vCash

Companies that have Work from Home Opportunities - Not Amazon, Ebay, or Etsy

I'll keep this as short as I can. I work with a number of people who need to work. Some of them receive assistance from government, religious or other organizations. The woman I am trying to help right now is about to be cut off for the last time from all assistance. She always says she is too ill to work (I don't know if she is or not). She has been denied disability several times. This woman is intelligent, capable, strong willed, dynamic, and speaks fluent French. She is also obese, stubborn, and without resources (like a car).

Because her situation is becoming desperate, I am looking for some work opportunities that she might be able to do at home. I don't know if she will take advantage of any of them. That's up to her.

Some of the ones I know of are

- Jet Blue
    - Convergys
    - Taking surveys (I don't know how to make this pay enough for an actual income.)

If you know of any companies that offer work at home opportunities, could you please list them. Thank you.

vCash
    I supported myself doing freelance writing for educational publishers. You would need to have a teaching license or degree in education though.

What about medical transcription? My cousin has done that at home for year- though it also requires specialized training. I also had a neighbor who was a call center supervisor from home. The call center was in India, she was located in Iowa (though it was kind of funny because she was actually Indian; people would yell at her that they wanted to speak to someone in the United States, and she WAS in the US.)

How about this:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurashi...-jobs-in-2014/

vCash
    Surveys are good for pocket money.

A lot of on-line positions require a PC, medical transcription is an example of that. The opportunities for Mac users are much more limited, but Apple does here in home consultants (in Canada, they only hire French speaking) .

vCash
    My mom used to do dispatch from home. I don't know if that's still done, but she worked for a carpet cleaning company. She was who customers would call to set up appointments. A friend of hers did dispatch for a cab company, from home. But these jobs don't offer flexible hours - you have a specific shift, and you need to be available at that time.

I teach college classes online, but you need at least a masters degree plus both college teaching and industry experience, and I'd imagine you'd have mentioned if she had a masters or etc. I mention it, though, just in case.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    she may want to check craigslist or other places for data entry type job. I think a lot of these are done remotely.
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    My mom used to do dispatch from home. I don't know if that's still done, but she worked for a carpet cleaning company. She was who customers would call to set up appointments. A friend of hers did dispatch for a cab company, from home. But these jobs don't offer flexible hours - you have a specific shift, and you need to be available at that time.
    I hear people are still doing that. That's probably the most sustainable route.

http://usertesting.com/ is another form of survey. You try out websites and talk on your computer mic about using it. It's easiest on a laptop, because laptops come with mics. You do need a fairly recent computer to do this, since they install special software and I don't think a dinosaur from the 90's is gonna cut it.

You get paid $10 a test, for about 20-30 minutes of talking. If you have a smartphone or iPad and you do 5 website tests, they'll send you a special webcam to do mobile tests and get paid $15 each for those.

The trick is that the site is getting popular and the tests sometimes require very specific populations, so sometimes you don't qualify for any tests for a while. But it does pay better than typical surveys, and more fun, I think.

vCash
    Thanks Anita18!
    I'm gonna try this out. Maybe it will be interesting.
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    This site has lots: http://www.flexjobs.com/

You do have to pay to sign up, and it's one of those deals where, if you forget to cancel, it will charge your card. To avoid that, I just signed up, paid, then immediately went into my account settings to request to deactivate the account at the end of 3 months. My account ended when it was supposed to, and I wasn't charged anything beyond what I was supposed to be charged.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash

vCash
    Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think this woman has finished high school. I'm pretty sure she can't afford to subscribe to the job search web sites. If she gets serious, we might be able to find a way for her to use one of the sites. For now she is still determined to work the system. Maybe she will be successful. I may do some searching on the web sites myself.

vCash
    I think it will be very difficult to find a telecommuting job for someone without a high school diploma (or a college degree actually)
    Sorry

vCash
    I know there is a company that hires at home workers to do customer service work for home shopping channels and thing like that. You have to have a dedicated landline and computer, but the pay is pretty good, especially if you take night shifts.

vCash
    I did not start this thread but it has relevant for me info! Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    The person I need to help is in a somewhat different situation: college degree, some post-graduate work, decent computer skills (including programming in a few languages, but nothing advanced or cutting edge), but not great English + near retirement age. The latter two make finding typical employment nearly impossible. Some links posted above might be helpful, so I'll forward the info. But if anyone has additional ideas for the type of situation I described, please post them!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ania View Post
    I did not start this thread but it has relevant for me info! Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    The person I need to help is in a somewhat different situation: college degree, some post-graduate work, decent computer skills (including programming in a few languages, but nothing advanced or cutting edge), but not great English + near retirement age. The latter two make finding typical employment nearly impossible. Some links posted above might be helpful, so I'll forward the info. But if anyone has additional ideas for the type of situation I described, please post them!
    A lot of big websites still use Microsoft ASP.net, and not many young developers are bothering to learn it. Someone I know was acquihired by Apple (he isn't allowed to say details) but Mac pundits think it was because he could program in an unusual, uncommon language that could speed up the iPhone camera. He built an app to prove his knowledge. Speaking as someone trying to break into tech, proving your abilities directly has taken me farther than simply asking people to please hire me.

The not-great English will be a stumbling block though, since there wouldn't be much differentiating him from some Elance programmer in India willing to work for $5/hour.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ania View Post
    Is he fluent in a different language? Could he do translation work? There are a couple of companies here, locally, that do translation work for clients all over the world. They are always looking for people who can do excellent translation work - especially technical work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtisticFan View Post
    I know there is a company that hires at home workers to do customer service work for home shopping channels and thing like that. You have to have a dedicated landline and computer, but the pay is pretty good, especially if you take night shifts.
    Convergys - a company I mentioned in the first post - does calling work. I don't know if it's surveys, or what. It is this kind of work I think this lady could do. Jet Blue does most of their reservations with work at home agents. If you think of the name of the company you know of, please post it.