Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I think it's a good thing. Frankly, nobody needs 44 oz of coke.
    Are you in favor of prohibiting everything that people don't need, or just this one?
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    I have seen a person buy and consume 3 Big Macs, a supersize order of fries, and a Diet Coke.
    Some people just prefer the taste of a diet coke no matter if they are trying to lose weight or not. What they eat with it is irrelevant when choosing one beverage of choice over another.

It's no different that people ordering a salad with a regular coke.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Are you in favor of prohibiting everything that people don't need, or just this one?
    I'm in favor of prohibiting marketing machines and large corporations pushing their crap on us.

When the government allowed ads for various drugs to be put on TV, presumably so people could be in charge of their own choices for drugs . . . has that helped people make informed choices in the long run?
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Tad off topic, but has anyone taken a break from drinking pop, and then gone back to it and find it burns to drink it? I think unless you drink it regularly, it's kinda unpleasant to drink .
    Yes, I quit all soda/carbonated beverages and drank water/iced tea for several months. Then, when iced tea was not available, and I was dying for caffeine, I had a Diet Coke. Not only did the fizz burn, but it tasted totally vile. Combination of Robitussin and insecticide. And the sugar stuff - blah, tongue coating cloying bleech.

Allegedly, the carbonation contributes to cellulite so I don't think the diet stuff is too good either.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I think diet soda tastes like it has insecticide in it.
    That's exactly why I won't drink it.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I quit drinking colas 5 years ago - I will drink one very occasionally now, and while it doesn't burn, I rarely can finish the whole thing. It just tastes like corn syrup.

ps diet sodas are evil!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    The government doesn't need to be involved in this.

It's likely potentially harmful to eat/drink anything to excess.
    However, unless something becomes a matter of general public safety, it should remain a personal choice.
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 05-31-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I'm in favor of prohibiting marketing machines and large corporations pushing their crap on us.

When the government allowed ads for various drugs to be put on TV, presumably so people could be in charge of their own choices for drugs . . . has that helped people make informed choices in the long run?
    So which additional items do you think should be restricted from sale?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    So which additional items do you think should be restricted from sale?
    Cigarettes and "smokeless tobacco" products.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash

Maybe, maybe not, but at least it's still their choice...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    I read a study a few years back on CNN that if every person who drinks soda daily cut out 8 oz a day of soda, they'd lose 10 lbs by the end of the year without changing anything else.
    Been there. Done that. Doesn't work. I used to drink a 12 oz. can of Coke every work morning (it was my 'coffee'). In 2008 my New Years resolution was no more morning Coke and switched to water only work mornings. Stopped cold with drinking a can in the morning, so pretty much cut out about 250 12 oz. cans per year (figuring about 22 work days per month average, excluding vaca days, etc.). Didn't change anything else, just cut that morning 12 oz. Coke. I didn't lose a single pound that entire year (weighed the same on January 1 as I did on December 31 according to my scale at home), and pretty much weigh the same now as I did in 2008 when I cut that single 12 oz. Coke per day and not changing anything else.

vCash
    ^^^ Yeah, considering 8oz of soda only amounts to 96 calories, that's not likely to make a difference in a person's weight.

I suspect the thinking was if you multiply 96 x 365, you'd get 35,040. Since a pound equals 3500 calories, that would be the equivalent of 10 pounds. But as has been mentioned, the body doesn't really work that way.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    So a person can make a choice to buy a packet of cigarettes which are clearly deadly but they can't make a choice to buy a gallon of coca cola? It just makes no sense. I drink only diet sodas because I actually prefer them to the real thing and because I am type 2 diabetic. What is to stop someone from buying multiple smaller drinks? Nothing. This is just way too much government interference. If the stuff is so bad for us then outlaw it all together. If they can't do that to cigarettes then it can't be done to sugar drinks.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Apparently, the Mayor does appreciate certain foods, as he's issued a proclamation for Doughnut Day tomorrow.

Indeed, at 9:30 a.m. tomorrow morning, Entenmann’s will be unveiling “Custom-made Entenmann’s large donuts, 1-foot in diameter” at Madison Square Park at the same time they unveil a “Proclamation Letter by Mayor Michael Bloomberg.”

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Of course they can't ban it all together, even if they wanted to. Nor should they.

I'm not for taking people's choices away, but this is really not a big deal considering people can still buy soda by the gallon and drink it if they so choose. But it's a step towards telling those manufacturers that there should be acceptable limits.

Do you all think that the few local governments in the US that have banned plastic bags or bottled water shouldn't have done so? The environment and our health are all better off for it, right? But god forbid we took people's choices away and they have to drink tap water like we all did 15 years ago, or bring a cloth bag to the store. I didn't hear anyone here barking about those choices being removed.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    huge donuts YES!, huge sodas, NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty
    Apparently, the Mayor does appreciate certain foods, as he's issued a proclamation for Doughnut Day tomorrow.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Do you all think that the few local governments in the US that have banned plastic bags or bottled water shouldn't have done so? The environment and our health are all better off for it, right? But god forbid we took people's choices away and they have to drink tap water like we all did 15 years ago, or bring a cloth bag to the store. I didn't hear anyone here barking about those choices being removed.
    I don't see a whole lot of similiarity there. Plastic bags and bottles weren't banned for personal health reasons; they were banned for environmental reasons. While there are some people who have concerns about drinking out of plastic bottles, that was really not the issue behind the banning.

Banning soda in this manner, OTOH, serves no particular purpose that I can see.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Of course they can't ban it all together, even if they wanted to. Nor should they.

I'm not for taking people's choices away, but this is really not a big deal considering people can still buy soda by the gallon and drink it if they so choose. But it's a step towards telling those manufacturers that there should be acceptable limits.

That's because in the huge scheme of things, soda (especially diet coke,) is so much more vital and important!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    There wouldn't be such a problem with plastic bags if cashiers were taught how to properly bag stuff like groceries. Can't tell you how many times I've gone through the line and have had to say "one bag, please." "One bag?" "Yes, one bag." This is for items that don't "need" to be bagged separately, like raw meats and veggies. I don't even pack my bread separately; I'm going to be eating it, not putting it up for decoration, so if it gets a bit dented, who cares? This is why I only go to the market with the self check-out if I'm getting more than 1 or 2 items, so I can pack my own, and walk out with one bag instead of the 2-3 that a cashier would typically use.

And yes, I do recycle my plastic bags. Price Chopper and Hannaford both have bins out by the front doors where people can drop off their plastic bags; every month or so I take my collection up to PC and get rid of it.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post

Price Chopper and Hannaford both have bins out by the front doors where people can drop off their plastic bags; every month or so I take my collection up to PC and get rid of it.
    Why not a reusable bag?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast