Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Photoshopping beauty in 25 different countries

This was a very interesting experiment. A woman sent her photograph to editors in 25 different countries with the simple request of "make me beautiful." It's kind of interesting to see some of the different international standards of beauty show up, although in some cases the only thing showing up is the individual editor's standard of beauty or in some cases lack of talent with photoshop (Australian editor, looking at you).

Some countries recognized that the woman didn't actually need much help in the beauty department, and did very little. Argentina went full-on Miss Universe. Greece went Uncanny Valley. Germany went "Shooting through gauze". The United States was actually one of the most disturbing to me. The photoshopper made her look about 9. So....nine years old is the standard of beauty for that guy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...ef=mostpopular

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    The United States was actually one of the most disturbing to me. The photoshopper made her look about 9. So....nine years old is the standard of beauty for that guy.
    That was my thought too, before reading your comment. Yikes.

However it's also in line with a lot of what happens in the fashion mag industry, where 17-yr-old models are made to look like 12-yr-olds trying to look like 30-yr-olds.

I wonder what the Morocco one looks like, which is mentioned in the article but not show. Just a full-on hijab?

vCash
    Seems like the majority of the interventions, aside from airbrushing, were adding different styles of makeup.

Are there studies of the different ways women use cosmetics in various cultures?

Surely there are across different time periods even from the same culture. E.g., it's interesting to look at Hollywood movies trying to represent historical time periods -- regardless of the time period being depicted, you can often identify when the film was made based on how the actresses are made up.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    She used Fiverr, so we can safely assume that zero of these Photoshoppers were professionals, so that's another consideration. Just because the US version looks crazy, doesn't mean it's what our mainstream media requires. The artist is definitely not a professional retoucher. For $5, that's a lot of digital painting right there.

The Australian artist needs to know how blush works. Dear lord.

vCash
    My reaction as well was that some of them were very badly done, looking unprofessional. It would be interesting to see how Vogue (for instance) in different countries would edit the same cover shot - might be a better indicator?
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

vCash
    What's with India removing the collar bones? Why?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    My reaction as well was that some of them were very badly done, looking unprofessional. It would be interesting to see how Vogue (for instance) in different countries would edit the same cover shot - might be a better indicator?
    That WOULD be a better experiment....but considerably more expensive! I guess one thing these results show is that you get what you pay for.

The Ukraine one doesn't look bad.

vCash
    Germany made her look like a ghost!

Australia made her look like a clown (Anita18, I'm sure they know how to do blush, just not photoshops).

US made her look like a young child.

Actually, most of them were unsurprising, unprofessional, yes, and therefore not a great indication of what is really possible, but unsurprising. Most Australian magazine shots don't make the women look like clowns, though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    What's with India removing the collar bones? Why?
    I actually had to go back and look at the original after seeing India, and then the next one- because I thought that while India smoothed them, the next one down jutted them out to make her look way too skinny. Turns out, she is just really skinny and her bones stick out like that. So while I think some bone would be nice, and India smoothed too far, my personal standard for beauty (if I was asked to do "perfect" which exists on no person) would have slightly less bone.

The US one is creepy. She looks like a child. It is the only one that I find truly worrisome.

The eyebrows on some of them are a bit crazy.

vCash
    On this link here there's another one from the US that's really disturbing. It's the one right after the Philippines one.

I actually like the Morocco one.

vCash
    I find it funny that the Phillippines one turned her into a ladyboy.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Living in a Snark
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    This.
    I don't know who did the Argentinean version, because no argentinian woman would be caught dead wearing that much of everything...well, maybe a 14 year old trying to look older.
    D&S 2006 and 2007 World Gold Medalists

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    The eyebrows on some of them are a bit crazy.
    It looks like Israel bothered to futz around with only one of them.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I wonder what the Morocco one looks like, which is mentioned in the article but not show. Just a full-on hijab?
    The first picture is from Morocco. It's labeled better is this article:

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainm...cle625079.html
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I am surprised more changes weren't made to her hairstyle.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    What's interesting to me is that Esther Honig is almost certainly an Ashkenazi Jewish girl, and the 3 countries that left her most au naturel were Romania, Ukraine and Israel. (She reminds me a bit of a young Nadia Comaneci.)

Even if the photoshoppers varied in talent and professionalism, there really are some markers of cultural beauty -- the UK version is interesting as are the East and South Asian takes.

I've been photoshopped only once, by a friend who took photos for dating sites in the days when I did that. He's an Irish-French thirtysomething son of a friend and I had to keep him from "pinking" my own olive skin too much, I was not trying to nordicize myself!
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    PRlady, bring it on

vCash
    I've been photoshopped only once, by a friend who took photos for dating sites in the days when I did that
    I had some photos taken of me by a fabulous photographer who then edited the photos. I still looked like myself in every one of them, but man was it a better version of me!
    Mostly he evened out the tone of my skin, especially under the eyes, and whitened my teeth a bit, but he slimmed down my thighs a bit in some of them and opened my eyes up a bit in others. . Really the bigger help in those photos was the professional hair and make up. If I had my hair and makeup done every morning I'd be gorgeous! But it took like 3 hours, so, that's out.

There was a photographer who was popular for senior pictures when I was in school and he would often enhance breasts. That always creeped me out. Why would I want bigger breasts in my senior photos. People would know I don't look like that.

vCash
    FSUer photoshoped!
    Take one

Take two

Take three
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    Wait, that's photoshoped???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast