Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Travel to Italy

vCash
    Angelskates, so you know, you can take photos in the Vatican.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Angelskates, so you know, you can take photos in the Vatican.
    I know Thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Thanks ping, where in Italy are you? (Sorry if I've already asked). It was funny when I arrived in Rome - the first sign I was was "Welcome to Rome" written in Chinese with a big picture of the Colosseum!
    I live in Milan I'm not surprised that you saw that sign, there have been a lot of chinese tourists here (well, at least where I live) in the recent years.
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

Prick Admin
    vCash

Most disappointing thing (aside from being sick!) was that I didn't get an Italia stamp in my passport!!
    Probably because you entered the Schengen Area when you arrived in Germany.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    It's also weird to have cars stop to let pedestrians cross at the zebra crossings! In China, they're just road decorations
    If you're good at dodging traffic, you'll be right at home in Rome. My poor friend was not so bold and almost got run over a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Yes, that's what happened to us. Furthermore, we didn't even get a stamp coming into the EU because we went through an expedited customs line since our layover at Schipol was less than an hour. I was quite sad. The only stamp I have is for leaving Amsterdam!

vCash
    I guess since Europe has no money, this is saving ink. Who am I to argue?...
    No it is not that.. You've entered EU/schengen section through Germany because your first point of entry into EU was Munchen. So you got a German stamp. The Munchen-Roma flight was technically "domestic" and you did not go through customs and passport control, so no need to stamp your passport.

You'll get one out of Milan when leaving....

vCash
    Not necessarily, I drove from Slovenia to Venice, in 2003. Before Slovenia was part of the area. When I crossed into Italy, they took our passports and did not stamp them. We asked for stamps, they looked incredibly annoyed, made us pull over and wait for 20 minutes . But, we got our stamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    No it is not that.. You've entered EU/schengen section through Germany because your first point of entry into EU was Munchen. So you got a German stamp. The Munchen-Roma flight was technically "domestic" and you did not go through customs and passport control, so no need to stamp your passport.

You'll get one out of Milan when leaving....
    Maybe, I've flown out of Firenze and Rome, never got a stamp. and the Rome flight was Rome to Newark, non-stop.

vCash
    Meh, if the stamp (or lack of) is the most disappointing thing about the trip, I'll be delighted!

vCash
    Not necessarily, I drove from Slovenia to Venice, in 2003. Before Slovenia was part of the area. When I crossed into Italy, they took our passports and did not stamp them. We asked for stamps, they looked incredibly annoyed, made us pull over and wait for 20 minutes . But, we got our stamps.

Maybe. I've flown out of Firenze and Rome, never got a stamp. and the Rome flight was Rome to Newark, non-stop.
    Ok.....

When you flown ex Rome or Firenze directly to USA, yes you were on an international flight, and yes you had to go through passport control, but it was bound for the USA.

US Citizens do NOT require to have Schengen Visas to Europe, so the passport control procedures differ from flights which service origins/destination of countries from which citizens do require a Schengen Visa.

One of the conditions of Schengen visa for visa holders, if they do not want to be black-listed for next time, is to LEAVE BEFORE YOUR SCHENGEN VISA EXPIRES.

In order to register "exit" for Schengen Visa holders, the customs at the last port of exist from the EU/schengen zone do two things:
    a) Scan the Passport into the "departure database" for their own records.

b) Put a stamp into the departing schengen-holder's passport to give him/her a PROOF OF TIMELY EXIST according to Visa Rules.

Most passengers on the flight ex EU/Schengen zone to USA/Canada/etc, are NOT Schengen visa holders and their passports do not get stamped automatically. If one needs a stamp - ONE MUST ASK FOR IT.

However... In case of Angelskates, she is comming from and going back to China. Chinese citizens do need Schengen Visa. Angelskate is an Auzzie, but she is on a flight from/to a zone (China) which requires Schengen Visa for most passengers.

So the customs/passport control will process to/from China flights with all the Schengen requirements in mind.

If Angelskates flight ex MXP/Milan is direct to PEK/Pekin - she'll get exist stamp automatically.

If her flight ex MXP back to Munchen or Frankfurt and then on to PEK - she'll get her stamp ex German airport.

vCash
    Angelskates, when you get to Tivoli, Villa D’Este tomorrow, if you get a chance can you please bring a snack for feral cats who live there?

You will see them when you get to the main fountain (see the right lower corner of this foto), there is a feral cats colony, cats who live there in the bushes, and people bring cat snack to feed them. Or some buy “something cheesy” or “milky” at the snack stand right there. Or one can buy and bring a cat food from a store in Rome, or cottage cheese jar, or something…. These cats depend on people feeding them.

This is were you can find most of the cats (lower right corner).
    http://bagnidilucca.files.wordpress....8/img_0422.jpg

These are the cats, well few of them.
    http://daypic.ru/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/1411.jpg

http://honeybadgerhall.blogspot.com/...-of-italy.html

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/4501825

(this is not me, just a foto)
    http://justmarriedblog.files.wordpre...pg?w=398&h=600

(only if you have a chance, and if you will, then THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!...)

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Not necessarily, I drove from Slovenia to Venice, in 2003. Before Slovenia was part of the area.
    Well, I wasn't talking about 2003. I was talking about now.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I will take something for the cats, Tinami!

And I will be sure to report back on if I get a stamp on my exit from Milan

Today was overwhelming. I went on my first tour, to the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's. I spent the whole time in awe. I took 440 photos and ran out of space on my Nikon, so starting using my iPhone. The tour guide was fabulous.

I am convinced that even the most comfortable shoes in the world become uncomfortable after walking half a day in Rome!

vCash
    Well, I wasn't talking about 2003. I was talking about now.
    True

vCash

Today was overwhelming. I went on my first tour, to the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's. I spent the whole time in awe. I took 440 photos and ran out of space on my Nikon, so starting using my iPhone. The tour guide was fabulous.

I am convinced that even the most comfortable shoes in the world become uncomfortable after walking half a day in Rome!
    I'm glad that you are enjoying your trip so much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I'm glad that you are enjoying your trip so much.
    Thank you! I wanted this trip for a real break, a time to reflect on things and think about my future and my past. It's been emotional already, but really good for me as well.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash

Isn't it all completely gob smacking!!!!! I also was in awe, and unable to find enough superlatives to describe all 3 places.

How were the crowds in the cattle pen......err......I mean the Sistine?

Did you know that *every* "painting/mural" in St Peter's is actually all mosaic tile?!!!!! The most intricate detailed mosaics made of half inch square tiles. Astonishing
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    Isn't it all completely gob smacking!!!!! I also was in awe, and unable to find enough superlatives to describe all 3 places.

How were the crowds in the cattle pen......err......I mean the Sistine?

Did you know that *every* "painting/mural" in St Peter's is actually all mosaic tile?!!!!! The most intricate detailed mosaics made of half inch square tiles. Astonishing
    Actually even though there were a lot of people, I never felt it was crowded. I was almost in my own little world...or maybe I'm just used to crowds living in Beijing and all

Yes, I learnt that about the mosaics today! AND that the white statues were originally brightly coloured! Colour me stunned!

At the moment I am in the process of organising a horse riding trip in Florence!
    Last edited by Angelskates; 06-22-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Have fun horse riding! Wow! In Florence? How fabulous.

Loving your blog. Brings back lots of memories, and also feeling your joy. Neat

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    Have fun horse riding! Wow! In Florence? How fabulous.

Loving your blog. Brings back lots of memories, and also feeling your joy. Neat
    My name is Anita, so everyone calls me Neat or Neats (but you may call me Angelskates )

I love horse riding, and Florence sounds like a great place to ride. Plus it's on my list of 33 things I want to do before I turn 33.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    My name is Anita, so everyone calls me Neat or Neats

I love horse riding, and Florence sounds like a great place to ride. Plus it's on my list of 33 things I want to do before I turn 33.
    Yeah, I got it. Not laughing at you, laughing at my own (lame) joke.

Also love horse riding but haven't done it for yrs. Think my next rides will be elephant, followed by camel in India later this year.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast