athleroschlerosis, especially if you can only really test for it when it's very bad.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    So...how can they tell without going in there and taking a look? A quick Wikipedia search says we can only really look at it postmortem, otherwise doctors have only physical stress tests (which can only tell if it's so bad it's affecting your blood circulation) or expensive imaging tests.

Heart disease does not run in my family so I can't imagine how any of us would know if we had plaque (or any doctors would check for it beyond the usual cholesterol/triglyceride tests) unless somebody gets a heart attack...
    I'm not certain Wiki is accurate on this one (tell me it's not so ). This link, which granted is from a commercial site, indicates otherwise.

http://www.centracare.com/specialty_...d_scoring.html

My PCP is both an internist and a cardiologist and I've had the test done a couple of times over the years. My insurance covers it but I still get the EOB and see what he charges - it's not very expensive.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash

It all depends on family history and what you're predispositioned to. I don't think it would be cost-effective to test everyone 40+ for athleroschlerosis, especially if you can only really test for it when it's very bad.
    They absolutely can see plaque/blockage in a living person, with an Angiogram. I was tested with a CT Angiogram. A CAT Scan with dye. They then did a stress test, which was good. If the stress test had been a problem they would have done an actual Angiogram to determine how much blockage there is. Right now, I know there is blockage, but it doesn't appear to be enough to correct. I was having palpitations and severe back pain, they thought I might have been having a heart attack (two years ago). They still don't really know what happened, they did enzyme tests, the heart enzyme test was elevated (which would indicate a heart attack). But the general muscle enzyme was not elevated, which would suggest a possible false positive on the cardiac enzyme (troponin) being elevated. They are thinking it might have been a cardiac or an esophageal spasm. They did find that I have some fluid around my heart. They don't know why that's there, after lots of tests !

vCash
    I think most of us know that we need some fat in our diets. But, saturated fats need to be limited. As far as whole milk/vs/skim - my cardiologist says skim.
    Ugh. Skim milk looks like watery-grey breast milk...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    And it's not even free.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    I get Skim Plus, it tastes better. And it has more calcium.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    They absolutely can see plaque/blockage in a living person, with an Angiogram. I was tested with a CT Angiogram. A CAT Scan with dye. They then did a stress test, which was good. If the stress test had been a problem they would have done an actual Angiogram to determine how much blockage there is. Right now, I know there is blockage, but it doesn't appear to be enough to correct. I was having palpitations and severe back pain, they thought I might have been having a heart attack (two years ago). They still don't really know what happened, they did enzyme tests, the heart enzyme test was elevated (which would indicate a heart attack). But the general muscle enzyme was not elevated, which would suggest a possible false positive on the cardiac enzyme (troponin) being elevated. They are thinking it might have been a cardiac or an esophageal spasm. They did find that I have some fluid around my heart. They don't know why that's there, after lots of tests !
    Ah, so you were having symptoms.

I was just afraid that my parents might be missing something, since they never mention getting any heart tests when they go to the doctor. Usually they get scolded for not weighing enough. Cancer (different kinds) and osteoporosis runs in my family, but not heart disease. I'm not old enough to know yet, but was just wondering if getting tested for atherosclerosis was something you were supposed to do...

vCash
    Ah, so you were having symptoms.

I was just afraid that my parents might be missing something, since they never mention getting any heart tests when they go to the doctor. Usually they get scolded for not weighing enough. Cancer (different kinds) and osteoporosis runs in my family, but not heart disease. I'm not old enough to know yet, but was just wondering if getting tested for atherosclerosis was something you were supposed to do...
    Probably not to the degree I was tested. But, the test Milanessa mentioned would probably be good, at least for a baseline.

Osteoporosis runs in my family too. I already have osteopina. It sucks getting old!
    Last edited by cruisin; 06-27-2012 at 02:20 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post

It depends...I was advised to eat it BECAUSE it's estrogenic. Not every woman has too much estrogen. Or even enough
    I admit, I'm a bit envious.

vCash
    I'm watching Sugar: The Bitter Truth, and it's fascinating so far.

vCash

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617