Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel to Italy

vCash
    Angelskates, have a glorious trip; the experience of a lifetime!
    Safe and happy travels.

Would you share the link to your blog, again?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    ^^ Be careful in Rome. There are a lot of pick-pockets and beggars around the Trevi Fountain, other outdoor sites, and in the subways. The pick-pockets are VERY talented, so watch your purse/pockets.
    I am careful everywhere. Beijing also has talented pickpockets and beggars .

Alos, I am confused, you have July 1 and 2 scheduled for Firenze and Siena/San Gimignano, then you skip to July 5 to leave for Venice. Will you be in Firenze from the 1st to the 5th? Does that mean you will have 2 days to explore Firenze, beyond the tours?
    I'll be in Florence for 5 nights

An FYI, it's aout 470 steps to the top of the Campanile of the Duomo, but well worth it!
    470 steps in nothing - the Great Wall is much more...I plan to climb to the top of the Duomo for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Angelskates, have a glorious trip; the experience of a lifetime!
    Safe and happy travels.

Would you share the link to your blog, again?
    Sure. It's here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    470 steps in nothing - the Great Wall is much more...I plan to climb to the top of the Duomo for sure!
    Glad you said that. I've climbed on the Great Wall twice. At least the steps in the Duomo are a lot more uniform. The dome is actually two domes, one inside the other, you actually go through the two domes. This was done to give it strength with less weight. Towards the top, in the cupola, it gets a little more difficult, if you're tall. As the dome curves, so does the ceiling. And getting out onto the platform around the campanile is a bit tight - basically a trap door. I've done it twice, loved it! One thing that is interesting, is to look at the perspective of the dome frescoes from the floor and then from the loggia level. You rarely get to see the intentional distortion, up close. As much as Brunelleschi's genius construction of the dome is amazing, Vasari's frescoes are equally amazing.

Have a wonderful time. I am so jealous! Will you keep your blog updated while you travel?

vCash
    Have a wonderful time. I am so jealous! Will you keep your blog updated while you travel?
    I hope to

vCash
    If you want to have a look, here's my photo album from Florence, when vacationing with my hubby in September 2010 : http://www.mgrecords.ch/Florence_2010/

vCash
    It's here.
    Put some fotos if you get a chance! Have a great trip!

(P.S. at your blog's mention of Forza Italia... that's Berlusconi's Party..... )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    Put some fotos if you get a chance! Have a great trip!

(P.S. at your blog's mention of Forza Italia... that's Berlusconi's Party..... )
    I definitely plan to take lots of photos. I'm debating taking my extra zoom though...I'll have to lug it around! I have a Nikon D70, and an extra Tamron zoom for it....opinions?

vCash
    I definitely plan to take lots of photos. I'm debating taking my extra zoom though...I'll have to lug it around! I have a Nikon D70, and an extra Tamron zoom for it....opinions?
    Don't bring it, you'll wish you hadn't.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Have a wonderful, wonderful trip!
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Don't bring it, you'll wish you hadn't.
    Why? I usually do the opposite and that's just in Beijing! In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't weight that much and if I don't want to take it around, I can always leave it at the hotel. Why do you think I'll regret taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Have a wonderful, wonderful trip!
    Thank you!

vCash
    Only because it's fragile and you'll have to carry it. I always regret bringing my Nikon and lenses. A smaller, purse sized camera is so much easier. But, if you won't mind schlepping it, you should bring it.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Bon Voyage

May you have the best holiday ever!
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Bon Voyage Angelskates.. Italy will always be my favourite vacation place and take all your camera gear as you will want to take amazing pics.. a year later I'm still enjoying all the pictures we took on our digital album that plays all the time in our living room..

Have a great time..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    After a delay in Munich, I am here! The hotel is really well located, comfie bed and great shower. I've been really sick today so haven't explored much yet. Updated my website and am now resting for another hour or so before going out to lunch and exploring!

I'm having dinner at Trastevere tomorrow night and Castelli Romani Saturday

Most disappointing thing (aside from being sick!) was that I didn't get an Italia stamp in my passport!!

vCash
    In Italy, you have to ask for a stamp.

I hope you feel better. Did you bring antibiotics, just in case? I went to Paris a few years ago, shortly after having oral surgery. My doctor insisted that I take antibiotics, in case I got an infection. Well, my teeth were fine, but I wound up with a fever, swollen glands and a sore throat, the first day. It was fortuitous that I had the meds, and Advil, felt better in a day or so. Now, I bring them with me if I leave the country.

Just me
    vCash
    I hope you feel better soon so you can enjoy your vacation.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I hope you feel better soon so you can enjoy your vacation.
    Echoing this!

vCash
    In Italy, you have to ask for a stamp.
    I guess since Europe has no money, this is saving ink. Who am I to argue?

I hope you feel better. Did you bring antibiotics, just in case? I went to Paris a few years ago, shortly after having oral surgery. My doctor insisted that I take antibiotics, in case I got an infection. Well, my teeth were fine, but I wound up with a fever, swollen glands and a sore throat, the first day. It was fortuitous that I had the meds, and Advil, felt better in a day or so. Now, I bring them with me if I leave the country.
    Thanks, I am feeling better. REALLY tired, but better. I did not bring antibiotics, I am not allowed to take medications without a doctor's actual supervision since I am already on medications and have several health issues and no health insurance. I would never take antibiotics without an appointment to see a doctor.

Today I had a lot of fun getting lost. I found a lot of cool stuff, some really famous (the Spanish Steps, St. Peter's Basilica etc.) and some not (all the food I ate, some cool doors and windows) and the Google Maps helped me find my way back to the hotel.

I want to photograph EVERYTHING - I've taken 324 photos already! I can't imagine not having digital I am very glad I brought the extra zoom.

Tomorrow I am going to the Vatican, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica on a morning tour. I'm going to Travestere for dinner with my friend and some of her friends.

The hardest thing so far: remembering they don't speak Chinese and remembering to flush toilet paper. It's also weird to have cars stop to let pedestrians cross at the zebra crossings! In China, they're just road decorations A lot of things remind me a of Beijing, or not so much remind me, but I have noticed similarities - the importance of elaborate doors, attention to details (especially in roofs), the magazine stands...

vCash
    Welcome to Italy
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

vCash
    Thanks ping, where in Italy are you? (Sorry if I've already asked). It was funny when I arrived in Rome - the first sign I was was "Welcome to Rome" written in Chinese with a big picture of the Colosseum!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast