Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Congrats to Michelle!

vCash
    "espnW's countdown of the top 40 athletes of the Title IX era continues with No. 20 Michelle Kwan" - video link: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7946243

Countdown is at #18 as of today (Kwan's profile is linked from here - click on "20-16"): http://espn.go.com/espnw/title-ix/to...male-athletes/

ETA link to the explanatory article: http://espn.go.com/espnw/title-ix/78...n-introduction

(I didn't feel like starting yet another new thread for the Kween! )
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-30-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    While it's a neat honour and all, why would Americans (or anyone else who doesn't live in the host country) be invited to carry the torch within the host country when it's not the US?
    I was curious about that, too.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Maybe because besides rowing and equestrian sports, there aren't enough of them from Britan?
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    it is an honor, i think it is because

Coca Cola is one of the Olympic Sponsors that is why.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Maybe because besides rowing and equestrian sports, there aren't enough of them from Britan?
    I think we medalled in 13/14 (ok I checked and it was only 11!) different sports at the last Olympics alone so I don't' think that is the reason!

The majority of the 8000 torchbearers aren't athletes but people nominated by their local communities. Coca Cola as a presenting partner was given a number of places to fill and (I am guessing) as they are a US based company decided to fill their allotment with US representatives and I think only two of those are Olympians.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I think it might have more to do with an effort to be inclusive of athletes of other countries, i.e., the Olympic ideal of helping to bring nations together. Britain has had many successful Olympians, especially at the summer Games, but (unless I'm mistaken) carrying the torch is an honor that is somewhat diversified among nations, Olympians, Paralympians, hopefuls and "regular" folk.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I just read that Alexander Popov was also selected as one of the torchbearers. Not sure if he got it through the Sochi connection or was selected on some other basis, but lots of people get invited by various sponsors or organizing committees for a variety of reasons.

I can understand why the athletes and other people would want to do it even if it's not in their country, particularly if they're committed to the Olympic goals and principles and want to honor them by participating in whatever capacity they're invited to participate.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I have just had a look at the list of torchbearers who will run closest to my hometown and 3 of them are italians who have all performed a heroic act and in the town I was born they have someone form Buenos Aires so I guess there are people form all over the globe represented.

Ob Skating Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean are also reported to be carrying the torch at some point

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alij View Post
    Skating Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean are also reported to be carrying the torch at some point
    Well we always wondered if they carried a torch for each other at some point.

Now we know
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    That's why I drink Coke instead of Pepsi..
    I never did like the taste of Pepsi. I remember those taste test commercials from the past. One of my friends did the taste test with me during that time. I knew it was Pepsi right away. yuck!

Congratulations, Michelle!
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    congrats to Michelle, Torvill & dean , Alex all other torchbears nice honor for all

vCash
    Were any of America's Olympic-champion (gold medal) skaters also invited, e.g., Sarah, Tara, Kristi, Dorothy, , Scott, Dick, et al?

vCash
    Were any of America's Olympic-champion (gold medal) skaters also invited, e.g., Sarah, Tara, Kristi, Dorothy, , Scott, Dick, et al?
    Not by Coca-Cola. However, the list that Coca-Cola provided made it appear that the candidates were chosen more by service than by athletic achievement (most were not athletes).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Right around her 32nd birthday
    She's almost THIRTY-TWO??? How did this happen??? Aye yai yai...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by satchelpooch318 View Post
    She's almost THIRTY-TWO??? How did this happen??? Aye yai yai...
    Yeah i feel old too.

vCash
    I am almost positive that Yu Na ran in Toronto in 2010. By having representatives from other parts of the world participate, more of the world will focus on the Games.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaTurtles View Post
    They forgot Host of Nickelodeon's game show Figure It Out
    This is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Summer Sanders. Then swimming.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    the gold medalist did run use torchbearers in previous Olympics, 2002, for kristi, scott hamilton in 2002. I think most have ran with the torch except for the older ones past 1980-i am not sure. I know for 2002 the U.S picked alot of the U.S. skaters to be torchbears-some also with Olympic-partners, sponsors but nothing made a big deal out of it or mention on forums.-just saw online in paper, print and other places.

It isn't like they didn't get be a torchbearer.it.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    John Kerr tweeted:

I will be carrying the Olympic torch in Edinburgh on the 13th of June! Can't wait
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast