Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Thumbs down Stupid, stupid, stupid...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/ny...ml?_r=1&emc=na

How is this ban going to reduce obesity? Unless they limit the amount of food that people can consume while eating out, I don't see how this is going to help.

Sugary drinks are fattening, but so are a lot of other things like fried foods, mayonaise, ice cream, butter, etc. When people are eating out, let them decide for themselves. I can see something like this being implemented in a school setting, but not in deli's, fast food places, restaurants, etc.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores.
    Whew. I can still visit NYC. I need my diet pop.

I know people go on and on and on and on and on and on about those folks who buy a Big Mac and then a Diet coke, but do you know how many calories are in a Coke? It makes a difference. Diet soda allows for the occasional treat in a person's diet. Besides, diet coke tastes better than regular coke.

I don't see this affecting restaurants too much. The glasses aren't that big and they're usually refillable, anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Whew. I can still visit NYC. I need my diet pop.

I know people go on and on and on and on and on and on about those folks who buy a Big Mac and then a Diet coke, but do you know how many calories are in a Coke? It makes a difference. Diet soda allows for the occasional treat in a person's diet. Besides, diet coke tastes better than regular coke.
    I definately like diet soda better. I just think people should be able to make their own decision about what size soda they want.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I know people go on and on and on and on and on and on about those folks who buy a Big Mac and then a Diet coke, but do you know how many calories are in a Coke? It makes a difference.
    Except they didn't outlaw the sale of milkshakes and drinks that contain some juice. Both tend to have more calories than regular pop.

8 oz Tropicana has 100 calories. Not prohibited.
    8 oz Coke has 96 calories. Prohibited.
    8 oz milkshake has 303 calories. Not prohibited.

From a purely caloric perspective, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I think diet soda tastes like it has insecticide in it.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Diet soda is gross. How healthy is artificial sweetener that's in it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I think diet soda tastes like it has insecticide in it.
    Thank you

My theory has been people who drink diet pop for extended periods of time eventually kill off any taste buds rendering such foul drinks palatable.

vCash
    I'm sorry, I guess I am too unrefined to appreciate the flavour and deliciousness of regular coke.

vCash
    We forgive you

I don't actually like regular coke either. I'm not a big pop drinker in general

vCash
    I'm sorry, I guess I am too unrefined to appreciate the flavour and deliciousness of regular coke.
    Me, too -- regular Coke or Pepsi is just too sweet for me.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    We forgive you

I don't actually like regular coke either. I'm not a big pop drinker in general
    Same here. But if I do have a soda, I'd rather have just about anything other than diet anything. Blech.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Yeah, yeah, you can eat and consume anything and everything you want but in proportion.

Obesity problem solved!

vCash
    All soda drinks are just full of crap and chemicals, doesn't matter if they are diet or regular. Drink them and you are just putting crap and chemicals into your body which just ain't natural.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    But people are fat! We must DO SOMETHING. It doesn't matter if it's effective or not!
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    All soda drinks are just full of crap and chemicals, doesn't matter if they are diet or regular. Drink them and you are just putting crap and chemicals into your body which just ain't natural.
    All food and drink are made of chemicals, just like we are.

Plenty of natural chemicals are harmful. Plenty of manufactured ones aren't.

Sugar is natural. So is fat.

Soda has no nutritional value, while orange juice and milkshakes do. But orange juice and milkshakes are full of sugar and milkshakes are also full of fat. But sugar and fat are natural.

Too much for me to comprehend.

vCash
    Tad off topic, but has anyone taken a break from drinking pop, and then gone back to it and find it burns to drink it? I think unless you drink it regularly, it's kinda unpleasant to drink .

vCash
    NYC already has a law about listing calorie and fat counts for other kinds of food. I remember being in a Starbucks there and being at how unhealthy some of the baked goods really are.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I don't know that I agree with the concept of a law, but the supersizing of drinks here is astounding. As a kid I could get a bottle of pop from a vending machine that was about 8 ounces. Maybe less.

I like the required calorie listings at restaurants. I've been quite surprised at some of them, and it definitely has influenced my choice.

vCash
    My main concern about Coke is other possible harmful consequences, such as osteoporosis. And there is talks about artificial sweetener and cancer. I used to live on Coke. No exaggeration, 90% of my water intake was through Coke (regular Coke only, I don't touch diet anything. And thankfully no need to so far ).

Two years ago I decided to be healthy, (ha!) and quit Coke cold turkey. Now I only drink it occasionally when I go out to lunch with friends. Still love it, but I have since discovered water doesn't taste that awful either. Back then if I had to run to grocery store at midnight it was because I ran out of essentials, like Coke or toilet paper. These days, only toilet paper gets the honor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Tad off topic, but has anyone taken a break from drinking pop, and then gone back to it and find it burns to drink it? I think unless you drink it regularly, it's kinda unpleasant to drink .
    Definately. I hadn't drunk Coke for years. Decided to have a mouthful and had to spit it out. Was vile.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast