Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    I will miss Vanya and Vismaya. Now I will root for Arvind, Nicholas, and Lena. With a little Emma and Frank thrown in on the side.

With only 9 finalists, this could be a short program this evening. I always hope for a tie.

vCash
    I'm rooting for Arvind; I remember him from last year and he seems like a real nice kid.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    I'm liking Gifton and Nicholas. I think Gifton's repetition of "sir" may also have a calming effect on him....like a mantra.

vCash
    Jacques Bailey has been the pronouncer for this for awhile. I think he does a great job.

According to this and this, he won in 1980 and his full-time job is a professor classics at the University of Vermont.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Holy crap, I think they were making up half of these words because I had a WTH?! moment after every single one of them, LOL

Congrats to all these kids for doing such awesome jobs and especially big congrats to the winner!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    I'm liking Gifton and Nicholas. I think Gifton's repetition of "sir" may also have a calming effect on him....like a mantra.
    That's a distinctive trait of the Jamaican spellers. They always come with a "Thank you, Sir". On the other hand, the Jamaican spellers are pretty much responsible for the time clock. The wasn't one several years ago, but the Jamaican spellers used to take forever to spell. I remember one girl taking nearly 10 minutes before she would spell. The time clock was pretty inevitable after that.

I went to a birthday part tonight so I am now going to watch it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I didn't say that she was, but even if it's spread out throughout the year, I still say that is too many activities for any six-year-old.
    If you don't have experience with gifted children, then it would seem to be too much. These kinds of kids need constant stimulation and challenges to function "normally". Their brains never stop thinking at a high level, questioning and analyzing every mundane little detail. They think in a completely different way than their peers. Many times they excel at activities that would take the average person months or years to master. If they are not involved in lots of activities, they simply cannot function. And before you ask, I do have first hand experience.

From the article, the child seems to know when enough is enough and it's time to be a six year old again. Her parents sound like they're trying to do their best to keep her a child while satisfying her unquenchable thirst for knowledge.

For the person who asked earlier, in a public school setting this child would be in Kindergarten or 1st grade depending on when her birthday falls and when the state's cut-off date is.

I don't envy her parents. They have a tough road ahead to try to keep her as "normal" as possible.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    If you don't have experience with gifted children, then it would seem to be too much.
    I do, and I stand by my point.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    If you don't have experience with gifted children, then it would seem to be too much.
    I think some may be confusing gifted children with highly/profoundly gifted children.

Gifted children need more stimulation and academic acceleration, but are generally not that different than other kids their age. Highly gifted children are in a whole other league as you described.

Having experience with gifted children doesn't really speak to the needs of highly gifted children. And unfortunately, far too often society's response to such children is to hold them back rather than let them soar.

vCash
    ^^^ This. Blame "No Child Left Behind". Most schools focus on the struggling kids to help them pass so they don't lose funding. The gifted and highly gifted are not pushed because they perform just fine and are not in danger of failing. JMHO.

vCash
    Congrats to the winner.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Blame "No Child Left Behind".
    There I'll have to disagree with you. NCLB basically documented problems in the system--it didn't create them.

Factors that I think *are* responsible would bring us into PI territory, so I'll leave it at that.

A hearty congrats to this year's winner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12