Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1. #1
    Click me with your mouse
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rude Europe
    Posts
    4,051
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    929

    Barcelona hotel suggestions

    I'm headed to Spain at the end of July and will be in Barcelona for three nights and am still looking for somewhere to stay. Does anyone have any suggestions for reasonably priced hotels in a safe/good location? I reread some of the old Spain travel threads but didn't see many hotel recommendations for Barcelona - just Hotel Lloret.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,146
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I travelled to Barcelona alone, and found the prices of hotels to be high for what I needed (just a place to sleep for one person). I stayed at Residencia Campus del Mar - which is basically like a university residence. I can't remember if they have different styles of rooms, but for about $60, I had a private room with ensuite bathroom and a kitchenette (complete with food for breakfast). It was not glamourous but I felt safe and it was comfortable and quiet. The front desk was very nice and wifi was free. It was walking distance to the beach and to the subway, which easily connects you to anywhere.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Jani-Ayil
    Posts
    3,313
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It's been several years now, but I stayed at the Hotel Taber, which is just around the corner from La Rambla. It's a decent, three-star hotel -- nothing special, but it will do.

  4. #4
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    18,210
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    19005
    I liked the Hotel Granvia when I was there:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Catalonia.html

    The rooms were plain, but clean and comfortable, the people at the front desk were very nice, and I liked the breakfast a lot. (I skip eggs and other cooked breakfast food, and I can't speak to them.)
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

  5. #5
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,687
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    15340
    For my last night in Barcelona, I stayed at the Barcelo Sants hotel, because I had a very early flight, and the hotel is built on top of a major train station. The ride to the airport was only about 15 minutes. It's a business hotel, so more pragmatic than charming, but it has this funky space age theme that is hilariously awesome.

    For the rest of my stay in the city, I was in a hotel just off La Ramble, but if I go to Barcelona again I would not stay in that area - the noise didn't bother me, I felt totally safe travelling alone, and certainly the location in relation to other parts of the city was very good, but it's just like being in the middle of spring break all the time.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Jani-Ayil
    Posts
    3,313
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    For the rest of my stay in the city, I was in a hotel just off La Ramble, but if I go to Barcelona again I would not stay in that area - the noise didn't bother me, I felt totally safe travelling alone, and certainly the location in relation to other parts of the city was very good, but it's just like being in the middle of spring break all the time.


  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    9,492
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1231
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenya View Post
    I'm headed to Spain at the end of July and will be in Barcelona for three nights and am still looking for somewhere to stay. Does anyone have any suggestions for reasonably priced hotels in a safe/good location? I reread some of the old Spain travel threads but didn't see many hotel recommendations for Barcelona - just Hotel Lloret.

    Thanks in advance.
    I have a list, and my favorites. What is your budget? How many people? what exact dates? (Barcelona is usually sold out in July, as far as better hotels for reasonable prices).

  8. #8
    Beach Bum
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Maryland burbs and shore
    Posts
    12,988
    vCash
    583
    Rep Power
    5666
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I liked the Hotel Granvia when I was there:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Catalonia.html

    The rooms were plain, but clean and comfortable, the people at the front desk were very nice, and I liked the breakfast a lot. (I skip eggs and other cooked breakfast food, and I can't speak to them.)

    I second the Granvia. We stayed there almost a week, and I really liked it. Reasonably priced. Very convenient too.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    9,492
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1231
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I second the Granvia. We stayed there almost a week, and I really liked it. Reasonably priced. Very convenient too.
    I third the Granvia! (my number 1 choice for budget hotel in safe, nice, very central location - 2 blocks from the best Gaudi buildings, and the best pedestrian streets in town)!

    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The rooms were plain, but clean and comfortable.......
    Unless one reserves a room with a balcony…. On the top level. It is more than just a “balcony”, it is a whole patio…..

    The smaller rooms which look inside the courtyard have a very “industrial view” – pipes and metal structures… .
    Last edited by Tinami Amori; 05-31-2012 at 08:49 PM.

  10. #10
    Click me with your mouse
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rude Europe
    Posts
    4,051
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    929
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    I have a list, and my favorites. What is your budget? How many people? what exact dates? (Barcelona is usually sold out in July, as far as better hotels for reasonable prices).
    It's just going to be me and I'll be there from 31 July - 3 August. I would prefer to stay around 100 Euros/night, but I'm willing to look at options that cost more, too, given that it's high season.

    Thanks for all of the suggestions.

  11. #11
    Beach Bum
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Maryland burbs and shore
    Posts
    12,988
    vCash
    583
    Rep Power
    5666
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    Unless one reserves a room with a balcony…. On the top level. It is more than just a “balcony”, it is a whole patio…..

    The smaller rooms which look inside the courtyard have a very “industrial view” – pipes and metal structures… .
    We had a street view and a huge window that opened with a little juliet balcony so it was like sitting outside (no patio though). But there was a patio for all guests and several other nice sitting areas. And a huge bathroom!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    9,492
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1231
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenya View Post
    It's just going to be me and I'll be there from 31 July - 3 August. I would prefer to stay around 100 Euros/night, but I'm willing to look at options that cost more, too, given that it's high season.

    Thanks for all of the suggestions.
    The safest, tourist friendly area, where people walk around all day long and late into the night, with several pedestrian area (which is relatively safe for a woman traveling alone) is located in the following “rectangle”. You want to be in the area where there is a lot of people, you have easy access to bars, social places, restaurants, and can walk into your hotel just few blocks away at any time of day and night, especially night.

    So here is the “rectangle” you want to be in:

    North Side: not above more than 1 block from Ave. Diagonal
    South Side: not below more than 1 block down from P-za Catalunya/North end of Barrio Gotic (Gothic Quarters), where P-za Catalunuya becomes street Ronda de Sant Pere.
    West Side: Rambala de Catalunya (which becomes La Rumbala)
    East Side: after Passeig de Gracia (main street), next street Carrer de Pau Claris, which becomes towards the water Via Laeitana.

    PLEASE NOTE: some hotel booking websites give your TOTAL PRICE for all nights, not per single night. So when you see “your booking is $ 450 USD” it means for 4 nights total, not a cost of single night.

    Hotels in the specified “rectangle” under 130 Euro/per night.
    Rambla area/centre.

    1st - HOTEL CONTINENTAL – BARCELONA
    Rooms available – run between 92 and 122 euro
    http://www.hotelcontinental.com/web/

    2nd– NH Hotel Calderon Barcelona – 105 to 125 euro
    http://www.nh-hotels.com/nh/en/hotel...source=adwords

    3rd – Hotel Praktik Barcelona – boutique hotel 95 to 125 euro.
    http://www.hotelpraktikrambla.com/

    4th – HOTEL AVENIDA PALACE (Grand Vie avenue) – 4* Hotel, but promotional rate for your date – 108 Euro per night, single room.
    http://www.avenidapalace.com/en

    Do read hotel-guest reviews for your self please (TripAdvisor, etc). You may have criteria which I did not consider.

  13. #13
    Click me with your mouse
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rude Europe
    Posts
    4,051
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    929
    Thank you very much for the suggestions, Tinami, I'll look into them today.

  14. #14
    Click me with your mouse
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rude Europe
    Posts
    4,051
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    929
    Bumping this up to say thanks again for the tips - I booked a room at the Hotel Granvia thanks to all of your great reviews.

    I have a reservation in Madrid (I'll be there 27 - 31 July) but if anyone has any recommendations for hotels there, I would appreciate it - thanks in advance again.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    9,492
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1231
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenya View Post
    I have a reservation in Madrid (I'll be there 27 - 31 July) but if anyone has any recommendations for hotels there, I would appreciate it - thanks in advance again.
    Which hotel in Madrid? How many days will you stay in Madird? which dates?

    The best located hotels are on a central street Gran Via. It's a noisy nasty street. There are "charming hotels" but they are not exactly in the centre. There are "short term appartments for rent" VERY close to P-za Mayor, but I need to know dates.

    Give me ALL info about your stay in Madird, and what your intentions are... to sight see, to have romantic time with lover, to stay while tending some other business, a base to travel to Toledo and other day trips?

    What's your fantasy and expectations from Madrid.... and BUDGET?

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,911
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yes Jenya, tell us about the fantasies you have with regards to Madrid
    Tinami, she's staying here which is where I stayed in once, 27-31 of July

  17. #17
    Click me with your mouse
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rude Europe
    Posts
    4,051
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    929
    Quote Originally Posted by mila19 View Post
    Yes Jenya, tell us about the fantasies you have with regards to Madrid
    Tinami, she's staying here which is where I stayed in once, 27-31 of July
    Actually, I changed my reservation and now I'm staying at Hotel Atlantico. http://www.hotelatlantico.es/es/home/ They had a great offer for 4 nights.

    Tinami, I want to make sure that this is a good/safe location and easy for accessing the major sights. I do plan on taking a day trip to Toledo, but other than that I have no firm plans yet other than sightseeing in Madrid.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,911
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh I remember that building, j'adore the cupola ...there's a well stocked Zara under it and near there's Calle Fuencarral <3 shopping wise cause there's a Mango outlet lol. Did you get it with Trivago? It is very noisy though if the room faces the Gran Via.
    It's is very central btw. It's near Puerta del Sol, Calle Toledo where the nice espadrilles are and Plaza Mayor also near the Cibeles Palace.
    Last edited by mila19; 06-03-2012 at 12:28 PM.

  19. #19
    Click me with your mouse
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rude Europe
    Posts
    4,051
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    929
    Tinami (and anyone else), do you recommend Toledo or Sevilla for a daytrip from Madrid? I was planning on Toledo but mila is convincing me that Sevilla would be better.

  20. #20
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    18,210
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    19005
    Seville is a wonderful city. A day trip is definitely do-able -- 2.5-3 hours each way on the fast train -- and it's a very walkable city, but there's a lot to take in: just off the top of my head, the Cathedral, the Moorish tower, Triana, the Bullring, the pedestrian shopping area.
    I've never been to Toledo, and don't know if you'd get more from a day there.

    If you do get to the Cathedral, head to the back corner by the gift shop and follow it all the way back to the big meeting room: it's gorgeous.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •